DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 4th September 2008 , 05:23 PM
Forum Idol

Default Self promotion!!!

My self promotion road has taken me on an uncertain path, recently i have had a website commissioned and some business cards made. since losing my friday gig i have been forced to tout for work. i have been approaching bar managers and asking the usual questions:

do you use dj's?
followed by
do you have any vacancies or looking for a dj?

now when it comes to the few that show any interest they 1stly ask do i have any mix demo's (cd's i presume) i say yes, and tell them they are downloadable off my website which can be found on my card.

right! should i give them a cd; i originally opted against this as i believed it would be easier to simply use the computer as now a days every one is on one but not every one has a cd player, dont laugh but i hate playing demo cd's i feel like i have to go out my way to play it as every thing is ipod's and mp3 players? also i think the writable cd with marker scribbled over it labeling it is really tacky???

so any advice any one or tips or better still jobs
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 5th September 2008 , 07:01 AM
Son of 'Z'

You have a point with cd's looking tacky compared to downloads, because with a d/l you don't have anything to look at.

I still prefer to give cd's out as well. I don't think people are really bothered with how the disc looks. ANd you can make the disc look better. Either get blank discs and vinl prints or use something like a lightscribe cdwriter and disc setup. They are cheap enough now ...

All they care about these days is how many friends you have. Which these days, is about 400 according to my myspace lolol
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 5th September 2008 , 09:40 AM

I agree with you that demo cd's with details scribbled on them look tacky, but its not hard to improve on this. Why not get yourself a printer that can print directly onto printable cd's? you can pick these up relatively cheap these days and they really are an excellent tool, or use a cheap cd labelling kit.

The whole point is to give the promoter/bar manager/whoever the easiest possible route to listening to your mix. Some wouldnt go to the effort of downloading a mix and listening on the computer or burning it to disk themselves, when they can be handed a cd.

Overall I think its all about presentation of yourself. You have the cards and the website so your off to a good start, but what i would do is make up an info pack, like a CV for dj's. In this pack I would have a demo cd, your card with personal info and website details, a link to other mixes online and a printed bio. Something like this puts you well above dj's who hand in 'tacky' scribbled on cd's and the whole point is to stand out from this crowd
conor_j is offline Offline
Old 5th September 2008 , 10:37 AM
Administrator

I'd pretty much echo all of Conor_j's good advice there Sureno.. The only thing I'd add is to give the promoter/manager a clear understanding of what and how diverse your musical style is, and maybe represent this further with a couple of current charts (just a top 10 would do). Most club nights have space for different styles and intensities of dance music genres, the more flexible and diverse you can be (within reason of course, and not compromising your integrity), the more 'set' opportunities you may be considered for...
Old 5th September 2008 , 10:45 AM
Forum Idol

guys your replies have been most helpful, i think from reading your replies, i need to get the cd printer and just do this info pack. my website offers 3 mix's, Deep, funky, soulful which i like to think covers 3 seperate sub genres in house i plan to have a further 3 put on but will definately get some decent looking cd's made up. cheers guys
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline