DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 29th March 2011 , 02:09 PM

Default CDJ 1000 Mk 3 as Midi Controller

Hi folks,

I am the proud owner of two CDJ1000 mk3's and wondered if it were possible to use them as midi contollers in some way? I'm sure I heard some time ago that this was possible using some program. I have a mac hooked up next to my work station.

Also would I be wasting my money buying a DJM2000 as I don't have digital decks?

Mike
Moe1andonly is offline Offline
Old 29th March 2011 , 10:15 PM
Furry Filter Phreak

You cant use them as midi controllers and there is no software that I know of that will directly let you do this, however, there are a couple DJ applications (Traktor Scratch and Serato) that can read the speed of the decks by using timecode CDs and special audio interfaces.

I personally use Traktor scratch with the Audio 8 DJ interface (willsoon replace with the audio 10 dj) and it works very well - I even think it tracks better than serato, then in generally use you would be hard pressed to tell them apart.

Basically the applications will keep audio file playback completely in sync with the timecode cd, so you can cue scratch etc wih mp3s/wavs/aiff files as if your actually playing CDs.

There is a new version of Traktor coming out in a few days - well worth a look if you are a CD/vinyl DJ looking to move to a hybrid setup.

The other thing you can do with traktor is get it to send out a midi clock of the right tempo and sync up another application (Ableton Live, Maschine, Kore, Apple Mainstage etc or even hardware fx, sequencers (MPC for eg) etc. This means I can effectively nudge and control the tempo of maschine, or ableton live or whatever from CD or vinyl decks. Run it all of a 2011 macbook pro 17.

Have a look here - http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...?category=1303

DV have all of this - generally better prices than NI web site.
Old 30th March 2011 , 07:17 AM

Many thanks Khazul for your informative reply. Looks very interesting and the link was certainly a great help. To be honest that is exactly what I meant really but I think I may have worded my question wrong. Basically with the ever growing fashiion of digital DJing I wanted to somehow operate my tracks whilst still on my Mac hard drive but still use the CDJ's for tempo etc, it seems this is exactly what your solution can do, fantastic. I have actually got Ableton but as of yet not started to delve into it. This Traktor scratch looks amazing however and is something I may be investing in very soon....

Many thanks again

Mike
Moe1andonly is offline Offline
Old 30th March 2011 , 10:00 AM
Furry Filter Phreak

Well if you have ableton live, then you should look at serato and something called serato bridge by ableton that provide integration between them.

I have allways invested in deeply Traktor scratch by the time they annouced this and so am staicking with tracktor and so in fct use it along side Ableton.

A little bit messing about is invovve keeping them in sysc, but it work, and personally I prefere much traktor as an appication because I can seemlessly filp beween using whatever controller I like and timecode control and just mixing between digital and physical media (CD/Vinyl).

The whole system I have is:
2 tech12 decks, 2 CDJ-1KMk3, DJM-800. The Trackor Scratch system consists of the NI Audio 8 DJ (soon the audio 10) which ill come to and the scratch software and leads to let you connect the NI-Audio 8 between a pair for of you decks (vinyl or CD) and your mixer. With the audio 8, if taps the signal on route into you mixer to get the time code.

It can send midi clock out/receive a midi clock in. When you install it it on OSX (not the PC version, though loop1be can do the same job) an additional virtual midi port is enabled that you can use to pass midi clock between application.

What is nice about the Audio 8DJ (apart from it being a decent sounding relaible interface for use with DJ gear) is that it can support multi applciations - so Live and Traktor can use it at the tie same.

In traktor I just set it to send midi clock, and in live I set the virtual midi poirt as a input and have Live ext sync to it. You need to manual rest the clock in Traktor to get it to manual sync - best if you configure a button on a controller to do this. I also use the NI X1 controller which has a quickly accessable general mode which you can programme to do whatever you ant - even use I as additional controlller for Live as well as control Traktor. I have mine setup for sync reset and manual beat griding (read up on that in traktor - basically a much simplified version of Live warping that can mostly be treated like a simple beat matching job).

Whith thre manual beat grid adjustment, then I can just play un-tried tracks and use the beat grid adjust instead of the normal tempo/nudge to beat exactly match - and that will get saved for next time the track is played as well as nsured the clock is in perfect sync with it. Clock will follow pitch change on the time code decks, so for eg you can use it to do a beatmatch pickup straight into Live rather than pickup from another DJ into traktor if you want.

All works really well. I'll be upgrading the scratch system to Traktor pro 2 and the Audio 10 DJ as the audio 10 dj fully sits between my mixer and all my decks, so i can seemless switch swittch each deck beween normal playboack use and timecode play back and freely mix beween all sources (2 CD, 2 vinyl and 2 or 4 digital decks and Tracktor 2's built in sampler decks).

I even have Live plumbed into the effect send/receive on the DJM so it can act as a syncronized effect processor for anything from basic stuff for tight beatmangling etc.

Anyway - down laod and have a play with the demo of Traktor, see how you get on with it, then perhaps get a demo of the timecode in a store. If you like tracktor scratch than definitely consider the X1 contrller as well - it does an excellent job of just filling in the right bit of misssing accessable functionality for using it wil a normal 2/4 deck hardware + mixer rig.

We are basically looking at two variations of live rigs - Traktor scratch 2 (Audio 10 DJ with X1) combined witth Ableton Live 8 + APC40, Traktor 2 + X1 + Maschine and its controller. For more DJ track centric sets, then possibly favouring the latter with Maschine - small simpler setup with a far more integrated controller.

The other thing I use to make this all work is the Spaces feature of OSX, so I have tracktor on one space, Live/machine an other and just quickly flip between them if needed. Be good for find a way to even streamline that as weell, but even as it is, works well.
Last edited by Khazul; 30th March 2011 at 10:05 AM. . <
Old 3rd April 2011 , 01:20 AM
Son of 'Z'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul View Post

I personally use Traktor scratch with the Audio 8 DJ interface (willsoon replace with the audio 10 dj) and it works very well - I even think it tracks better than serato, then in generally use you would be hard pressed to tell them apart.
If memory serves me right, there is some science to this. NI's DJ software packages (Traktor and S4) run with 2k sample rates on their time code. Serato run at 1k. Which is why Traktor feels smoother and more responsive.

That said. I am pretty sold on the idea of 'The Bridge'. I'm saving for Serato
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 4th April 2011 , 12:39 AM
Furry Filter Phreak

Funy enough Im evolving away from Live to a Maschine + Traktor 2 combo to play stuff
Old 5th April 2011 , 12:52 AM
Son of 'Z'

Quote:
Funy enough Im evolving away from Live to a Maschine + Traktor 2 combo to play stuff
I will end up with:

Live Suite8
Serato SL2 Interface & Scratch
Launchpad & Nocturn.

That will have to do. But it's enough for most sets. Control of launching clips, control of basic functions such as crossfader, eq, send effects, devices etc, hands on control of audio. Sure. I'd love something like the new DJM mixer and a couple of CDJ 2000's. But that's another 3.5k upwards I simply do no have I will make do with using Scratch on my Stanton 100 turntables...

I'd love to see a video of your Traktor & Maschine setup. get to work
Old 5th April 2011 , 08:48 AM
Furry Filter Phreak

Yes I was stunned that the prices of the CDJ-2K and DJM-2K when they came out.

I think I payed about 2.2K new for both my CDJ-1000Mk3 and the DJM-800together and remember thinking even that seem a scary amount at the time - now 4.5K for the 2000 versions bundle

I just cannot imagine anyone who isnt a very sucessful DJ or venue even thinking of buying them. (Hell I know a guy in a band who plays major clubs in ibiza nearly all sumer every summer - even he would think give it long and hard thought before parting with that much cash).

Think my V-Synth was 1400 - just seen the GT in DV for 2609. Virus TI up close to 2k now as well ugh!!.

And these companies wonder why people arnt buy as much hardware now?
Last edited by Khazul; 5th April 2011 at 08:51 AM. . <
Old 5th April 2011 , 09:37 AM
Administrator

Useful and informative thread chaps.. stickied
Old 7th April 2011 , 09:59 PM
Son of 'Z'

Quote:
Yes I was stunned that the prices of the CDJ-2K and DJM-2K when they came out.

I just cannot imagine anyone who isnt a very sucessful DJ or venue even thinking of buying them. (Hell I know a guy in a band who plays major clubs in ibiza nearly all sumer every summer - even he would think give it long and hard thought before parting with that much cash).
They are a ridiculous price. It's good to see Pioneer updating and creating clever deck & mixer systems to take on the software packages. But the costs are now onto another level. Even the PA & hire companies are keeping numbers low. They aren't asked for that often because of the cost. And I'd also say that the 1000 mk3 is so well known and bedded into the fabric of most nightclubs... Most DJ's wouldn't know how to use the new features and would be confused by the layout changes. It seems they only tend to be in demand during Festival season. With the big name DJ's. Who are either sponsored by Pioneer or have the cash to buy them.

Put it this way. For the cost of the CDJ 2000 & new mixer...You could buy a MBP, Traktor or Serato, Live, A Pioneer controller for them... and still have change.

I think. I'm gonna look it up now
Old 7th April 2011 , 10:44 PM
Furry Filter Phreak

Just bought the new MBP 17 and it was just over half the total cost the 2k bits and I have to say the with traktor 2 scratch on it - it's an awesome dg rig as well is being a good production workstation and even a good windows develpment box for my other source of income.
Old 13th January 2012 , 05:39 PM

Question Options

for a beginer what deck do you think i should start of with
J.I.G is offline Offline
Old 7th February 2012 , 12:34 AM
Son of 'Z'

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.I.G View Post
for a beginer what deck do you think i should start of with
For the money, there isn't anything I can think of that touches Native Instruments s2 package at the moment.

330 down from 480, until the end of March.

Seriously capable bit of DJ kit. Getting into Traktor might take some doing, as well as pushing the s2 hardware further with custom remaps. But I promise you...try it out. You should enjoy it !