DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > DJ World
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

DJ World Decks, Mixers, MP3 and General DJ Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th October 2010 , 11:15 AM
Furry Filter Phreak

Default Good software for managing vinyl ripping?

OK, I have a load of Singles, EPs, albums that would be good to convert to MP3, so looking for a nice streamlined way of doing it.

I guess I need two bit of software (ideally in one, but cant find anything that seems to do the job).

1. Obviously something that can either manage the recording and do sensible gap detection to auto-split the audio files (ideallyy in a non-destructive manner in case it gets it wrong).

2. Something to save loads and loads of typing in of track info etc. Ideally something that just lets me type in the publishers record number and it downloads all this data off the net (assuming this data is actually available) and writes it into mp3 ID tags for me, renames folders and files etc.

Cleanup tools might be nice, but TBH Im not that fussed about them.

Item 2 is the biggest concern as a I figure at worst it aint too big of a job to direct record the audio into a DAW and manually split it up, but tons of typing and manual organising of files is something I definately want to avoid.

Even if no software exists to do 2, its somethign I can write so long as I can find a suitable online database that is likely to cover vinyl dance EPs etc - mostly remixes etc.

Ultimate aim is to process this all through Mixed in key then import into tracktor scratch.

Any ideas?
Thanks all
Old 29th October 2010 , 11:31 AM
Mic Check 1!

someone was telling me recently about a piece of hardware/software, effectively a usb turnatable that does exactly this. CAnt remember what it was called though...
Old 29th October 2010 , 11:46 AM
Furry Filter Phreak

Thanks Trev

The hardware side Im sorted on - technics 1210 M5G decks, and quite decent ortofon electro cartidges which while they do softly embellish the sound (in a way suited to dance music) do result in a really nice full sound - and way way better than any USB deck that is likely to exist from the likes of numark, stanton etc

From there various preamp/DAC options, NI Audio-8 DJ interface, or via my Pioneer mixer (for RIAA eq, though prefer not to record via the DJ mixer - DJM-800 are great live DJ mixers, but not exactly the most transparent digital processing in existance), or perhaps direct to DAW/other software with a plugin RIAA eq, so that side is pretty well sorted unles I can find something really good to simplify the recording process.

The headache I want to solve is the tagging and file management side of it as there are upto several thousand tracks to eventually capture even of only a few hundred are on my 'essentials' list

I'm guessing alot of vinyl DJs have gone through this at some time wanting to keep old classics for future abuse etc
Old 29th October 2010 , 11:51 AM
Sound Guru

How about this?

http://www.bias-inc.com/products/soundSaver/
Old 29th October 2010 , 12:46 PM
Round The Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul View Post
2. Something to save loads and loads of typing in of track info etc. Ideally something that just lets me type in the publishers record number and it downloads all this data off the net (assuming this data is actually available) and writes it into mp3 ID tags for me, renames folders and files etc.
The problem there is that there are several pieces of software that will access the Gracenote database to try identify your album. The Gracenote database is very powerful if you are trying to automatically name tracks saved from a CD but it becomes a lot more tricky if you are saving tracks from vinyl.
This is because the Gracenote database identifies albums by the number of tracks, total playing time and individual playing time of each track. Assuming you save tracks from a vinly LP on to your computer - you will have to save the tracks within a small tolerance of leading-in and leading-out silences for the Gracenote database to correctly identify them.
I do not know of any software that can get over this problem for you. I think you just have to be careful and a bit lucky when you record the tracks - if your individual mp3 tracks are close enough to the track lengths in the database you might find a match, other times you will not.
saxman is offline Offline
Old 29th October 2010 , 01:03 PM
Furry Filter Phreak

Thanks Sax - you understand the problem

Yes- I know about CDDB1/2 and FreeDB and their CD orientated history. The only thought I had where they might help is perhaps with release ID numbers if I can find CD numbers for CD versions of vinyl releases, though I guess alot of these EPs probbaly never got released as a CD EP as well.

Though even entering label, title to get the CD match would help if the CDDB/FreeDB databases will do that (I dotn think CDDB does, as you say its mainly TOC hash based, but I think FreeDB can be search by other means). I was hoping someone might know of a database that went with the release ID numbers (record version of ISBN and/or barcode etc), though I guess while a number will tell you the publisher (ie whole owns the ID number block), it might not tell you the release as if barcode are anything to go by, they are block assigned and the individual numbers are often privately managed.

Kind of a shame what happened to CDDB and gracenote - hate it when companies absorb public data and technology and just steal it without giving back - shame on them - the irony is they are using the technology to now to prevent copyright theft - their whole damn platforms is allmost an act of theft.

I know amazon's web service provides a pretty decent search, but only for stuff in their catalogue and I would quess most of this lot has never been in it - its a shame HTFR in birmingham dont maintain such a database online as I absolutely sure they have all this info in their old stock archives - its the kind of thing that would definatley have been in the catalog at some time, excepting some dub plates and other very limited pressings I have.
Old 29th October 2010 , 01:04 PM
Sound Guru

... and Gracenote is not the only database out there. The Windows Media Player uses Allmusic, for example.
Old 29th October 2010 , 01:15 PM
Round The Horn

I just had a thought.
I use a nice bit of shareware Catvids to manage my movie collection. They have a music version called Catraxx. I think it works the same way as Catvids - ie, you enter the album name and it will search various online sources such as amazon etc for album cover photos and track listings.

Got to go now so no more time to check it out, but here is the link;
http://www.fnprg.com/catraxx/index.html
Old 29th October 2010 , 01:24 PM
Furry Filter Phreak

Just having a look at that one.

Turns out google searches of the discogs web site is prooving to be the best so far for this info - finds alot of obscure EPs on it so far - even with cover art!
Old 29th October 2010 , 03:26 PM
Furry Filter Phreak

@Sax - thanks - looks interesting will give the demo a try
Old 30th October 2010 , 12:41 AM
Round The Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul View Post
@Sax - thanks - looks interesting will give the demo a try
I use and like the Catvids version but having looked again at the Catraxx features I see it says "Automatically download CD data from the CDDB database no typing" so maybe it does not search various websites for track info as the movie version does for all sorts of info - cast list, producers, director, synopsis, etc, etc
Old 30th October 2010 , 12:45 AM
Round The Horn

ooooh, correction! I just looked again and I see it does have a feature to look up vinyl by artist and title.

http://www.fnprg.com/catraxx/img_scr...vinylquery.jpg
Old 1st November 2010 , 11:04 AM
Administrator

Sincerely, good luck with search K, but as the tracks are recorded in real time 7/8 mins for a 12".. 20+ mins for an album side) into the recording software, and I guess you will be around when it's done, wouldn't it be simpler to just type/list the info whilst its going down then copy paste the info once in your iTunes?

I've tried compiling a bespoke playlist, burned to a CD, and attempted to access the CDDB database. As mentioned, it definitely has trouble identifying non-commercial (ie your bespoke) listings. Even doing it on an individual track basis where it may try and recognise precise track length, still no joy as your new audio file may contain additional length as you handle any fade outs.

Maybe, one day, something may be available that analyses music on an audio signal basis (doesn't 'Shazam' use that method?), listening to frequencies and dynamic content

Best of luck anyway, and a good question that needed/needs answering anyway - stickied
Old 1st November 2010 , 11:57 AM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by modz1 View Post
Maybe, one day, something may be available that analyses music on an audio signal basis (doesn't 'Shazam' use that method?), listening to frequencies and dynamic content
This tech does exist - surprising it hasn't come to the computer yet (seems solely the preserve of mobile phones at the moment).
Old 3rd November 2010 , 12:29 AM
Furry Filter Phreak

Yes its exists, just isnt very well connected.

I managed to kludge together some bits of code (in .NET) to do the job of the internet searches and cross referencing to ensure accuracy and something to write the results back into ID3 tags, leaving me to just split the audio files up and feed them to lame for encoding.

The reason I didnt want to type stuff in as typically I get very very bored and start making lots of mistakes