DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 20th October 2008 , 10:42 PM
Administrator
 
modz1's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,848
Default

Ok.. I'm attempting to 'get into' this guys work.. Can those in the know perhaps list a Top 5 Deadmau5 tracks to check out?
______________________________
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.."
modz1 is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 20th October 2008 , 10:46 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

in no order of rank
hi friend (on this thread)
Dr funkenstien

alone with you
move for me (kaskade &D5)
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Last edited by sureno; 20th October 2008 at 10:54 PM. . <
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 20th October 2008 , 10:54 PM
Administrator
 
modz1's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,848
Default

Thanks Sureno.. Will check them out

I purchased this track the other day.. Like what he's done with the 'Clockwork Orange' featured piece..(a re-working of the Cygnus X classic 'Orange Theme')

______________________________
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.."
modz1 is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 20th October 2008 , 11:05 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

very simple and effective, he has a good ear in my opinion, nice for the heads up
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 21st October 2008 , 07:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Benoit's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Posts: 122
Default

From what I remember (bearing in mind I was well oiled) he was using Ableton live with a Lemur touchscreen controller. It was a Deadmau5 'Live' event so he played mostly his own tunes, but he was remixing them live on the fly. The track on the footage is 'the reward is cheese' & he's just brought an album out called 'Random Album Title'.
When we walked into the club they were selling t shirts, key rings etc etc. Then theres the lighty up helmet, and kitted out in the latest Puma gear (obviously sponsored). The guy knows how to market himself & create the hype! That aside though, his productions are awesome & he knows how to bang it out in a club. Re the glowsticks...I hung them up a while ago about 99/2000...Im kicking on a bit now, so I need to take stock about the whole disco dancing thing....on second thoughts? (new thread...when are you to old to rave?)

Top 5 tracks

The reward is cheese
Hi friend
Complications
Faxing Berlin
Not exactly
Benoit is offline Offline
Last edited by Benoit; 21st October 2008 at 07:12 AM. . <
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 21st October 2008 , 11:20 AM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

yes i heard he is rather fond of the jazz mutant
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 21st October 2008 , 12:03 PM
Furry Filter Phreak
 
Khazul's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 1,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
(new thread...when are you to old to rave?)
When you drop dead at a rave
Khazul is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 21st October 2008 , 12:06 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
when are you to old to rave?
When you start thinking to yourself while dancing with this incredibly hot chick "she's young enough to be my daughter"
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 11th November 2008 , 12:54 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by modz1 View Post
Thanks Sureno.. Will check them out

I purchased this track the other day.. Like what he's done with the 'Clockwork Orange' featured piece..(a re-working of the Cygnus X classic 'Orange Theme')

iv really got in to this track now, the original deadmau5 version
if what i was told is correct this track was inspired by a night he used to do when living in london at a club called the gass club. was a great place back in the day, really small and dingey but great

This too, Ghosts N Stuff

got to say Deadmau5 kicks butt
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Last edited by sureno; 11th November 2008 at 01:00 PM. . <
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 12th November 2008 , 01:35 PM
DV Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Universe
Posts: 47
Default

Don't know what all the fuss is about tbh. Horrible Electro House nonsense. He only ever plays live (using Ableton Live), he doesn't DJ and he looks like an **** in that head mask. Can't see the appeal.
Plus he slagged off DJ's big time in an interview, wonder how all kids who buy his stuff and put him at the top of the Beatport chart are gonna feel about that. He'll be forgotten in couple of years.
______________________________
www.myspace.com/darylstay
DV Daz is offline Offline
Last edited by DV Daz; 12th November 2008 at 01:44 PM. . <
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 12th November 2008 , 01:42 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV Daz View Post
Don't know what all the fuss is about tbh. Horrible Electro House nonsense. He only ever plays live (using Ableton Live), he doesn't DJ and he looks like an **** in that head mask. Can't see the appeal.
Plus he slacked off DJ's big time in an interview, wonder how all kids who buy his stuff and put him at the top of the Beatport chart are gonna feel about that. He'll be forgotten in couple of years.
i think he will be up in 2years max, but im sure he used to Dj back in the day in london when he was studying here. one night im pretty sure off was clock work orange at gass but i could be totally wrong, yes his Dj sets are nothing spectacular but his tracks have a certain sound to them and in this saturated market i suppose something new will be welcomed regardless of quality but i like his stuff, its improving over time for me
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 1st December 2008 , 05:11 PM
Administrator
 
modz1's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,848
Default Deadmau5 - Dead End!

Quote:
Originally Posted by modz1 View Post
Ok.. I'm attempting to 'get into' this guys work.. Can those in the know perhaps list a Top 5 Deadmau5 tracks to check out?
Ok, slate me now, but I've come to a conclusion on this guy, Deadmau5.. Yes, he can very effectively market himself, yes, he can rock certain dancefloors with the stuff he makes and sequences together on a laptop.. But, honestly, (1 remix aside) he hasn't written or produced anything I as a DJ can personally play or relate to..

His tracks lack just about any form of melodic, musical content.. the only 'hooks' are a parade of techno blips and bleeps.. the productions though dynamically sound, are clinically 'cold' and lacking in any kind of feeling or soul..

I've really taken time to 'try' and understand the appeal of Deadmau5's output - but, honestly, I just don't get it
______________________________
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.."
modz1 is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 1st December 2008 , 05:22 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by modz1 View Post
Ok, slate me now, but I've come to a conclusion on this guy, Deadmau5.. Yes, he can very effectively market himself, yes, he can rock certain dancefloors with the stuff he makes and sequences together on a laptop.. But, honestly, (1 remix aside) he hasn't written or produced anything I as a DJ can personally play or relate to..

His tracks lack just about any form of melodic, musical content.. the only 'hooks' are a parade of techno blips and bleeps.. the productions though dynamically sound, are clinically 'cold' and lacking in any kind of feeling or soul..

I've really taken time to 'try' and understand the appeal of Deadmau5's output - but, honestly, I just don't get it
Leave this house now!!! points to the door--->
iv listened to your mix cd many a time now, i can see why you wouldn't enjoy it if i where to compare it to the tracks you chose, his stuff is not meant to be soulful imo but rather a good choice of sounds and its meant to be cold because everything about the way he portrays himself seems very clinical and that way inclined. i didnt much like his earlier stuff but his more recent stuff is great to listen to for me.

at any time did it get you to knod your head or where you (e)motionless when listening?
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 1st December 2008 , 05:46 PM
Administrator
 
modz1's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
Leave this house now!!! points to the door--->
iv listened to your mix cd many a time now, i can see why you wouldn't enjoy it if i where to compare it to the tracks you chose, his stuff is not meant to be soulful imo but rather a good choice of sounds and its meant to be cold because everything about the way he portrays himself seems very clinical and that way inclined. i didnt much like his earlier stuff but his more recent stuff is great to listen to for me.

at any time did it get you to knod your head or where you (e)motionless when listening?
You missed my point there man.. There's a difference between a track having some sort of 'soul' as opposed to being 'soulful'..

And yes, I did have a little head nod on the 'Clockwork' track, which I purchased..(that track utilises the complex melodies of Cygnus X's version of the 'Orange Theme'..)
______________________________
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.."
modz1 is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 1st December 2008 , 05:52 PM
Furry Filter Phreak
 
Khazul's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 1,130
Default

I get the feeling he doesnt play well with others - too much of an oddball, so am not entirely suprised in modz view of him.

I like his stuff in small doeses - its got good energy etc, but yeh - it is cold - as is most electro without the injection of some human aspect (vocal, played instruments, nice organic samples etc etc).
Khazul is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.0
1999-2017 DV247 Ltd. All rights reserved.