DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 23rd March 2010 , 04:30 PM

Default Which USB Controller/Software

I used by a vinyl junkie, had thousands of classic house/old school etc 12" but sold them along with my decks about 6 years ago to help fund my house move...(awaits big "aaahhh")....

Now I want to get back into DJ'ing, but really like the idea of the USB controllers as I wont need heaps of space. I've been looking at the Hercules Steel, Numark Total Control, and the Numark Stealth. Virtual DJ seems to be a great package, and don't think i would need more than the LE version, as long as i can record my mixes. Also I wouldnt mind being able to broadcast on internet radio at some point too. This bit of kit wont be leaving my office at home but I just want a stable, reliable controller and software to create some good mixes. Effects wise, the beatgrid is a nice thing to have but not sure which of the software/controller packages have plenty of effects. So from what I have seen, 3 different controllers, with either Traktor LE, CUE LE, or Virtual DJ LE.... what are your experiences?? Which is best?
mrash is offline Offline
Old 23rd March 2010 , 11:47 PM

I have a DJ control steel and love it. I am a total newb so I can't really use it yet, I'm still getting my DAW setup together. Remember it does not come with a built in sound card so you need a 4 channel sound card in your computer to cue with headphones. I use other music software so I chose an outboard sound card, I use the Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ which I think is excellent. It also comes with Traktor LE. The Hercules Steel comes with VDJ OEM edition as well. The Hercules RMX is the same as the steel but it has built in sound anc microphone inputs and everything. Very popular for some performing DJ's. These are some of the best of the low end. Check out DJ Dow Jones on youtube, can't beleive what he does with his RMX.
shahram72 is offline Offline
Old 19th April 2010 , 09:52 AM

I ended up buying the Hercules Steel. Why? Well, I looked at the Reloop, and the Numarks, and the Steel just felt so much better than the others. Build is so solid, jogwheels feel good, and VDJ is ok too. The fact it is totally remappable is great as well. Hercules have a huge support base as well, which is is a huge plus point, and it is supported by Win7 too.
mrash is offline Offline
Old 22nd September 2010 , 09:03 PM

Out of those three, I think you made the right choice. It will last you for a long time that's for sure.
Old 23rd September 2010 , 11:11 AM
Administrator

Note to all.. we keep abreast of the latest DJ hardware and software (with breaking news and world exclusives a speciality), over at the DV Blog. Be sure to bookmark the page and check daily http://blog.dv247.com/
Old 29th October 2010 , 03:35 PM
Furry Filter Phreak

OK late (month and a half - whatever ) to the party I'm rather likeing my hydrid setup right now:

NI Tracktor Scratchn Pro, Audio 8 DJ to integrate with my existing CD and record decks and DJM800 mixer and an NI X1 controller to give more direct control of trackor functions that aint provided for by their timecoded CD/record based digital vinyl system.

There is an excellent 50% off deal right now for tracktor scratch and various NI audio interface bundles - pretty much any of their Audio N DJ range seems very reliable and great for noise and generally hassle free connection to house PA systems, house mixers etc - Im sure the offer can be found on the DV247 shop site.

Only downer if your not looking for a tracktor scratch rig is the offer only seems to apply to the scratch bundles (cynically i guess this is to try and stem the rising popularity of serato now that Live integration is starting to take off). + side of the scratch rig - continue to use existing CD/record decks and its easy to slot in the small X1 controller amongst that lot.

If just looking for a controller - I have a Vestax VCI-100 which IMHO is probably one of the best constructed controllers there is, but not using it much anymore (due to X1 and timecoded Cd/Vinyl instead) so may sell it.
Old 6th February 2011 , 12:17 PM

hi guys im looking for a DJ CONTROLLER and want ur opinion.

i was looking at the RELOOP DJ CONTROLLER DIGITAL JOCKEY 2 INTERFACE TRAKTOR i like the look of this but i seen review's saying that the buttons dont last

or Hercules DJ Console RMX Controller + 4-in/4-out Audio Interface With Virtual DJ

i want a controller that will last me some time but only looking to pay 300

thanks for ur help
supert is offline Offline
Old 7th February 2011 , 08:35 PM
Son of 'Z'

Have you thought about the EXS Otus?

Dv list these for 500+, but elsewhere they are going for 330. I'll give you a clue. It's "Hard To Find' in Birmingham, but easy to lookup on google

You only get one control deck, but it gives control over most things you'd want. Have at look at their site for the video

Looking at the EKS site. It seems they have already revised the design to Otus plus. I would check with the supplier which model you are getting at which price. The original Otus would now appear to be a very good proposition for the price.

I'm looking at getting their cheaper unit (The XP5) to indulge with dj-ing with Traktor for a bit. Whilst I save my pennies to get Serato to go with Ableton Live.
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 7th February 2011 , 08:46 PM
Uber Member

Ed if you can I would definitely try the XPs before you buy. I had XP10s and had nothing but trouble with them. When I eventually got them doing what they were meant to they felt horrible. Like hideously horrible. And considering they weren't cheap they certainly felt it, the sliders are possibly the worst feeling fader ever, and the buttons match.
Old 7th February 2011 , 10:35 PM
Son of 'Z'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilty View Post
Ed if you can I would definitely try the XPs before you buy. I had XP10s and had nothing but trouble with them. When I eventually got them doing what they were meant to they felt horrible. Like hideously horrible. And considering they weren't cheap they certainly felt it, the sliders are possibly the worst feeling fader ever, and the buttons match.
I was thinking of getting out of it when I saw the price drop on the Otus.

It's on ebay...and I reckon I'm being shill bidded to get the price up. It comes with an upgraded version of traktor....but I still might say no.
Old 7th February 2011 , 10:54 PM
Uber Member

I was so disappointed I think for the whole day my facebook was full of profanity and threats of trips to deficate on certain reception desks. I was only running them on Duo, I gave them to my mate and he had an even bigger nightmare setting them up with Scratch Pro and he wasn't even using them as an interface like I was. I would hold out for the OTUS man, never used it but never heard of any of them having similar issues.
Old 9th February 2011 , 01:54 AM
Son of 'Z'

I got outbid. They got greedy.

I want to go for Serato and Live. But the setups are confusing. What exactly do I need. It seems you can't get Serato without some form of their hardware being attached. I'd just want the basic timecode and demodulator. I'm already happy with my interfaces.
Old 9th February 2011 , 03:10 AM
Furry Filter Phreak

You pretty much nailed why I never bothered with serato and why I wouldnt be likely to anytime soon

Just think traktor seems to be a way more flexible application.
Old 4th May 2011 , 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
hi guys im looking for a DJ CONTROLLER and want ur opinion.

i was looking at the RELOOP DJ CONTROLLER DIGITAL JOCKEY 2 INTERFACE TRAKTOR i like the look of this but i seen review's saying that the buttons dont last

or Hercules DJ Console RMX Controller + 4-in/4-out Audio Interface With Virtual DJ

i want a controller that will last me some time but only looking to pay 300

thanks for ur help
Hello Suppert,
I know which controller i will buy soon ;-). I tried all the new controllers at the musikmesse in frankfurt I don t like the reloop controllers that much, they are not really solid, feels a little bit like toys. The hercules rmx controller is not bad, but i missing a lot of buttons on the controller. the quality is ok. I will get the new Zomo MC-1000. The controller comes in pioneer quality, and brings all options, which will come with the new traktor software - Nice! you can really controll everything from traktor. I think they will relase it in june and cost about 270 pounds.
i don t know if you checked the pioneer controller already, they are nice too, you can also control everything from traktor, the decks are cool too, but too expensive for me
American audio controller are crap
JohnWayne is offline Offline