DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > DJ World
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

DJ World Decks, Mixers, MP3 and General DJ Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st November 2008 , 04:51 PM
Rave Digga

Default does anyone dj/mix with the novation nocturn?

i was wondering if anyone djs/mixes with the novation nocturn..i see it has a crossfader but ive not seen or read any reviews of people using it with dj software like traktor pro ..is it possible and does the automap automaticall map out the dj software buttons like it does with vsts..

also can anyone recommend a usb dj controller under 100 pounds i know theres lots of top ones around the 2--300 mark but my mate only wants something too use before he decides to splash out on something he may not get enough use out of thats why i was wondering if the nocturn can control virtual decks with the knobs and faders but cant find out if it can or not..thanks
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 21st November 2008 , 04:52 PM
Rave Digga

well iver just found out it does... http://www.novationmusic.com/answerb...cle.php?id=460

has anyone tried this too see it does really work well .
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 21st November 2008 , 07:59 PM
Forum Idol

Ed Ryan uses it with Traktor and i use it with Ableton. It's ok, nothing great but does the job
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 21st November 2008 , 08:09 PM
Rave Digga

how does it feel when used with dj software ..is it responsive ?ive read conflicting reviews on other dj sites some say its fine some says its too slow to be off any use..also if my mate buys it have you got any info were he can get the midi maps from so he doesnt have to mess around ...
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 21st November 2008 , 08:20 PM
Forum Idol

Ed and i are pretty much House Dj's so its pretty much a case of smooth gradient fades, so i cant comment on any fast chopping but occasionally when i begin a fade then take my hand off the X-fader then come back to it, occasionally only very occassionally it wont pick up again so you have to slightly move it back a tad then continue fading when it re picks it. Speed dial works or doesn't depending what system you have. as far as midi maps i posted one for ableton and the nocturn up here i think in "Ableton live" forum.
Nocturn Template Test run

what style of music does your mate Dj, i do find however the X-fader is very smooth and has a lovely resistance, i even prefer it over my vestax vci-100 but thats about as far as it goes in comparison.

also a point to check out is Ed Ryans user review of the nocturn
User Reviews: Computer Hardware

some useful links

Using a Nocturn with Traktor

Novation Nocturn, Help needed

Nocturn problem
Old 21st November 2008 , 09:09 PM
Rave Digga

thanks for the links mate ..he plays all kinds of dance music but hes getting more into hard trance.i think the problem you reported about buttons not responding as well as they should is exactlly the same problem i have with remote zero sl.in automap version 1 i had no probs then version 2 completely messed it up they need to release a version 3 but to be honest novation havent updated there software in months and months and ive not heard of any updates coming up in the future and loads of remote zero sl users are complaining about the same issues i have..

ive just read that i can use remote zero sl with traktor i think ill try and dust it off and give it a try..

have you tried the m-audio xsession ?whats that like is it better than the nocturn for controling dj software?
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 21st November 2008 , 09:17 PM
Forum Idol

wow now that looks sweet, i think i might be loosing the nocturn and trying that out, i heard a lot of hype about the automap system and was initially going to get a remote as well. will not buy novation again unless they have a vast improvement. but the m-audio x-session looks great for portability
if i had to buy again, although the nocturn looks nice with all the led's etc i would have to gamble on the m-audio this time
Old 21st November 2008 , 10:12 PM
Forum Idol

a long article on nocturn and traktor over at N.I
http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ad.php?t=66608
Old 21st November 2008 , 10:44 PM
Furry Filter Phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
what style of music does your mate Dj, i do find however the X-fader is very smooth and has a lovely resistance, i even prefer it over my vestax vci-100 but thats about as far as it goes in comparison.
If you want resistance - use the channel faders - if you want to chop - use the crossfader - a good cf has very low resistance IMHO.

If the nocturn has a high resistance cf - then Ugh!

If I was looking at the nocturn as a DJ tool - then my #1 concern would be how precise its cue/play button(s) are - ie can you consistenly drop tight on beat with them, like for eg - the buttons on a VCI-100 or CDJ-1000 etc, and not for eg those godawful nasty cheap spoungey buttons on the numark iDJ2 and other numark land fill fodder.
Khazul is offline Offline
Last edited by Khazul; 21st November 2008 at 10:49 PM. . <
Old 21st November 2008 , 10:46 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul View Post
If you want resistance - use the channel faders - if you want to chop - use the crossfader - a good cf has very low resistance IMHO.

If the nocturn has a high resistance cf - then Ugh!
i suppose it a case of preferance though. but yes for chopping i would say loose resistance is better, i still like it with a bit of resistance
Old 21st November 2008 , 10:53 PM
Son of 'Z'

Here's a copy of the review I did in another part of this forum

Novation Nocturn
29th Sept 2008

I purchased it because V & Bass station are out of stock, and this was next on the wanted toys list !

Macbook 2.2. @gig Ram. Logic Studio 8 and Traktor

Good Points
1) It's incredibly flexible
2) The Automapping software is a neat idea that allows you to store and recall customised control setups
3) It's small enough to be taken just about anywhere
4) It's well laid out and intuitive to use
5) It's price !

Low Points
1) It takes awhile to get into. A paper manual would help
2) The encoder resolution can be a bit fiddly
3) It doesn't always automap correctly
4) It has issues with Mac OSX and NI Traktor. Takes time to figure out the workaround.

How could it be better?
1) Screens to display encoder function names
2) More encoders

Rival Comparison
The closest rival is from M-Audio
M-Audio X-Session Pro USB MIDI DJ Mixer Controller at DV247.COM
WHilst the M-Audio has more physical encoders to play with, the Automap software makes the Nocturn much more flexible. Flip a page, and you can use the same controllers to control completely different functions of software. The Automap supports upto 127 different encoders on different pages. This makes it much easier and quicker to re-assign controls then the M-Audio Unit.

Am I Happy?
I would buy this again, but would go for one of the bigger Novation Controllers. This is the baby of the range, but still represents a good piece of kit !
It works on both Mac and PC. Just be aware of the Mac/Traktor issues.

Summary
An excellent idea. Really flexible and adaptable. Mac uers have their party spoiled by Apple though. The Automap doesn't work with Logic's default plugs, but will work with their hidden AU devices. It also has issues with NI Traktor, that require a bit of tinkering to sort. But if you take the time to program it, the rewards are very worthwhile ![/COLOR][/B]

9/10

However. I soon ran into a problem, but gave details of a fix. Will post that below.
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 21st November 2008 , 10:57 PM
Son of 'Z'

and my escapdes with a nocturn and traktor

Using a Nocturn with Traktor
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 22nd November 2008 , 04:47 AM
Rave Digga

thanks ed ..the points kazhul makes were my concerns too ..i was worried the crossfader was just for show and wasnt good enough too actually use..it does look like a stuck on afterthought.

ive downloaded surenos automaps and ill see if they work with the remote zero tonight.
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 22nd November 2008 , 10:28 AM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxxy View Post
thanks ed ..the points kazhul makes were my concerns too ..i was worried the crossfader was just for show and wasnt good enough too actually use..it does look like a stuck on afterthought.

ive downloaded surenos automaps and ill see if they work with the remote zero tonight.
i mapped that specifically for the nocturn and live so that the X-fader controlls the X-fader in live and the dials control template specific tasks, let me know how you get on mate
Old 22nd November 2008 , 01:29 PM
Rave Digga

thanks for the heads up mate ill try it out but i bet ill have too remap my controller ..if i get it working ok ill post the controller maps up on here best give me a week to do it weve all got colds again at home
waxxy is offline Offline