DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > DJ World
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

DJ World Decks, Mixers, MP3 and General DJ Chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 17th October 2008 , 03:01 PM
Furry Filter Phreak
 
Khazul's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 1,130
Default Ableton and Serato upto something

Serato Audio Research - News - Serato and Ableton announce a creative partnership

If this mean being able to use Live and Scratch together on the same machine, in harmony, then I could be very interested in this instead of the default Traktor Pro (scratch) upgrade/crossgrade...


Stephen (Arbiter) - if you read this and can feed back to the NI dev guys - my #1 feature desire for Traktor at the moment is solid single machine integration with Ableton Live so that I can use decks or my VCI-100 to control traktor and eventually a VCM-600 for controlling live - and be able to control both together, in sync. I probably want Ableton to be the clock master (because the VCM-600 appears to have dedicated and useful controls for tempo).

Typical scenario is combined sets - other music in traktor, and running clips etc from Live at the same time, or even mixing right over to Live to working there for a bit - for eg doing some of my own stuff in Live.

At the moment I have been looking at various options to do this that currently involve two laptops and a midi link between them - the obvious advantage of this is you get two screens, no controller clashes etc and obviously you need two audio interfaces and an external mixer - alot of gear to lug around and set up in typically limited space.

As otherwise I rather like Traktor - then it is my preferred bit of software to see usuable alongside Live
Khazul is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 17th October 2008 , 03:18 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

wow that is a serious step i would switch over to serato in a heartbeat if it offered ableton vinyl control, the only sad thing is that it will want ableton to stay faithful to serato which means i doubt traktor will get a look in
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 17th October 2008 , 05:57 PM
Forum Scribe
 
Monarch's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,446
Default

Interesting move by Ableton. After adding so many DAW features they now focus on the DJ market. Curious.
Monarch is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 17th October 2008 , 06:02 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
Interesting move by Ableton. After adding so many DAW features they now focus on the DJ market. Curious.
i think they have always aimed at the DJ just not to this depth imo
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 17th October 2008 , 06:06 PM
Forum Scribe
 
Monarch's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
i think they have always aimed at the DJ just not to this depth imo
Yes they have, but since v.4 with Midi added they have steadily added more DAW like features.

Midi editing and recording
Midi FX
Pow-r dithering
64 bit summing
Better metering
Spectrum Analyzer
Instruments
e.t.c

But maybe they now realise that market is too tough to crack and want to re focus on the dj market?!?!?
Monarch is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 17th October 2008 , 06:13 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
Yes they have, but since v.4 with Midi added they have steadily added more DAW like features.

Midi editing and recording
Midi FX
Pow-r dithering
64 bit summing
Better metering
Spectrum Analyzer
Instruments
e.t.c

But maybe they now realise that market is too tough to crack and want to re focus on the dj market?!?!?
not sure, they got a pretty good DAW standard, like you said may be they simply want to excel their Dj functionality too either way very good move shame its serato though, i think this must mean either serato are dropping their bespoke audio driver to work with ableton or ableton are going to create a specific program for their audio driver?
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 17th October 2008 , 06:23 PM
Forum Scribe
 
Monarch's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
not sure, they got a pretty good DAW standard, like you said may be they simply want to excel their Dj functionality too either way very good move shame its serato though, i think this must mean either serato are dropping their bespoke audio driver to work with ableton or ableton are going to create a specific program for their audio driver?
Your second guess might be right. Or something similar. This whole hardware software integration is really taking off. Yamaha's Steinberg offerings and Cakewalk Vstudio e.t.c so maybe Ableton feel the need to invest time and money in tight integration or similar with a top hardware brand name.

This might be just the start for Ableton. They kind of need it to compete IMO.
Monarch is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 17th October 2008 , 06:39 PM
Furry Filter Phreak
 
Khazul's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 1,130
Default

When vestax get around to finally releasing their VCM-600 - that might do rather alot for ableton. Most (all?) other typical controllers for live are either too generic and/or barely better than land fill fodder - ie really nasty construction.

I think the serato thing is going to be about deep integration of the two software packages rather than hardware.

I guess also serato maybe more broadly used than NI traktor too at club level and if course serato have some heritage to leverage that NI perhaps dont quite have (no matter who is actually 'better').
Khazul is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 17th October 2008 , 06:45 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul View Post
When vestax get around to finally releasing their VCM-600 - that might do rather alot for ableton. Most (all?) other typical controllers for live are either too generic and/or barely better than land fill fodder - ie really nasty construction.

I think the serato thing is going to be about deep integration of the two software packages rather than hardware.

I guess also serato maybe more broadly used than NI traktor too at club level and if course serato have some heritage to leverage that NI perhaps dont quite have (no matter who is actually 'better').
Yeah i was in a quandry when choosing but i found serato used as the more reliable utility, suppose it can't hurt to get both
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 18th October 2008 , 07:22 AM
Furry Filter Phreak
 
Khazul's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 1,130
Default

Some more natterings on it...

Create Digital Music Ableton Joins Serato in Partnership; Digital Vinyl for Live?

My guess is they are probably just going to do what I have been looking for in a future traktor...
Khazul is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 18th October 2008 , 12:29 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul View Post
Some more natterings on it...

Create Digital Music Ableton Joins Serato in Partnership; Digital Vinyl for Live?

My guess is they are probably just going to do what I have been looking for in a future traktor...
looks like il be going serato, its all kicking off over at N.I too about traktor pro, i think i started something over there
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 18th October 2008 , 01:00 PM
Furry Filter Phreak
 
Khazul's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 1,130
Default

Does serato still not have midi sync+control?

If so, then thats it main advantage as currently (AFAIK) any kind of control over serato is going to be very expensive unless you allready have good decks for playing the timecode off.

OTOH, if they solve that in their link up with ableton - then it becomes alot less clear cut for someone starting out without allready having a ful non-computer rig and *then* Traktor has some serious competition to worry about.

Currently I guess they only really compete in the market for DJs transitioning with existing gear to a computer.

All of that said - there is such a world of difference between even the best available midi controller (IMHO the Vestax VCI-100) and using high end CDJs and other equivalents + a decent mixer, so I wonder how many people have bough CDJ just as controllers? - It seems just a bit extreme however
Khazul is offline Offline
Last edited by Khazul; 18th October 2008 at 01:03 PM. . <
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 18th October 2008 , 01:06 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul View Post
Does serato still not have midi sync+control?

If so, then thats it main advantage as currently (AFAIK) any kind of control over serato is going to be very expensive unless you allready have good decks for playing the timecode off.

OTOH, if they solve that in their link up with ableton - then it becomes alot less clear cut for someone starting out without allready having a ful non-computer rig and *then* Traktor has some serious competition to worry about.

Currently I guess they only really compete in the market for DJs transitioning with existing gear to a computer.

All of that said - there is such a world of difference between even the best available midi controller (IMHO the Vestax VCI-100) and using high end CDJs and other equivalents + a decent mixer, so I wonder how many people have bough CDJ just as controllers? - It seems just a bit extreme however
in my experience the VCI-1000 is the nuts but comparing it to my cdj1000's its dog poop imo
i THINK the midi was addressed in the last update
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 18th October 2008 , 01:14 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 297
Default

VERY INTERESTING!!

I'll be keeping a keen eye on this
conor_j is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 18th October 2008 , 02:35 PM
Furry Filter Phreak
 
Khazul's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 1,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
in my experience the VCI-1000 is the nuts but comparing it to my cdj1000's its dog poop imo
Thats what I meant by world of difference
Khazul is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ableton Live for DJing cjw296 Ableton Live 8 6th December 2008 05:52 PM
Ableton Live 7 recording help? Benoit Ableton Live 5 29th September 2008 01:14 PM
Traktor Vs. Serato plus DRM Music? modz1 DJ World 10 26th September 2008 11:18 AM
Serato Vs Traktor sureno DJ World 0 26th August 2008 11:37 PM
Is my laptop upto the job? Pete Carter Computer Hardware 6 3rd July 2008 12:13 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.0
1999-2017 DV247 Ltd. All rights reserved.