DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > DJ World
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

DJ World Decks, Mixers, MP3 and General DJ Chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 25th September 2008 , 10:04 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default Music Organization!!! How do You do it?

Ok i Dj House music, pretty much most sub genres of it. I use CDJ's so there for use CD's! My question is how do you guys arrange your CD's?
I have mine arranged like this:

PEEK
sub genres
MID
sub genres
EARLY
sub genres
CHILLED
no sub genre here simply chillout/ambient stuff

What are the sub genres for me i hear you ask? well they are "MY" own descriptions for the type of music i place in this catogary so apologies if they are not technically right or even rational

sub genres:
Afro/latin
Chicago
Commercial
Deep
Deep Bumpin'
Deep Funky
Deep Soul
Electronica
F Knows???
Funky Tech/Electro
Funky/Soulful
Jackin'
Jacking Swing
Minimal Glitch
Tech
Tribal
U.S Garage


well there you go, if any one wants to comment on it or even offer a simpler method or way to stream line please feel free also i would love to here how all you Dj's organize your music? The sheer volume of music i have accumulated (around 1TB) reflects to the main reason of moving to Traktor scratch, i have a quarter of my collection on CD's but now feel im not fully utilizing what i have so am going to use Traktor to have easy access to all my tracks with out (the bane of my life) having to burn CD's print and cut labels for each one. My labels would usually be:
Track#-Title-Artist-mix (i do not put track length as i never use radio edits and don't really do record labels)
e.g.

1.Sureno's saucy Polka song-Sureno-lazy mix

So to sum it all up CD's are a pain in the @ss if you have a lot of Digital music. i hope you may of found this informative to some degree
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Last edited by sureno; 25th September 2008 at 10:15 PM. . <
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 25th September 2008 , 11:57 PM
Furry Filter Phreak
 
Khazul's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 1,130
Default

I currently use a bunch of playlists to organise tracks in Traktor along with 'Mixed in Key 3' to help with harmonic mixing if I need to get tracks into a set on the fly.

Using playlists is a little cumbersome, but it makes it easy to stick a track under multiple categories easily.
Khazul is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 26th September 2008 , 11:24 AM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul View Post
I currently use a bunch of playlists to organise tracks in Traktor along with 'Mixed in Key 3' to help with harmonic mixing if I need to get tracks into a set on the fly.

Using playlists is a little cumbersome, but it makes it easy to stick a track under multiple categories easily.
hopefully i will be doing the same soon, im making a slow transition over to traktor and intend to get MIK
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 26th September 2008 , 11:34 AM
Son of 'Z'
 
EdRyan's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 1,864
Default

I'll be honest. I just gave up trying to sort in any particular way.

I just go for important stuff at the front of cd wallet, less important at the back..and whatever else inbetween !
EdRyan is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 26th September 2008 , 11:36 AM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRyan View Post
I'll be honest. I just gave up trying to sort in any particular way.

I just go for important stuff at the front of cd wallet, less important at the back..and whatever else inbetween !
surely you must label the CD's?
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 26th September 2008 , 12:45 PM
Son of 'Z'
 
EdRyan's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 1,864
Default

Well yeah of course I write on the discs.

But I don't try to group or order them in the wallet anymore. lol
EdRyan is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 26th September 2008 , 12:55 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRyan View Post
Well yeah of course I write on the discs.

But I don't try to group or order them in the wallet anymore. lol
i take it like house music and date right?
wow your memory must be awesome, what if some one asks you for a track?
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 26th September 2008 , 01:42 PM
Son of 'Z'
 
EdRyan's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 1,864
Default

I write the artist name, song title and then the mixes on the bottom 1/2 of the disc.

Sometimes my memory slips, and I can't find something. In which case, you see me start flipping through the wallet very quickly !

As for requests:

1) It's normally for 4x4, R&B etc... to which they get a polite apology for not having any.

2) Or they are so drunk, they they start with the "Have you got the song that goes ner ner ner, neeerrrr, dah be boo boo" kinda routine. In which case, I humour myself my talking to them, and then eventually stumble off
EdRyan is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 26th September 2008 , 02:04 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRyan View Post
I write the artist name, song title and then the mixes on the bottom 1/2 of the disc.

Sometimes my memory slips, and I can't find something. In which case, you see me start flipping through the wallet very quickly !

As for requests:

1) It's normally for 4x4, R&B etc... to which they get a polite apology for not having any.

2) Or they are so drunk, they they start with the "Have you got the song that goes ner ner ner, neeerrrr, dah be boo boo" kinda routine. In which case, I humour myself my talking to them, and then eventually stumble off
lmao yeah, i know what you mean, so you just put 1 single/artist on each CD or just your favourite tracks, i thought let me put each release onto it's own CD, i ended up with too many CD's so i ended up categorizing all my music and putting 10 tracks on each CD from the catogery and sub genre. very occasionally i get a request for something i like and have thats when these come in particularly handy
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 26th September 2008 , 02:08 PM
Mic Check 1!
 
TrevCircleStudios's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: England
Posts: 3,829
Default

Quote:
sub genres:
Afro/latin
Chicago
Commercial
Deep
Deep Bumpin'
Deep Funky
Deep Soul
Electronica
F Knows???
Funky Tech/Electro
Funky/Soulful
Jackin'
Jacking Swing
Minimal Glitch
Tech
Tribal
U.S Garage
Am thinking you'd find it easier if you just filed this stuff in the dustbin and got yourself some proper music.











harhar. Sorry. Couldn't resist.
______________________________
www.circlestudios.co.uk
TrevCircleStudios is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 26th September 2008 , 02:10 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
Am thinking you'd find it easier if you just filed this stuff in the dustbin and got yourself some proper music.











harhar. Sorry. Couldn't resist.
lmao! sureno mumbles under his breathe just because you have trouble mixing this
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 26th September 2008 , 03:36 PM
Furry Filter Phreak
 
Khazul's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 1,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRyan View Post
1) It's normally for 4x4, R&B etc... to which they get a polite apology for not having any.
I cant actually think of a polite answer for someone requesting R&B - most tempted to tell the nearby bouncer that they insulted me and ask them to throw them out - hot blonds included
Khazul is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 27th September 2008 , 06:18 PM
Son of 'Z'
 
EdRyan's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 1,864
Default

The worst I've said is that they could go to another club to hear that sort of music. I've never lost my rag with anyone.

Well, I did once actually. It was some blonde girl that kept treating the booth as a cloakroom and me as an attendant. She turned round and said I made a great babysitter.

I said I'm even better at making babies. It worked. Ok, so I had to sleaze on her, but she took everything and left me alone
EdRyan is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 27th September 2008 , 06:25 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRyan View Post
The worst I've said is that they could go to another club to hear that sort of music. I've never lost my rag with anyone.

Well, I did once actually. It was some blonde girl that kept treating the booth as a cloakroom and me as an attendant. She turned round and said I made a great babysitter.

I said I'm even better at making babies. It worked. Ok, so I had to sleaze on her, but she took everything and left me alone
lol i would of had to say "yeah and you look the type to have a lot of them" i hate patronising people
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 29th September 2008 , 08:03 AM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 297
Default

On the pc I divide my tracks up into Genre, and inside each genre I subdivide into Current Playlist, 2008 Releases and Previous Releases

In the cd wallet i tend to do somethign similar to Ed, important tracks to the front and the older stuff towards the back
conor_j is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.0
1999-2017 DV247 Ltd. All rights reserved.