DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 2nd July 2008 , 06:10 PM

Default iPOD DJ ?!?

I'm quite taken with the idea I can play at being a DJ with an iPod. The Numark IDJ2 looks like a great bit of kit but out of my price range. Is there anything else that has similar functionality, I don't want a toy (IDJ too simple/basic) but I don't want to spend the earth....

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris
chrisJA is offline Offline
Old 3rd July 2008 , 08:42 AM
DV Staff

If your on a budget you could go for the brand new Kam IMIX 100 - http://www.kam.co.uk/index.php?actio...&product_id=11

If you would like me to sort you out a deal please dont hesitate to call me on 01708 771991.
Simon@DVRomford is offline Offline
Last edited by Simon@DVRomford; 3rd July 2008 at 09:05 AM. . Reason: Added contact info ;-) <
Old 3rd July 2008 , 04:19 PM

http://www.dv247.com/invt/49380/

Looks like this is the cheapest aside from Simon's suggestion. Was checking out a Numark ipod deck but it didn't seem to have pitch control for some reason! :|

let us know how you get on!
Last edited by Robcore!; 3rd July 2008 at 04:24 PM. . <
Old 4th July 2008 , 10:01 PM

Thanks guys, I'll check these out.

Chris
chrisJA is offline Offline
Old 5th July 2008 , 04:42 PM
Spectrum Idoliser

These kind of DJ kits look interesting, but are there any available which aren't for an iPod? I realise Apple's the market leader, but my Creative Zen needs some love too...
Old 5th July 2008 , 11:09 PM
Rave Digga

yeah i agree theres to many ipod only products and not enough for other makes.
its as if apple are bribbing these companys too make stuff for them and too be honest i hate the ipods i think there over priced,unreliable,unstable .the creatives,sonys,philiips have more features ,smaller,cheaper and never crash or lose songs.
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 6th July 2008 , 09:41 AM
Spectrum Idoliser

My Creative can play MP3s, Wavs, Wmas, Avis, Mpegs, Xvids, Divxs, Wmvs, and display Jpegs, Gifs and Pngs. It has an inbuilt FM radio, a drag and drop software interface, an inbuilt microphone, and an organiser. It has crashed once in the two years I've owned it. And it was still cheaper than an equivalently sized (30GB) iPod.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind iPods, especially the newer touchscreen ones, but I know a good deal when I see one, and I'm not gonna buy an one just because it's an iPod.
Old 6th July 2008 , 02:31 PM
Rave Digga

me too mates i hate buying something just because there fashionable thats why i still wear my bay city roller jeans with ankle pockets ..shalang a lang !!!!
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 7th July 2008 , 08:54 AM

Hi all.

While I agree with the sentiment that there should be DJ products for other MP3 players, I think that the problem is there are as many control interfaces as there are players.

At least the iPOD has a consistent connection across the range so if something works with your Generation 3 iPOD it should (may) work with your iPhone or iPOD touch.

As these devices often take control of various features of the iPOD (play/pause etc etc) I wouldn't have thought that it would be commercially viable (and maybe not even possible) to make one for products made by Creative Labs, Samsung, SanDisk, Sony, B&O, Philips etc etc.

Cheers

Phil
philetaylor is offline Offline
Old 7th July 2008 , 05:48 PM
Spectrum Idoliser

Yeh, I reckon as well that companies will always look to produce items for the largest target market, so the iPod is where they will always look. A bit of shame that as it limits an open market somewhat.

Personally, I'd still rather use a CD or vinyl anyway as it's tried and tested to perfection.
Old 26th July 2008 , 07:23 AM

How about the Gemini iTrax they've just come out with it's small and has some pretty comprehensive features and I think it's about 60
Gemini Sound Products
Don't let the price put you off it looks like it's quite good but besides I would say that you're not going to be doing any serious Dj work with an iPod mixer it's just for a bit of a laugh at a party or whatever and that's why there's nothing that really extends beyond being fairly straightforward
Lighthouses is offline Offline
Old 29th July 2008 , 11:14 AM
DV Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouses View Post
How about the Gemini iTrax they've just come out with it's small and has some pretty comprehensive features and I think it's about 60
Gemini Sound Products
Don't let the price put you off it looks like it's quite good but besides I would say that you're not going to be doing any serious Dj work with an iPod mixer it's just for a bit of a laugh at a party or whatever and that's why there's nothing that really extends beyond being fairly straightforward
Gemini iTrax Black iPod USB DJ Mixer Black at DV247.COM

on the web now, Im afraid it's a bit more than 60.
gzweb is offline Offline
Old 17th September 2008 , 04:08 PM

Default ipod DJ

Hi,

the IDJ2 from Numark does have comprehensive Pitch control variable from +25% to - 100%and also Key lock ( changing speed without changing pitch) We do Other mass storage players without a specific ipod dock. see [url=http://www.numark.com]Numark[/url] for DDS80, HDMIX , IDEC etc

Please be aware that some ipod files bought from the itunes website are AAC copy protected and as a result many players will simply not see the file at all let alone play it- but the IDJ2 will in something called "direct mode" as far as I'm aware we are the only people who have this facility.

Anyone considering buying a numark mass storage player like an ipod should put their files through numarks librarian software FIRST as it's lightning quick.
thanks

Jon
jonatalesisakainumark is offline Offline
Old 17th September 2008 , 04:19 PM
Furry Filter Phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonatalesisakainumark View Post
Hi,

the IDJ2 from Numark does have comprehensive Pitch control variable from +25% to - 100%and also Key lock ( changing speed without changing pitch) We do Other mass storage players without a specific ipod dock. see Numark for DDS80, HDMIX , IDEC etc

Please be aware that some ipod files bought from the itunes website are AAC copy protected and as a result many players will simply not see the file at all let alone play it- but the IDJ2 will in something called "direct mode" as far as I'm aware we are the only people who have this facility.

Anyone considering buying a numark mass storage player like an ipod should put their files through numarks librarian software FIRST as it's lightning quick.
thanks

Jon
Direct play mode basically just turns the iDJ2 A channel into a remote control for the iPod - ie the iDJ2 A ch buttons and platter all directly control the equiv functions onthe ipod - so no pitch control etc and its a bit of messing switching in/out of that mode. Also if you depend on beat sync functins - then they are not actual for the a-deck then either, so good old fashion sync B by ear - not really a big deal tbh. Once the ipod is in direct play mode, then its behaves normally like it would in any other kind of dock, so you can take a break - play a mix cd off it or whatever...

One other thing I loath about the iDJ2 - the buttons have to be given a good hard prod - very spoungey and so real easy to miss a pickup.

BTW - another iPod player alternative is your laptop + traktor 3 apprently - according to the manual at least - cant say I have eever felt inclined to try it

Avoid the original iDJ though - phrase like 'worse than useless' come to mind

No experience with the KAM unit - way cheaper than the iDJ2.
Khazul is offline Offline
Old 24th September 2008 , 10:39 AM

Default ummmm

The IDJ2 plays most files no problem and yes they scratch, loop, pitch chage, key lock etc from IPODS . As you point out if someone has a track with the copy protection still on , (although there are apparently ways to strip out this coding which we cant condone in any way) then yes all you can do is play that track, (or indeed Video out of the machine SVHS socket)- however you can still have other mass storage devices i.e hard drives, playing at the same time on deck B and that can have all the control you would want, let alone the IDJ2's ability to have other CD players and Turntables attatched so it's not a big deal in IMHO.

The only other alternative product with an ipod dock is unable to [B][I]SEE[/I][/B] the file let alone play it! so I think the guys in Cambridge (UK) who designed it should get some some credit there.

Jon
jonatalesisakainumark is offline Offline