DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers

DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers (/)
-   DJ World (http://forums.dv247.com/dj-world/)
-   -   Recommeded Listening - Hip Hop (http://forums.dv247.com/dj-world/1040-recommeded-listening-hip-hop.html)

sphelan 10th September 2008 05:48 AM

Recommeded Listening - Hip Hop
 
While I have always been "aware" of dance music, I have only just started listening to it more closely with the view to producing similar results. But there is a huge amount to listen to.

I have started at the beginning with things like:

The Sugar Hill Gang: "Rapper's Delight"
Afrika Bambaataa and the Soulsonic Force: "Planet Rock
Coolio: "Boyfriend", "Gangsta's Paradise"

So I was wondering what you seasoned dance experts and DJs would recommend as a required listening for various genres - starting here with Hip Hop. These could be individual tracks or artists to explore. What are the important tracks that should be listened to in order to get into this genre?

e-vinyl 10th September 2008 10:15 AM

Im no dance expert , i am an hiphop expert so i might be of help here :D (finally xD).
You should start off by listening to grandmaster flash and the furious five (one of the first dj's and group to put out a record after sugarhill gang, also grandmaster flash invented "cutting"). Afterwards you might tune your ear to run dmc so you can hear those 808's and 909's banging. Then listen to gangstarr so you can check out the "master" of mpc's, dj premier and guru's mature lyrics.
Finally any hiphop listenner has to know rakim as he revolutionalized the way rappers rhymed.
This is what i think you should listen to know +- what hiphop is all about, if you ever get deeper into hiphop i can advise you more artists ;).
Hope i helped :D

sphelan 10th September 2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e-vinyl (Post 6649)
Im no dance expert , i am an hiphop expert so i might be of help here :D (finally xD).
You should start off by listening to grandmaster flash and the furious five (one of the first dj's and group to put out a record after sugarhill gang, also grandmaster flash invented "cutting"). Afterwards you might tune your ear to run dmc so you can hear those 808's and 909's banging. Then listen to gangstarr so you can check out the "master" of mpc's, dj premier and guru's mature lyrics.
Finally any hiphop listenner has to know rakim as he revolutionalized the way rappers rhymed.
This is what i think you should listen to know +- what hiphop is all about, if you ever get deeper into hiphop i can advise you more artists ;).
Hope i helped :D

Hip hop isn't dance???:confused:

Good start with the recomendations e-vinyl. I'm on it! I've already got Grandmaster Flash bagged!

sureno 10th September 2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelan (Post 6628)
While I have always been "aware" of dance music, I have only just started listening to it more closely with the view to producing similar results. But there is a huge amount to listen to.

I have started at the beginning with things like:

The Sugar Hill Gang: "Rapper's Delight"
Afrika Bambaataa and the Soulsonic Force: "Planet Rock
Coolio: "Boyfriend", "Gangsta's Paradise"

So I was wondering what you seasoned dance experts and DJs would recommend as a required listening for various genres - starting here with Hip Hop. These could be individual tracks or artists to explore. What are the important tracks that should be listened to in order to get into this genre?

wow, i used to be a real Hip Hop junkie when i was around 16-17! 10 years on i dislike what they now call Hip Hop. so imo check these artists out:

Mobb Deep- the infamous/hell on earth & even murda muzik
Jay Z-Reasonable Doubt
Capone n noreaga- war report
KRS1
lords of the undergroung-keepers of the funk
Das efx
ghetto boyz-ghetto warfare
goodie mob-soul food
bone thugs and harmony-e1999
juru da damaga
group home-living proof
lost boyz- they got 2 good albums but look for a track called "renee"
wu tang clan-36 chambers
grave diggaz-6ft under/pick and the sickel....???
AZ-doe or die
biggie-ready to die
2pac-all eyes on me

there are so many more i just cant think, i have a huge collection of Hip Hop from the early 90's very late 80's, the best period imo. look for all the artists earlyish stuff

sphelan 10th September 2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureno (Post 6673)
wow, i used to be a real Hip Hop junkie when i was around 16-17! 10 years on i dislike what they now call Hip Hop. so imo check these artists out:

Mobb Deep- the infamous/hell on earth & even murda muzik
Jay Z-Reasonable Doubt
Capone n noreaga- war report
KRS1
lords of the undergroung-keepers of the funk
Das efx
ghetto boyz-ghetto warfare
goodie mob-soul food
bone thugs and harmony-e1999
juru da damaga
group home-living proof
lost boyz- they got 2 good albums but look for a track called "renee"
wu tang clan-36 chambers
grave diggaz-6ft under/pick and the sickel....???
AZ-doe or die
biggie-ready to die
2pac-all eyes on me

there are so many more i just cant think, i have a huge collection of Hip Hop from the early 90's very late 80's, the best period imo. look for all the artists earlyish stuff

S***! Now that's a helluvalota research to start doing. I better stop posting...if you don't hear from me in the next 2 weeks you know I'm listenin, listenin, listenin!!;)

modz1 10th September 2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelan (Post 6671)
Hip hop isn't dance???:confused:

Well, you can of course 'dance' to Hip Hop, but listening to the likes of Galaxy/Kiss FM etc, the current trendy terminology infers that 'dance' seems to incorporate house (tech, funky and progressive), trance and hardcore (I think :confused:). 'Hip-Hop', to these mainstream stations, would fall into their 'R&B' category..

Quote:

"And I would've got away with it, if it wasn't for you meddling kids"!
:D

sureno 10th September 2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelan (Post 6675)
S***! Now that's a helluvalota research to start doing. I better stop posting...if you don't hear from me in the next 2 weeks you know I'm listenin, listenin, listenin!!;)

let me know what you think, i grew up on that plus many more;)

sureno 10th September 2008 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modz1 (Post 6679)
Well, you can of course 'dance' to Hip Hop, but listening to the likes of Galaxy/Kiss FM etc, the current trendy terminology infers that 'dance' seems to incorporate house (tech, funky and progressive), trance and hardcore (I think :confused:). 'Hip-Hop', to these mainstream stations, would fall into their 'R&B' category..

:D

or urban :rolleyes:

sphelan 10th September 2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modz1 (Post 6679)
Well, you can of course 'dance' to Hip Hop, but listening to the likes of Galaxy/Kiss FM etc, the current trendy terminology infers that 'dance' seems to incorporate house (tech, funky and progressive), trance and hardcore (I think :confused:). 'Hip-Hop', to these mainstream stations, would fall into their 'R&B' category..

:D

I presumed it was. And looking up wikipedia, Hip hop is listed! What do I know!
Electronic dance music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I suppose you can dance to anything really. Can't you?:D

sureno 10th September 2008 12:44 PM

Here Goes!!!
 
Some Vids may be "EXPLICIT" in content please view with caution

some of my favourite tracks for you
who remembers "Yo Mtv Raps" :D




Lost boyz - renee



mobb deep - half way thugs



L.O.T.U.G - never faded



group home - livin proof



the pharcyde - drop



wu tang clan - C.R.E.A.M (cash rules everything around me)



goodie mob - cell therapy



AZ - mo money mo murda



ghetto boyz - ghetto fantasy



capone n noreaga - T.O.N.Y (top of new york)



Das EFX - real hip hop



KRS 1 - step into the world



B.T.n.H - mo murda



Shyhiem - real bad boys

e-vinyl 10th September 2008 01:27 PM

Well technicly hiphop is electronic thanks to the use of samplers as hiphop beats usually do not have live instruments on their composition.
I'll also add song titles worth listening here too just in case :D :
- scarface ft. ice cube - hand of the dead body
- shyheim - shaolin style
- big l - mvp
- kool g rap - ill street blues
- big daddy kane - show n prove
- verbal threat - reality check
- lupe fiasco - day dreamin
- eminem - infinite

i agree with sureno , i hate what they call hiphop these days :mad:

sureno 10th September 2008 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e-vinyl (Post 6720)
Well technicly hiphop is electronic thanks to the use of samplers as hiphop beats usually do not have live instruments on their composition.
I'll also add song titles worth listening here too just in case :D :
- scarface ft. ice cube - hand of the dead body
- shyheim - shaolin style
- big l - mvp
- kool g rap - ill street blues
- big daddy kane - show n prove
- verbal threat - reality check
- lupe fiasco - day dreamin
- eminem - infinite

i agree with sureno , i hate what they call hiphop these days :mad:

YES YES YES!!! i forgot about him. but i have to slightly dis agree with the live instruments arguement, you'll find this is where east/west coast will come in. but on a whole many groups did play live bass and sample there own drums, sequenced electronically via mpc for example yes but definately alot of instruments

sphelan 10th September 2008 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e-vinyl (Post 6720)

i agree with sureno , i hate what they call hiphop these days :mad:

Without getting into a huge debate - although this might be quite interesting - what's the basic difference between the old stuff and that of today?

sureno 10th September 2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelan (Post 6724)
Without getting into a huge debate - although this might be quite interesting - what's the basic difference between the old stuff and that of today?

new stuff: pretty boy Fake b@llsh!t

sphelan 10th September 2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureno (Post 6726)
new stuff: pretty boy Fake b@llsh!t

D'ya wanna expand on dat?


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.0
1999-2017 DV247 Ltd. All rights reserved.