DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 4th July 2010 , 06:16 AM
Uber Member

Default Problem i've been having

I've been meaning to ask about this for a while. It's about inserting effects presets on a particular track. I was listening to a project last night and was just trying things out here and there and there is something i've noticed. I have acoustic Guitar recorded in stereo on 2 seperate tracks, one panned hard left and one hard right. I decided to experiment with the "dynamics" inserts, so i ended up finding a limiter preset (i think it was) which was called "strumming acoustic" in the drop down bar and applied it to the track which had the (left) side of acoustic recorded. So i decided to apply it to the right side track but it wouldn't let me This isn't the first time this has happened. I can't seem to open the same effect preset in any 2 tracks in the one project. Why is this? I can open the same insert effect on 2 tracks but i can't use the same preset. Another thing i noticed as well is. I have used BFD2 to record on another track. The thing is, i noticed there was another nice percussion sound in BFD2 that i wanted in the track but which wasn't possible for me to play whilst actually playing the drum part so i opened a new track and opened BFD2 as the vst instrument for that track but the thing is, when i hit record, cubase wouldn't record the sound from it. It was as if because i had used BFD for another track, i could not use it again for a new track in the same project. Even though it opened a new independent window for each track, it wouldn't record any sound from the second one, although i WAS getting sound. Any ideas?

Thank you.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 4th July 2010 , 09:43 AM
Mic Check 1!

Sounds weird. Am not a cubase user so don't know what to say but I'm sure there's a workaround. Is it a bussing issue maybe?
Old 4th July 2010 , 09:47 AM
Uber Member

No idea. I've never had any problems with Cubase refusing to let me do even the most stupid of things like that. I'm not an expert but I have had several instances of the same plug-in running the same preset on different tracks (and occasionally the same track, just for fun). I think that's what your describing.
Old 4th July 2010 , 11:10 AM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Piano, I think Trev is right, it's probably a bussing issue.

I get the impression that you are possibly more of a visual learner (as I am), rather than someone who can get all the information they need from reading a text book. I think you would really benefit from attending a short or day course in using Cubase. I'm not sure exactly whereabouts in central Scotland you are, but the Glasgow Met College runs evening/Saturday courses that cover Cubase (for example, their Introduction to Music Technology). I think you'd gain a huge amount from a day of one to one training or a few evening group classes on using Cubase.
Old 4th July 2010 , 11:49 AM
Uber Member

Probably is something i should think about doing Dave. I have thought about it actually only just recently.

I can't seem to figure out how to fix the problem but i'll keep trying. It's strange that i can open an effect insert like a limiter in one track and select a preset within it, but if i try and select the exact same preset for another track, it just refuses to do it. The BFD one is really annoying though as there are some little percussion parts i would like to record on tracks which, like i say, would mean i would have to make 2 drum tracks but even though i get the sound through the headphones on the second BFD opened, cubase doesn't record that sound.

I'm going to have another fiddle about with it now actually. It's bugging the hell out of me.

Thanks anyway guys, i'm sure i'll figure it out eventually.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 4th July 2010 , 12:40 PM
Uber Member

Right, well i've managed to fix the problem of not being able to use the same 2 dynamics presets on more than one channel. I don't know what i ws doing before but it seems to work fine now.

I still can't use BFD on 2 different tracks though. I can open a second instrument track and another BFD kit page appears and i get sound through the CR headphones and monitors, but cubase just refuses to record the sound going through it.

It could well be a bussing issue though as Trev suggests because there is another thing i have noticed. When i have recorded an instrument track, wether it be drums or strings on Halione or something like that. I can never hear those tracks through the AUX headphones which is supposedly the bus for the "musicians". It doesn't really affect me as i just listen through the CR headphones but any midi instrument track i record doesn't seem to go through the AUX bus atall. The only things i can hear through that bus is only instruments and signals i have recorded directly into cubase through my N12, and the signal is always dry, never wet. I suppose that's probably right but i would have thought i should be able to hear any midi tracks through that bus too as my drums are done that way and surely you would think it would be better if the drums came through the aux bus aswell as everything else.

God, it gets really confusing when you start talking about busses. I was going bloody crosseyed trying to understand it when i was reading the N12 manual before i actually got it. It still has me scratching my head at times.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 4th July 2010 , 01:43 PM
Rave Digga

have you tried bouncing the bfd record parts too audio..its very simple too do just mute the parts you dont want bouncing too an audio track goto your file/options at the top left scroll down too output and select the channels you want to convert too audio..best quality will be wav as your not losing anything quality wise dont go for mp3 as the qualitys not as good..
once bounced it will ask you if youd like too import it into your project tick yes then it will give it its own channel were you can do more processing on it.and it frees up loads of cpu power bfd twats your cpu i have the free one i got with some hardware and even that can **** it sometimes but too keep it under control i just bounce and its better because its much easier to tweak and do rewinds..glitches..etc.

if you dont want to go on a course to learn about cubase theres loads of brilliant video tutorials out theresome are free on youtube and some like groove 3 tutorials can be bought for about 35 and thre a really good way too learn as you can play the vids as you have a session up so you can do things step by step.

heres another great one by ask...http://www.dv247.com/books-and-train...level-1--64937

youll learn much faster with these than you will looking at a book because it shows you every single step and takes it slowly so you learn better.
make sure you get the cubase 5 ones though as some of the things are slightly different too cubase 4 and loads different too the cubase sx ones there really out dated.
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 4th July 2010 , 02:54 PM
Forum Poet

Don't be afraid to watch/buy an overview video. I'm sure there must be one for Cubase. There is for my DAW and other DAWs. I also bought one even though I know most of the basics anyway. They are really good and a visual is far easier to follow than the manual for most people. I know a lot of people don't like paying for stuff like that but it beats months of frustration, in my opinion.
Old 4th July 2010 , 06:10 PM
Rave Digga

yep there much better than a book..ive bought cubase books before and some arnt helpful and some give you info thats not even relevant to your version of cubase..if you go onto youtube and type in cubase tutorials theres loads on there for free.
or buy a mag like music tech were they put cubase 5 tutorials in each month with videos and help files so you know exactlly what there trying to teach you..
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 4th July 2010 , 07:24 PM
Uber Member

I don't get what you mean when you say bounce it Waxxy. I have bounced tracks before in the past but i don't know what you mean On this occasion. When the drum track is playing, the BFD page is open with its mixer etc and the drums light up etc It's not like when i record guitar or something and that's it recorded and nothing can be changed. With the drums, even though i have recorded the drum parts, i can go in and change things. Are you saying that there is a way to actually export the drum track to a track as like a final mix which can't be altered and this in turn would Free up the programme again to be used on another track?

Sometimes it's hard to explain things on here. If it comes to it, i'll make a video of what i mean. I would have thought that i'd be able use the same vst instrument on 2 different tracks. I can do it with every other one as far as i'm aware, just not BFD.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 4th July 2010 , 07:27 PM
Uber Member

ahh wait a minute, i think i've just clicked on to what you mean Waxxy. Now that may work! I'll let you know.

Thank You.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 5th July 2010 , 12:14 PM
Rave Digga

yep thats what i mean you can bounce each track down from a midi too a audio file then you get better control over how it sounds and you can save your cpu power for fx instead of powering bfd.
waxxy is offline Offline