DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 20th June 2010 , 08:08 AM
Uber Member

Default Is there a vocal toolkit in Cubase?

Just wondering if this is in Cubase. And if so, how do you access it?
Piano is offline Offline
Old 20th June 2010 , 08:32 AM
Tarnce Monkey

Do you mean a vocal strip?
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 20th June 2010 , 09:06 AM
Rave Digga

if youve got cubase 5 youve got the variaudio which is basically melodyne were by you can analyse a piece of audio it tells you what key each element is in then you can drag each note to the desired note..its very fast and i find its much easier to use than melodyne you can alter any audio i use it on drums,vocals,samples anything
heres a list of some of the plug ins in cubase 5 the list is missing a few extra ones but the bulks here.http://www.steinberg.net/en/products...base5_vst.html
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products...wfeatures.html

if your using studio 5 which i think you are you dont have this but you do have the autotune feature which is called pitchcorrect brilliant for creating kanye west type effects on your voice.if you click on the above links the new feature link has videos showing you the audio features in action.

some of the effects are accessed from the audio edit page not the fx vst list so they can be a bugger to find sometimes.one thing i hated about studio 5 compared to cubase 5 is the book you get with it,in studio 5 it tells you nothing about the new features it just gives you a basic run threw the one in cubase 5 is mega heavy and full off info but even that still misses out on lots of the new features which is wrong i hate reading pdfs.

another cool addition i dont know if youve used yet is beat designer its a midi step drum machine were you can draw in your drum patterns once drawn you just drag the midi file to your arranger window.you use this in conjuction with grooveone or any other drum vst you have but i mainly use it with groove one or groove agent 3.

oh and dont forget piano/tehlord cubase gets updated this week too cubase 5.5 were youll get alot of cool new sounds for groove agent and get lots of new tweaks and features youll also get a new amp modeller thats supposed to be brilliant. rumour has it its online tommorow 21st thats what some mods have let leak on the offical cubase forums.
waxxy is offline Offline
Last edited by waxxy; 20th June 2010 at 09:09 AM. . <
Old 20th June 2010 , 09:47 AM
Uber Member

I just mean vocal effects. Like a plug-in or something, tools to enhance vocals. I'm not looking for any effect in particular or anything, i'm just wondering if it has any. I've had a look for vocal software but all i could find was Antares, who seem to do Vocal processing software but from what i can gather it only works with Pro Tools. I'm just wondering if there is a dedicated vocal toolkit or effects section within Cubase.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 20th June 2010 , 09:57 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post
Do you mean a vocal strip?
What's a vocal strip? And is there one?
Piano is offline Offline
Old 20th June 2010 , 11:32 AM
Uber Member

I assume Tehlord meant vocal channel strip you can preload and have the useful plugs preset.
I don't know, and would be interested to find out. I just upgraded from 4. Waxy was right about the manual, I was still wading through the manual for 4 when I upgraded...now I have a whole new one to plow through.
I'm definitely looking forward to playing with VariAudio. I have put off playing with 5 due to having little time and anticipating the 5.5 update.
Old 20th June 2010 , 11:54 AM
Uber Member

I hate having to read through the manuals. I know i should, but i tend to just scan them or look for particular things. I also hate that the detailed manual has to be on the PC in a PDF file or whatever it is. I much prefer a paper manual i can sit down and read on the couch. I'll have a mess about later, see if i can see anything. If there's nothing much there, i might buy some software. It all depends how my vocal sounds just plugging straight into the consoles preamp with maybe just a little reverb or something. I haven't had the chance to record my vocals yet on the couple of projects i'm working on as i don't have the mic i want yet and i'm now having to save up for a new car so i've had to resist buying any new gear until i get some new wheels, but i should be sorted in a few weeks and i'll get my mic soon after along with some acoustic treatment, something which i previously didn't take too seriously but am starting to realise it's importance!

Cheers anyway guys.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 20th June 2010 , 12:20 PM
Uber Member

I never gave acoustic treatment a second thought either, until I started spending time here. Unfortuately/fortunately I live I a studio flat so my studio is also my main living area. This means I've had to continually downsize and reorganise until I have something I can live with. Luckily my new set up means my monitor are well off a wall and when I've got some front ported ones there won't be any real problems (at the moment one is angled toward a wall unit at the rear). There really isn't anything I can do about my room thought, but my sofa and bookcase and such work as obsticles and diffusors of a sort so I don't get any weird reflections. This is also probably because I have to limit my volume somewhat most of the time though.

Ao yeah, to summarise-acoustic treatment=good, but not something I thought about initially either.
Old 20th June 2010 , 01:17 PM
Rave Digga

theres one channel strip which is called vst dynamics its got a compressor,gate,limiter and soft clipper all in one insert.thats great for using on vocal track or you can create your own by adding your usual vsts too a channel strip then save it as a preset then you can recall it whenever you want to whatever channel you want.
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 20th June 2010 , 08:57 PM
Rave Digga

also heres a link for any plug ins your missing for cubase..there older plug ins but there free new via the steinberg legacy website and gives you gems such as magneto (tape limiter)/lm7 (one of the first and best drum machines)/vb-1 (really good bass guitar vst),vocoder(my favourite vocoder plug in),quadrafuzz(great for adding a bit of dirt to your drums)...some of these plug ins cost alot when they first came out but now there old or they no longer support them theyve given them away free so get them mate..all you do is clic on each thing you want,save it,then drag it too your vst folder,restart cubase itll then add them to the plug in list ready too use..

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Leg...%20Plugins/PC/
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 20th June 2010 , 08:59 PM
Rave Digga

and heres a link to more things to download and add to cubase ..

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Leg...ional_Content/

and heres a list of everything..including updates and patches you may have missed..

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/

and heres some free synths and fx such as karlette which is a tape delay similar to rolands space echo

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Legacy_Plugins/PC/
waxxy is offline Offline