DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 21st May 2010 , 09:24 AM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Being new to PC DAWs, as you are, I'd say Cubase Studio 5 plus any plugins you add will give you enough of a learning curve to deal with for the time being. As you've already said, upgrading later once you're comfortable with CS5 is the more sensible idea. Steinberg are pretty good with upgrade costs between the version levels. Buying CS5 and then upgrading to C5 only costs around 30 more than buying C5 in the first place.
Old 21st May 2010 , 09:29 AM
Tarnce Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boulden View Post
Being new to PC DAWs, as you are, I'd say Cubase Studio 5 plus any plugins you add will give you enough of a learning curve to deal with for the time being. As you've already said, upgrading later once you're comfortable with CS5 is the more sensible idea. Steinberg are pretty good with upgrade costs between the version levels. Buying CS5 and then upgrading to C5 only costs around 30 more than buying C5 in the first place.

+1

I have all I need and i'm on Cubase Studio 4.

The only real difference between the studio and full versions of Cubase are usually VST plugins (and control room functionality).

GAS will dictate you double or triple up on all the included plugins anyway
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 21st May 2010 , 02:39 PM
Rave Digga

what you could do piano is wait until cubase 6 comes out which it enevitably will in maybe a year or two the cheapest way youll be able to do it is either get your neice to buy it or wait until they do a knock down amnesty uprade wee by if you buy cubase 5 within a set period youll get cubase 6 for about 20 pounds which is what i did.
if youve never used cubase before then studio 5 will easily be good enough for you and unless youve used full versions before you wont really miss the missing plug ins just yet and another reason you could han fire with the upgrade at such an early time of using cubase is the fact cubase and studio will get a really big free update in the next few weeks to cubase 5.5 /studio 5.5 this will add lots of new cool features and add ons so when you get the update it may give you new features which will last you along time.
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 22nd May 2010 , 05:49 AM
Uber Member

This is my first time properly using a DAW waxxy so it's pretty new lol I appreciate the advice though and i definitely will update at some point but as i'm just a new user, i think i probably have got enough to contend with at the moment. As you say, might be a better idea just waiting for Cubase 6 anyway.

Just to add, actually got down to work on a song yesterday as it's the first proper chance i have had to record and things seemed to go pretty good. No problems, straight forward enough and i've been far far happier with the results as opposed to what i was getting before using the R16. Once i eventually get it finished and i feel brave enough, i'll let you hear it and you guys an pick it apart and tell me what i can improve on.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 22nd May 2010 , 11:06 AM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano View Post
Once i eventually get it finished and i feel brave enough, i'll let you hear it and you guys an pick it apart and tell me what i can improve on.
No need to get worried, you'll only get constructive advice on here.... post it as soon as it's done!