DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 18th March 2009 , 08:37 PM
Rave Digga

Default ive got cubase 5 now !!

my grace period cubase 5 just arrived today and i must say this is the best daw ive ever used and the best version of cubase ever !!

reverance is the best reverb ive got or used is simple and intuative to use and the quality is mind blowing it will also let you import any impulse so get looking on the net for lots of freebies .

loop mash is weird and will take some tweaking to get right but as it stands its a great product and shows lots of promise and cant wait for the update that will be out in a little while to fix the bugs in it.

haliONES new expression presets are classy and realistic and need no tweaking for them too sound great in the mix.

variaudio is exactlly the same as melodyne but too me i think its much easier to use and quicker to use too because its in your project not like melodyne which is rewired.

also i was just chatting to someone online who works for steinberg and theres a new vol 2 sound collection on its way with new sounds for groove agent one/reverance/halione..i cant wait !!!

if your undecided about buying cubase 5 goto the tour thats going on around the uk its not only at dv247 stores its at many other retailers too check out the features then go buy it you wont be sorry..im selling my studio 5 on ebay now if anyones intrested
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 18th March 2009 , 08:40 PM
Forum Idol

WOW wicked, glad for you mate, sounds awesome! quite a statement too that it's the best DAW you have used, i have to admit it does look great
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 18th March 2009 , 09:24 PM
Rave Digga

paul you gotta try it out mate its got some amazing things in it..goto one of the tours and see what it can do the videos on youtube dont do it any justice cubase 5,s reverance is worth the money alone for that reverb,its crystal clear unlike some other reverbs ive used which were hissy or artifical sounding i think this is better than altiverb and i loved that plug in but this ones better in my opinion,the faders are a cool feature too hold down the mouse button and a fader ops up so you can change the values that wy i also think its nice the way the reverbs fade in instead of bang there in like some plug ins do.

and the beat creator and groove agent one are amazingly fast at creating dance floor stompers in seconds,its very intuative to use and the qualitys excellent.if you do decide to buy it paul dont forget what i told you to do to get the discount
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 18th March 2009 , 10:17 PM
Forum Idol

i may go to one of the open days actually, also i would like to see where logic goes in the near future but hell it does look good, be sure to tell us how you get on with it mate
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 19th March 2009 , 02:19 AM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Got to say I'm becoming more and more of a fan of REVerence... though mainly for acoustic material... at the moment I'm still finding it easier to place vocals using a combination of VSS3 and NonLin2 in full band type recordings.
Old 19th March 2009 , 09:42 AM
Forum Poet

When one DAW closes, another one opens.

Have fun.
Old 19th March 2009 , 01:33 PM
Rave Digga

i know i do different type of music to you dave but the reverance makes trance /house tracks sound really full and bright..i loaded up an old track just too see how much of a difference it makes and i was gobsmacked.i used the tokyo city preset and i placed the reverance on the master channel and just played around with the wet mix fader until i was happy and i found the sweet spot to be around 45 percent wet it wasnt too echoey or make the track sound distant in fact it brought out some parts and gave the track an extra bit of life.then a knocked the reverbaration tail back a bit so the reverb had a quicker ending.
i think some of the presets do need a bit of tweaking because some are too echoey but once you get the balance right its amazing.but it also depends on what style of music your doing if your using it for soundtrack/movie work the presets dont need touching but for rock/dance they need a little editing but editing is a joy not a chore llike some vsts..i hate editing in ozone i find it hard sometimes to get any balance on some tracks bt this is fine.
if steinberg ever sold this on its own theyd make a bomb ..cant wait for theupdate for this in a few weeks ive been told there gonna sort out the cpu load on this because at the minute it does hammer your processor a little more than altiverb 5 does, but i feel the quality of the product makes it a better product than altiverb 5.
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 19th March 2009 , 03:26 PM
Uber Member

I give it 3 days before the Cubase curse kicks in and its starts throwing a wobbler hehe.
Seriously though glad you're having fun with it, it is definitely on my list to get-am mainly waiting for all the instability issues to come up and be solved although reading back on the SB forums the main reason C4's issues got left unattended was 5 was in the pipeline so hopefully they put out a stable product from the get-go. I'm most interested in the beat creator and groove agent features-they do look wicked.
Don't think I'm gonna be able to make it to any of the tourdue to practicality issues which is a damn shame, was rather hoping I would. Keep us up-to-date on how you get on with it mate, will save my pennies
Old 19th March 2009 , 03:45 PM
Rave Digga

its not really unstable in fact i think alot of the bad press it gets is down to the fact everyone has different computers so ceratin pcs are more stable than others ive used studio 4 for 4 months and i can only remember it crashing once and that was due to me having a virus scan going on in the background which i didnt know about but i find as long as i disconnect from the internet while im using cubase i have no problems ..i think theres othere daws with more crashes and updates than cubasse take sonar that has lots of updates it seems theres one out every week lol..and i used sonar years ago because i used to read raves reviews about it but i had crashes everytime i used it and in the end i fired it off and went back to cubase.

the beat tools in cubase 5 are the simplest and fastest ones ive used..ive tried others but ive never been fully happy with either there performance or there sounds with cubase 5 the sounds are upto date and the beat creator is a dream to use very fluid and intuitave you dont need to read pages of pdfs to find ot what does what its all there in your main screen and uses the new fader system to edit perameters so its really quick to get complex beats going.

ive still yet to get my head around loop mash but the loops and samples they give you free to use with it ,nearly 1gbs worth of loops just for loopmash !!
they sound fresh and its really good how you can listen to one loop and say you like the kiks but hate the snares you then load up a sample loop with thhe snares you like it time stretches it too fit the first loop then replaces the first loops snares with the snnares from the second..and then you can add a loop with drums and music it will take out the beats leave you with the music and sync it too your first loop once your happy you drag the new loops to your arrange window or create a songs worth of loops and fills and fire them off from loop mashes live pads ..really great.
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 19th March 2009 , 03:49 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxxy View Post
i know i do different type of music to you dave but the reverance makes trance /house tracks sound really full and bright..
... and that alludes to the key: "use the right tool for the job". If it sounds good on your material, then that's the right tool to use. I'm sure as I try more impulses with REVerence I'll start to find more ambiances that I like.

I'd say I already prefer it to Waves IR-L. Since you've mentioned it, it's well worth trying 3rd party impulses. The impulses don't necessarily need to be reverb based either, there are some impulses taken from preamps and various other bits of gear out there too which may come in handy when you need to add some colour to a specific sound.

Here's a few links to some free impulse WAVs:

http://noisevault.com/nv/index.php?o...tory&Itemid=29
http://www.xs4all.nl/~fokkie/IR.htm
http://www.voxengo.com/impulses/
http://www.cksde.com/f_6.htm
Last edited by Dave Boulden; 19th March 2009 at 04:14 PM. . <
Old 19th March 2009 , 04:10 PM
Pushing the Envelope

I find Cubase 5 incredibly stable to say the least. The .pgm import on GA1 is a nifty feature as well. Really impressed overall.

Hoping the update sorts our REVerence's love of CPU spiking.

Overall though, a great update.

I'm looking forward to really getting into a project on it soon. Touching the surface though, automation, the new audio tools, plug-ins etc. are great.

Best Cubase yet, after 3.1 on the 1040STE.
mutilatedlip is offline Offline
Old 19th March 2009 , 05:35 PM
Hell-Rider

God damn gonna have to upgrade again, seems like 5 is the boy . trying to hang on as long as poss tho as i wanna go over to windows 7 x64, anybody tried 5 on 64bit vista ?
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 20th March 2009 , 09:15 AM
Pushing the Envelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYDMF View Post
God damn gonna have to upgrade again, seems like 5 is the boy . trying to hang on as long as poss tho as i wanna go over to windows 7 x64, anybody tried 5 on 64bit vista ?
Yes, I have. I first installed Cubase 5 64Bit. However, a few of my plug-ins failed to work with it.

A real pain, but stuff like Battery were problematic. It just opened, but wasn't visible, and a few issues like that, so I just peeled back the version until it's ready.
mutilatedlip is offline Offline
Old 20th March 2009 , 05:03 PM
Rave Digga

yeah theres problems with 64bit but ive read it should be fixed in the next update..dave i got the vox impulses there really good ..theres loads more posted on the kvr website if anyone else wants some more.

after using for a few days now i must report on one problem ive had a few times ..my transport bar will completely disappear and wont reappear when i click f2 or even if i change my resolution settings i know sometimes the bar will move and cant be seen because its off to the side only way back is change resolution but this wont fix it so what i have to do is save /quit and restart .

i think it could be a cpu problem..reverance hammers my cpu big time and it seems to happen if i use reverance and 4 vst synths/5 tracks of samples/groove agent one..and a few vst fx when i do this bang it diappears i think maybe its more to do with my computer trying to save resorses..do you think this would perform better if i buy a seperate graphics card?at the minute im just using the mother board on board graphics chip..im wondering if id get a bigger perofmace boost if i install another grahic card ..any recommendations?id like one which can let me use two monitors..ive only got one monitor now but i want another one in a few months ive been looking at buying a touch screen my builder mate has said hes got a wicked idea to make me studio table and sink two touch screens in it so i can use them like Euphonix MC Control ,hes also designed the table to have my mpd24s pads and knobs sank in it too so i can use them..the design looks amazing black high gloss plastic with the two touch screens in and the pads /konbs ripped out my mpd and sank in without the mpd shell..only problem is weve priced it up and for 2 touch screens /cabling/materials it works out around 800 pounds but it will be a beast ..ill just have to keep quite and be extra nice to the wife for a few months before i drop the bomb shell .lol

so if i can get a cheap but good grahics cards big thanks
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 20th March 2009 , 05:15 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxxy View Post
yeah theres problems with 64bit but ive read it should be fixed in the next update..

my transport bar will completely disappear and wont reappear when i click f2 or even if i change my resolution settings i know sometimes the bar will move and cant be seen because its off to the side only way back is change resolution but this wont fix it so what i have to do is save /quit and restart .
It begins...or at least it will in the next update *ahem*

Same problem I have with 4. It may not be CPU based as it happens to me with fuff all running-but then it is a different program I guess.

2 monitors is much easier-increased my (admittedly rubbish) workrate several times over (and I don't even really know what I'm doing), but not in the know to make suggestions. I just like posting occasionally really.

Keep us up to date with the touch screen doohicky, sounds ace.