DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Digital Audio Sequencers > Cubase
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Cubase Discuss Steinberg's popular DAS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd February 2009 , 09:21 PM
Uber Member

Default Why doesn't Midi want to play with me?

My midi controller isn't showing up. Its also my soundcard and a synth, both of which are registering fine but the midi won't happen. I've changed no Cubase settings, all leads are firmly connected and everything is exactly the same. The only thing I have done is install Vista SP1 which I'm sure shouldn't effect midi input within Cubase which works fine.

Baffles me and I've exhausted everything I know, any obvious thing I've missed? You guys are better than any troubleshooting readme I could find.
Old 22nd February 2009 , 09:36 PM
Mic Check 1!

sorry dude. Dont know my way around cubase. Presumably you've set up a handshake?
Old 22nd February 2009 , 09:49 PM
Rave Digga

cubase does this from time to time itll mess your settings up when you instal other software ..i bet the vista instal has messed with your midi settings some how in cubase no need to worry ..check your devices menu in cubase and make sure the boxes are saying yes also check your audio sound devices menu in your windows control panel make sure the midi devices option is chosing the required device sometimes these get reset which updating windows mine did when i installed service pack 2 xp.

just check these and get back to us..also which cubase are you using sx3/4/5?
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 22nd February 2009 , 10:01 PM
Uber Member

Everything is the same as it was, it was pretty much plug and play from the start (good old Novation). Everything is set to 'all midi inputs' still. Its not even like its reading it but not doing anything, the little red bar doesn't wink at me.Will have to have a proper look tomorrow when I get a second. Will check the suggestions then, cheers guys. Its usually something obvious.

I'm on 4.
Old 22nd February 2009 , 10:03 PM
Forum Poet

I don't use cubase but there can't be much that can be missing. Midi in general requires the controller/device to be set up and the right in and outs on the track

Oh and sometimes you need to have the midi controller/device switched on before you launch the programme.
Old 22nd February 2009 , 11:01 PM
Round The Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilty View Post
The only thing I have done is install Vista SP1 which I'm sure shouldn't effect midi input within Cubase which works fine.
Vista SP1 contains a couple of hotfixes for MIDI bugs so it is possible that the SP1 has messed something up. It might come down to having to re-install the drivers for your soundcard and particularly making sure you have the latest drivers for your soundcard which might now be necessary with SP1 installed.
Out of curiousity, what make/model is your soundcard?
saxman is offline Offline
Old 23rd February 2009 , 07:17 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman View Post
Vista SP1 contains a couple of hotfixes for MIDI bugs so it is possible that the SP1 has messed something up. It might come down to having to re-install the drivers for your soundcard and particularly making sure you have the latest drivers for your soundcard which might now be necessary with SP1 installed.
Out of curiousity, what make/model is your soundcard?
Viva La Vista!!! Hehe. Yeah I thought about the drivers but didn't have a chance last night. Will have a look today though cheers. Think I'm up to date (I'm fairly anal about stuff like that lately).

Its not strictly a soundcard, its the built in AI to my Novation Xio25. Not really ideal but does the job, and all runs through one usb cable so I know its connected properly (I like things simple).
Old 23rd February 2009 , 10:18 AM
Keeper o' the Keys!

If the little red bar in the transport panel is responding then Cubase is receiving MIDI from your controller. Your problem will be more to do with how you are routing the MIDI signal within Cubase. Here's a few trouble-shooting questions to follow:

Which plugin are you trying to trigger?
Is it set to the correct MIDI input (try setting it specifically to the correct one rather than "All")?
Is the plugin set to the same MIDI channel as your controller?
Does you plugin have a patch loaded?
Is the plugin's output audio correctly routed to a physical audio out?
Is the plugin's output volume up?
Is your master volume up in the Cubase mixer?
Old 23rd February 2009 , 10:32 AM
Uber Member

Thats what I meant, the little red bar is not moving. At all.
Old 23rd February 2009 , 10:37 AM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Aaaah, sorry, misread that.
Old 23rd February 2009 , 11:24 AM

To get the MIDI device working go to Device Setup>MIDI Port Setup and makes sure the MIDI device is there and active. Whilst there tick the box Use System timestamp......

Now go>File Preferences>MIDI (under General) make sure MIDI Thru Active is ticked.

Worth checking... Win Contrl pan'>Sounds and Audio Device Properties>Playback>mixer check synth slider is not down. Check you have Win Wavetable in the MIDI box, might not matter but good default state to be in.

If this gives folk the impression that Cubase (I have E4) is a pain in th *&^ you are right! I get on FAR better with Samplitude!

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 23rd February 2009 , 11:43 AM
Uber Member

Yeah, everything says Microsoft Wavetable Synth, which I am absolutely clueless about but its what its always said so I'm content to leave it that way hehe. Thanks for the advice, will have a gander when I can. May just buy an MPD32 and see if that fixes he problem
Old 23rd February 2009 , 01:35 PM
Rave Digga

no you dont want that ..you want it too be whatever your using if i have mine on wavetable i dont get any midi even if i use my usb keyboards i have to set it too whatever your using..change it too whatever your asio/midi drivers are using for me im using a emu 0404 card so i change the wavetable too emu .the wavetable synth is te sound driver that makes your beeps and clicks when your using windows you need to change that now thats why your not getting anything mate .
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 23rd February 2009 , 01:54 PM
Uber Member

This is what confuses me (I'll be honest, it isn't difficult) but my ASIO driver is set to 'Novation ASIO USB' something, whatever the AI in it shows up as and the midiport is set to wavetable (I think, I'm not looking at it now so am working off memory). I am basically illiterate at this sorta thing and am picking it up far slower than I should. Thanks though, will take my ill friend some soup, mock her for a while then settle down with a lager, a cigarette and Cubase and try and fathom this out hehe. Then, when its finally sorted I'll probably have lost the urge and the workflow and just go to bed a little de-stressed
Old 23rd February 2009 , 02:17 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

"Wavetable" is a built-in emulated ROMpler style synth within windows, based upon Roland GS/GM and similar in features to the EMU10k synth that used to be built in to Creative soundcards (thanks to the Wavetable synths built in support for the DLS file format which is itself similar to Creative/Emu's SoundFont format).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...bedded.5).aspx

The WAVE DRIVER is what is responsible for system sounds and is quite separate from the Wavetable synth.