DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Digital Audio Sequencers > Cubase
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Cubase Discuss Steinberg's popular DAS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2009 , 03:27 PM
Rave Digga

Default cubase 5-cubase studio 5 differences.

well steinberg have been telling massive lies over excactlly how much power is in cubase studio 5 in there advertising there making out cubase studio 5 has all the new plug ins but it doesnt all it contains is groove agent one and pitch correct !!

im disgusted at how steinberg has just added 2 new vsts too cubase studio 4.5 and banged on about all the new features and none of them are in cs5 ..see here for the feature list--

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products...etails100.html

no reverance/no loop mash/ no vintage compressor/ no new surround sound panner /no mod machine /no variaudio ...

what do you guys think about this..i for one im very very shocked that there advertising all the new features and show studio 5 in the same advertising but dont say that all new features are available only in cubase 5 ..i feel cheated
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 20th January 2009 , 05:50 PM
Furry Filter Phreak

It usually boils down to Full version = vaguely useful, Studio/lite/LE or whatever version = not useful due to to many randomly imposed limits.

Old 20th January 2009 , 07:37 PM
Rave Digga

i know that mate but steinberg are seriously taking the **** in what theyve actually gave studio 5 over studio 4.5 i thought at the very least theyd give us one or two of the synths they didnt give us in 4.5 like mystic ..there old synths now why keep them locked up in cubase 4..

and what made me mad was the way theyve advertised all cubase products contain variaudio when they dont they need to sort themselfs out after this.
even the ad on dv247 clearly shows variaudio in he advertisment for studio 5 and loop mangler..it even says on dv247s order page contains Beat Design and Loop Mangling ..when in fact it doesnt contain any loop mangling well not what most people are thinking there getting with this product.

check out he ad if you dont believe me ..

http://www.dv247.com/invt/61811/

also another thing is the price im not blaming dv247 to be honest i thik there the cheapest and by far the best music retailer aroound ..but steinbergs priced it up at 329.00 ..!!!!

thats the most expensive not full featured daw around ..cakewalk wipes the floor with cubase 5 for just how many vsts you get and some are the best around dimension is amazing and for the full version its still only 220 pounds.

im still in shock lol
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 21st January 2009 , 08:56 AM
Jeremy Lumsden

The information on the DV247 website will update this morning.

Your comments have been passed to Steinberg at the highest UK level.

Thanks for the input guys.

Best wishes,

Jeremy

p.s. we've also listed the differences [URL="http://www.dv247.com/news/Cubase%205%20Grace%20Period%20and%20Cubase%205%20UK%20Tour/132004"]here[/URL]
Last edited by Jeremy Lumsden; 21st January 2009 at 11:22 AM. . <
Old 21st January 2009 , 12:44 PM
Rave Digga

ive contacted steinberg too but they dont think there ads are misleaing at all they said all info is on there site ..i said yeah it is but you have to search for it and there using the same ad to advertise studio 5 thats why im pissed i wont get most of the plug ins ..they told me id better save up and buy cubase 5 then instead of studio 5 i explained i couldnt afford it they basically said tough tittys.

i can afford studio 5 upgrade but not cubase 5 well just not yet..my wife said shell buy me a upgrade from studio 5 to cubase 5 at xmas ..anyone any idea how much it is?
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 21st January 2009 , 02:36 PM
Son of 'Z'

Steinberg's pricing is quite odd.

For the cost of buying the app outright (500), you could also purchase Logic Studio 8 and Ableton 7 (with FREE upgrade to 8) for 15 more. Logic comes with 10 or so more effects and 8 more instruments, massive sample library etc..and live comes with the audio warp and crazy mangling options.

It gets even worse when you look at the LE version of Cubase. It costs around the same as buying Logic Studio 8 but only comes with 3 instruments and 40 plugs.

Now, for the upgrade policy. 415 is the amount, this therefore values any previous version of Cubase at 85. This is a bit wrong, when you consider how the competition works. It's completely the opposite.
1) Logic ask for 120 -ish to upgrade from any full version of 5,6 & 7.
2) Protools ask for 92 for the upgrade to PT8.

These companies seem to value their customers more, by giving them reasonable options to update their original investment. I know Logic used to be significantly more expensive, but we're talking about here and now. And right at this moment in time, Steinberg is giving a very clear indication that it doesn't care about the customers it still has or the ones it lost when previous Cubases didn't match up to the competition.

And what has annoyed me most is the fact that they have removed the student upgrade paths. Just how are we s'posed to train and use their new systems if we can't afford it. Meanwhile...Apple are selling Logic Studio (new, not upgrades) to students for 120. Steinberg are going to miss a lot of business in future because of Apple dealing colleges and students onto their software.
EdRyan is offline Offline
Last edited by EdRyan; 21st January 2009 at 02:41 PM. . <
Old 21st January 2009 , 02:40 PM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRyan View Post
For the cost of buying the app outright (500), you could also purchase Logic Studio 8 and Ableton 7 (with FREE upgrade to 8) for 15 more. Logic comes with 10 or so more effects and 8 more instruments, massive sample library etc..and live comes with racks and racks of cool and odd options.
Just so you know you only get a free Live 7 to 8 upgrade if you buy the Suite. If you're talking about Live as a standalone app, if you were to buy Live 7 today it will still cost around 50 to get 8 when it's released in a month or two.

However, you do get Operator and Drum Machines for free right now as well, which is a pretty good deal.

Just clarifying your numbers, I have nothing to add about Steinberg, however it could be said based on this post that Ableton's pricing is all rather confusing as well. Actually, come to think of it, I read something about that recently - read more here.
whitecat is offline Offline
Old 21st January 2009 , 02:45 PM
Son of 'Z'

I thought that about Live after I wrote it actually.

Either way, the upgrade fee of 50 is still a lot more reasonable then the 415 being asked for Cubase.
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 21st January 2009 , 02:47 PM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRyan View Post
I thought that about Live after I wrote it actually.

Either way, the upgrade fee of 50 is still a lot more reasonable then the 415 being asked for Cubase.
Although the more correct comparison is to the amnesty update, because that's essentially what the 50 is. If you bought Live 7 before this year, the fee is going to be higher (probably closer to 100.)

That's still cheaper though than the Cubase amnesty update, isn't it?
Old 21st January 2009 , 02:48 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

... and lets be careful about comparing apples and oranges. Using Logic as a comparison a slighlty unbalanced one as Logic only has to support one OS, i.e. the one its maker owns, therefore development costs are going to be much cheaper... hence the drop in the cost of Logic when it went Mac only when Apple bought it.

It's also difficult to comnpare pricing right now given how turbulent currency exchanges are... bare in mind that none of the DAWs being discussed and compared are made in the UK, hence any pricing quoted in GBP is entirely subject to currency exchange fluctuations from the country of manufacture.
Old 21st January 2009 , 02:52 PM
Sound Guru

I checked...

Boxed Ableton Live 8 upgrades for all users who didn't buy since the promotion period started (NAMM) is going to be 179 (but probably a bit less at dealers.) If you're happy buying a download update only directly from Ableton it's 149.

It is discounted heavily if you buy 7 now - the amnesty download upgrade will be only 49 - plus you get those two instruments for free - so Ableton are clearly courting new users in this case!
Old 21st January 2009 , 02:54 PM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boulden View Post
... and lets be careful about comparing apples and oranges. Using Logic as a comparison a slighlty unbalanced one as Logic only has to support one OS, i.e. the one its maker owns, therefore development costs are going to be much cheaper... hence the drop in the cost of Logic when it went Mac only when Apple bought it.
Although it took a couple versions for it to drop to the silly price it is now... I certainly didn't jump in until it was so cheap I just couldn't not.

The comparison does work if you're on a Mac because all of these options are open to you, until you start talking Sonar and Samplitude upgrades..

Quote:
It's also difficult to comnpare pricing right now given how turbulent currency exchanges are... bare in mind that none of the DAWs being discussed and compared are made in the UK, hence any pricing quoted in GBP is entirely subject to currency exchange fluctuations from the country of manufacture.
Indeed, and we may yet see price rises or falls once the product actually hits the shelves if it's going to be a little while before it shows on these shores...
Old 21st January 2009 , 03:04 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
The comparison does work if you're on a Mac because all of these options are open to you, until you start talking Sonar and Samplitude upgrades..
Indeed it does... music applications are one of the few software areas where people automatically assume you have a Mac.

Now just to bring a bit of sanity to all this, it still astonishes me how much people (not just on here... I mean everyone) gripe about having to pay and how much they have to pay for upgrades and mention how they don't get rewarded for loyalty, and "I've been using it for x years" etc.

How much of a discount do Intel or AMD give you when you upgrade to their latest processor? What's the currently registered user's upgrade price on nVidia or ATI graphics cards? Does your local Ford dealer sell you the latest model for about 1/3 the retail price *AND* let you keep the old one to drive around from time to time?
Old 21st January 2009 , 03:11 PM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boulden View Post
Indeed it does... music applications are one of the few software areas where people automatically assume you have a Mac.

Now just to bring a bit of sanity to all this, it still astonishes me how much people (not just on here... I mean everyone) gripe about having to pay and how much they have to pay for upgrades and mention how they don't get rewarded for loyalty, and "I've been using it for x years" etc.

How much of a discount do Intel or AMD give you when you upgrade to their latest processor? What's the currently registered user's upgrade price on nVidia or ATI graphics cards? Does your local Ford dealer sell you the latest model for about 1/3 the retail price *AND* let you keep the old one to drive around from time to time?
Ah, but there is a fly in said ointment.

You are making comparisons to products which people own.

Software developers, for years, have been trying to insist that we never own their products, we simply have a license to use them.

One could liken software ownership then not to owning a Ford, but to leasing one. And in fact, when said lease runs out, I bring back the car to the dealership, and get a brand-new-shiny fresh one after negotiating a payment.

In most cases you are not going to use the old versions of the software anymore when you get new ones, it's like returning the car for a new one.

So really, the developers have brought this mode of thinking upon themselves, and thus I can completely understand why users will get snippy if they feel they're being treated unfairly.
Old 21st January 2009 , 04:05 PM
Forum Idol

oh geez Daves harping on about "Proper Computers" again, everybody just smile and knod your head

you know there is only 1 viable solution Dave, boycott "cubasa the Braunschweiger" and get logic and yes that means a mac Dave you will come over to us sooner or later
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline