DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Digital Audio Sequencers > Cubase
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Cubase Discuss Steinberg's popular DAS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2009 , 11:36 AM

Depends on where your buying them from. DV247 is great on selection and price.

If you think music software is expensive, then your looking in the wrong place and your probably in the wrong business.

DONT FORGET: The Music Business is an Expensive, High-End Business.
So be prepared to dish out some cash, especially if you want a Quality Finsh and Tools. This is what the Music Industry demands.

However if Music is more of a hobby to you, then i undertand about the price.

But Cubase, Pro-tools, Logic and even Ableton are industry DAWs and they all know it. Thats why LE, Express, Studio versions would be better for you.

DV247 can always give you a deal. Give em a buz!
Kris Masters is offline Offline
Old 22nd January 2009 , 11:40 AM
Forum Idol

Sureno exits the building
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 22nd January 2009 , 11:44 AM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Masters View Post
Depends on where your buying them from.
Huh?

If you're talking about plug-ins, no, it does not depend where you're buying from. If I buy a Waves bundle, to use an example you are fond of, I get RTAS and VST capability in the same license.

So VST will never be more expensive than RTAS in that regard.

One company might sell that same Waves bundle for more than another, but then I just buy the cheapest and I get both. It's not a valid argument for one DAW being "better" than another.
whitecat is offline Offline
Old 22nd January 2009 , 12:33 PM
Rave Digga

thanks for the reply a steinberger..but what youve not explained on here which got me a little p****d when i looked on your offical site is if i buy studio 5 and try and upgrade it later to cubase 5 its the same price as if id kept studio 4 and upgraded that to cubase 5..surely you can agree that doesnt seem fair..id really love to buy cubase 5 but my finances cant stretch too it.
and i only bought studio 4 4 days before the grace period started i got a message which said sorry but were not making an exception if you want it pay full price ..i was 4 DAYS OUT !!not 4 weeks/4 months /4 years but 4DAYS..as you can imagine im not happy about this ..but ill try and find a way of getting studio 5 now my wife said shed buy me the upgrade to cubase 5 for xmas prsent but when i saw it would cost over 200 pounds i was gobsmacked..how on earth can you charge the same ammount as if d stayed with studio 4..a more realistic figure would be about 120 pounds that way the upgrade to studio 5 then to cubase 5 works out roughlly the same ..im sure you cant deny this is a much fairer upgrade from studio 5 than too pay over 200 pounds .
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 23rd January 2009 , 10:01 AM

hey waxxy,
sorry to hear you missed out on the grace period update promo. as you can imagine, upgrades of this sort always have to be date restricted and, unfortunately, you do fall outside of this period. with stock shipping at the end of jan/early feb, we have left a wide time period to qualify for this upgrade (two months) but we do need to adhere to this time restriction.
as regards your potential upgrade path, as you are a studio 4 user, i would strongly recommend taking the plunge to version 5. this is a major release and, for the 207 (SRP inc VAT) price of the upgrade, you have to consider that you're updating to the latest version and upgrading to the top level product in the family with a feature set unavailable at a core level within alternative DAWs.
you're best bet - get along to the tour dates and you'll see why Studio 4 to Cubase 5 is a great investment!
see you there...
a uk steinberger is offline Offline
Old 23rd January 2009 , 05:36 PM
Rave Digga

were is it 207 pounds ?i saw it for 229 on the steinberg website..

i was hoping to just buy studio 5 and upgrade t cubase 5 in a couple of months time but the price from studio 5 to cubase 5 is exactlly the same as if i uograde from studio 4 which isnt really fair.

i wanna clear a few things up just in case i do get cubase 5--

1/can i put the liscence on a seperate doongle so i can still keep cubase 4.5.ive read that once cubase 5 is installed it wont let you use studio 4.5.i stil want to use studio 4.5 because its pretty stable now and i wanna still use it on my laptop and my other pc.id hate to know i paid lots for it just before xmas and once i install cubase 5 its of no use..id like to transfer studio 4.5 to another dongle and have hypersonic 2 and cubase 5 on another dongle so i can swap them about .

2/can i install cubase 5 on various pcs in my house such as a laptop and use one dongle to move when i need to use it.

3/is direct x plug ins working in cubase 5?

4/when is cubase 5 out ?
waxxy is offline Offline
Last edited by waxxy; 23rd January 2009 at 05:39 PM. . <
Old 23rd January 2009 , 08:15 PM

if you're looking for the upgrade pricing, i'm sure this forum's hosts would be delighted to help you out

as for the upgrade pricing being the same from Studio 4 and Studio 5, this is so that we offer Studio 4 users a great deal upgrading to (the full) Cubase 5!

Of course, if you already have Studio 4 and then want to buy an additional full-version Studio 5 and upgrade to Cubase 5 that wouldn't be the most economical and, to be honest, we wouldn't factor that kind of upgrade route in to the equation. Why not just upgrade your Studio 4?

To answer your questions...

1. You will need to upgrade to your existing Steinberg key. I've been using '5' for some time now and am finding that the software is extremely reliable so I don't think you should have any concerns there.
2. You can install C5 on as many machines as you like. The software will only work on the system where the Steinberg key is plugged in. I have my software installed on three mac systems at home and just plug in my dongle in where i need it. "Take two macs into the shower?..."
3. Nope. Support was dropped at version 4 and we concentrated our efforts on CPU-saving VST3 technology.
4. We expect to be shipping at the end of Jan, start of Feb. Demand is high so I'd pre-order yours now!
a uk steinberger is offline Offline
Old 24th January 2009 , 01:10 PM
Rave Digga

thanks steinberger you cleared a few things up for me and thats helped me out alot i just have one more question.

if i buy studio 5 upgrade or cubase 5 upgrade can i keep there authorisation codes and security code on a seperate dongle?id like to do this just in case anything ever happened to my dongle if it got lost or broke id lose a lot of mony but if both keys were n seperate dongles if one got broke at least id have another one so at least one program would be ok..i dont like the idea of my dongle just keep getting updated and not having any kind of roll back or recall feature id just like to keep everything seperate ..ive got a baby and he keeps mooching in my studio and im scared the little bugger would think the dongles a toy .

i was told it was possible id just have to remove my exsiting dongle and insert a new one before i installed any update to cubase and it can be kept seperate and will remain seperate until i transfer them to one dongle ..only downside i was told was the fact id have to swap dongles over everytime i wanna use either daw but thats ok.
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 24th January 2009 , 03:51 PM
Son of 'Z'

Quote:
Originally Posted by a uk steinberger View Post
3. Nope. Support was dropped at version 4 and we concentrated our efforts on CPU-saving VST3 technology.
Amen. Direct X apps are a pain in the bloody backside from what I've seen. I'm writing a standlone one this term, and I'm not looking forward to it. The tutor has warned us already it makes no sense when compared to writing a VST.
EdRyan is offline Offline