DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Digital Audio Sequencers > Cubase
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Cubase Discuss Steinberg's popular DAS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2009 , 04:15 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
Ah, but there is a fly in said ointment.

You are making comparisons to products which people own.

Software developers, for years, have been trying to insist that we never own their products, we simply have a license to use them.

One could liken software ownership then not to owning a Ford, but to leasing one. And in fact, when said lease runs out, I bring back the car to the dealership, and get a brand-new-shiny fresh one after negotiating a payment.

In most cases you are not going to use the old versions of the software anymore when you get new ones, it's like returning the car for a new one.

So really, the developers have brought this mode of thinking upon themselves, and thus I can completely understand why users will get snippy if they feel they're being treated unfairly.

Fair point, well made. I had actually overlooked that angle.
Old 21st January 2009 , 04:16 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
you know there is only 1 viable solution Dave, boycott "cubasa the Braunschweiger" and get logic and yes that means a mac Dave you will come over to us sooner or later
Heh heh... won't be happening anytime soon, I'm afraid
Old 21st January 2009 , 04:59 PM
Rave Digga

dave can you tell me if this is true...a guy on the steinberg site told me if i upgrade my cubase studio 4.5 too studio 5 then i wont be able to use studio 4.5 again..im hoping this is wrong because i have studio 4 installed on two seperate computers in my house so my nephew can come over and do some tracks for his homework assignments..no id like to keep one computer with studio 4.5 because lets face facts steinberg products are dodgy as hell the first few months until they start releasing the patches.i dont wanna put studio 5 on two systems because if it is buggy then i could lose songs and my nephew could lose asssignments for school.
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 21st January 2009 , 05:17 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

You should have no problems still running your v4.5. At version CS4, you are still licensed to run any of the SL versions, so I see no reason why CS5 wouldn't allow you to run CS4 and SL1/2/3. I have found a FAQ on Steinberg Users.com (a site run by KeyFax who are the US distributors for Steinberg) that confirms this. Here's the relevant extract:

Quote:
You can keep your older version on your machine or remove it as you see fit. The license on your dongle will be overwritten with the new license, for instance, when you upgrade from SX 3 to Cubase 4, the SX 3 license becomes a Cubase 4 license. Cubase 4 licenses will run Cubase 4 and any version of SX, and Cubase Studio 4 licenses will run Studio 4 and any version of SL.
Old 21st January 2009 , 05:18 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

I believe the only upgrade that would stop you running previous versions is if you crossgraded/upgraded direct to the full-blown Cubase 5.
Old 21st January 2009 , 05:32 PM
Son of 'Z'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boulden View Post
You should have no problems still running your v4.5. At version CS4, you are still licensed to run any of the SL versions, so I see no reason why CS5 wouldn't allow you to run CS4 and SL1/2/3. I have found a FAQ on Steinberg Users.com (a site run by KeyFax who are the US distributors for Steinberg) that confirms this. Here's the relevant extract:
What's the point in running the older version.
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 21st January 2009 , 05:32 PM
Rave Digga

thanks dave your a star ive just emailed my mate in america and hes told me exactlly what you said he told me not too worry .the guy who told me the first info didnt know jack about the upgrade procedure.

steinberg have now said there not putting demo dvds of the orchstra plugin in studio 5 boxs the demo is only for cubase 5 users..but in the inital press statements they said every cubase/studio 5 box would contain the demo i cant understand why theyve changed there minds i know lots of studio 5 users would have bought it i know if i liked it i would have bought it..there buisness sence makes no sence.

ive just been told also by steinberg on there forums that to upgrade from studio 5 to cubase 5 is the same price as if id upgraded from le3 !! ive told them i didnt think was fair as le3 is nearly 10 years old and studio 5 isnt even out yet ..they didnt reply they just deletead my post..way to go steinberg good customer relations
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 21st January 2009 , 05:35 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRyan View Post
What's the point in running the older version.
stability issues i think, in case too many issues with latest version you can always use the older version, better the devil you know etc
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 21st January 2009 , 05:58 PM
Rave Digga

thats excatlly my point sureno id like to still have studio 4.5 as a back up its very stable now and very cpu friendly im scared ill install studio 5 and t will crash loads like all previous steinbeg software..there well known for using early buyers as unpaid beta testers.

all the stores ive spoke to are in shock at how fast cubase 5 is coming out nearly all thought it would be mid to late 2009 before any news on it bt for them to spring it out too buy next week thats shocked loads and scared many..i know lots of the steinberg forums are saying there buying it but not installing it until they get feedback its ok and safe they dont trust it ..im gonna do the samething get it (well its too late to cancel now) but not install it until i hear good reports about it .
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 22nd January 2009 , 12:54 AM

Hi All,

I've been reading this post with interest and thought i'd try to help out a little.

Firstly, you are correct. There were a few errors on DVs description of Cubase Studio 5 so many thanks for pointing this out and thanks to DV for fixing the problem straight away.

As we have changed our upgrade structure, I thought it best to explain what's happening with these. As most of you seem to be operating current versions, I'll just deal with the main ones.

If you're updating from Studio 4.x to Studio 5, this will cost 107 (down in price compared to the previous SL3 > Studio 4 update). Upgrading from Studio 4.x to Cubase 5 will cost you 207 and updating Cubase 4.x to 5 is 166. These prices are SRP inc VAT. Anyone who purhased Cubase 4 or Cubase Studio 4 from 01 December will qualify for a Grace Period Upgrade price - we'll be handling this from Hamburg (rather than through your dealer) and full details are on the website.

I noticed that there were a couple of concerns regarding what Studio 5 is all about? 'Mid-range' products can be a bit tricky as we have to cater for all-user's requirements but, by nature of the beast, we can't offer the full feature set of the flagship product. In creating Studio 5, the developers have covered many bases...
Groove Agent One and Beat Designer combined make Studio 5 the coolest beat creation DAW around. As GA One is a core part of the program, it's all about integration and you really do need to check this out in the flesh. Anyone fancy dragging a track from iTunes onto an audiotrack, auto-splicing it, dragging the part to GA One's pad area so that each splice appears on it's own pad so that you can create your own groove in Beat Designer? Thought so. Very cool indeed!
For those of you with complex mixes, the automation system has been overhauled (Nuendo-stylee). Vocal and instrument tracks can be fixed up with the new Pitch Correction insert.
For our huge education user-base and anyone involved in scoring, VST expression is a breakthrough idea. In short, the score editor now communicates with your instruments so that any articulations added to the score will be played exactly as you intend.
The list goes on but worth mentioning is the huge amount of 'nice touches' - Cubase Studio 5 now seriously improves productivity. Now might be a great time to use the word 'workflow'.

All that said, at 207 for "Cubase 5 Upgrade One", many users have already opted to order their upgrade for Studio 4 to Cubase 5. The new functionality is incredible and the instrument suite stunning. Especially when you consider adding just a fraction of the features via third-party products would cost so much more and the integration just wouldn't be anywhere near as slick. And then there's Loop Mash - totally revolutionary!

Now, I'll be visiting the DV stores over the next few weeks so, if anyone wants to see a preview of '5', let your local branch know and I'm sure they'll give you a heads up when I'm due around. Failing that - let's hope you'll be at one of the tour dates in March.
a uk steinberger is offline Offline
Old 22nd January 2009 , 10:16 AM
Administrator

bump on the above post from Steinberg UK which sat in the 'to be moderated/approved' stack this morning..
Old 22nd January 2009 , 10:53 AM
Forum Idol

is automation actually from Nuendo or have similar aspects just been taken from Nuendo? i hear people raving about this procedure but not fully up to speed on how it works, i noticed this post being written late last night wonder where it went
Old 22nd January 2009 , 11:01 AM

The price for cubase 5 (Complete) is actually quite reasonable compared to Logic 7/8 and Cubase 4.

We are now starting to see in-depth Pitch Correction Tools similar to auto-tune and WAY WAY MORE instruments packed with the DAWs, and they are very good for todays producers, composers and sound.

DONT FORGET - VST Format plugins are cheaper (or free) compared to Audio Unit and especially RTAS (Pro Tools) formats, so your already saving! and im talking high-end plug-ins! (WAVES, East West QUANTUM LEAP, Spectrasonics, Universal Audio, ect).

You'll be glad you bought Cubase 5, i did and i lost 13 Stones, thanks Steinberg!!
Kris Masters is offline Offline
Old 22nd January 2009 , 11:04 AM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Masters View Post
DONT FORGET - VST Format plugins are cheaper (or free) compared to Audio Unit and especially RTAS (Pro Tools) formats, so your already saving! and im talking high-end plug-ins! (WAVES, East West QUANTUM LEAP, Spectrasonics, Universal Audio, ect).
In all examples listed you get both VST and RTAS formats with purchase, so the VSTs are most definitely not cheaper.
whitecat is offline Offline
Old 22nd January 2009 , 11:05 AM
Forum Idol

interesting argument there KM, cant agree with it though but hey, such is life