DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 5th December 2008 , 01:09 PM

Exclamation Standard GM sounds on Cubase 4

Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone knew whether Cubase 4 had any "standard" GM sounds included?

This probably sounds like a silly question, but 10 years ago I bought a Yamaha QY700 sequencer (and have sworn by it ever since) - recently I made the leap to PC based sequencing (Cubase 4) and can only seem to locate the highly synthesised sounds of Prologue, Mystic etc and Halion One. Where are all the "standard" sounds that were commonplace 10 years ago - you know the ones I mean: pianos/harpsichords/clavis/tuned percussion/organs/flutes/clarinets/bassoons/french horns etc etc.
In fact under the section "Woodwind", there is just a flute and a couple of saxes...where are my clarinets and piccolos and oboes???

And if these sounds don't exist (!!!) is there any way of loading them into Cubase 4?

ANY help would be appreciated!!!

Cheers

WW
winniewoolley is offline Offline
Old 5th December 2008 , 01:49 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniewoolley View Post
Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone knew whether Cubase 4 had any "standard" GM sounds included?

This probably sounds like a silly question, but 10 years ago I bought a Yamaha QY700 sequencer (and have sworn by it ever since) - recently I made the leap to PC based sequencing (Cubase 4) and can only seem to locate the highly synthesised sounds of Prologue, Mystic etc and Halion One. Where are all the "standard" sounds that were commonplace 10 years ago - you know the ones I mean: pianos/harpsichords/clavis/tuned percussion/organs/flutes/clarinets/bassoons/french horns etc etc.
In fact under the section "Woodwind", there is just a flute and a couple of saxes...where are my clarinets and piccolos and oboes???

And if these sounds don't exist (!!!) is there any way of loading them into Cubase 4?

ANY help would be appreciated!!!

Cheers

WW
Hopefully some of the Cubasers on the forum will chime in (Sonar here) but doesn't Halion one have at least some GM sounds?

Monarch is offline Offline
Old 5th December 2008 , 02:42 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Yes, C4 includes a GM soundset in the included HalionOne VSTi:

Quote:
MIDI File Playback using HALionOne

Cubase 4 and Cubase Studio 4 owners have access to hundreds of great-sounding instruments using HALionOne, which is delivered with sample-content taken from Yamaha’s award-winning Motif synthesizers. This sound library also includes a complete General-MIDI Sound-Set. With Cubase 4.1, Standard MIDI Files can be imported and played directly using the HALionOne GM Sound-Set. With the new “Import To Instrument Tracks” preference enabled, dragging a MIDI File into Cubase will automatically set up instrument tracks with HALionOne and select the correct GM sound
Plus there are various options to add GM capable VSTi's like NI's Bandstand (http://www.dv247.com/invt/29846/) or IK Multimedia's OmniSynth Expansion Tank (still available in some shops) or get hold of a freeware SoundFont player and use one of the many freeware GM compatible SoundFonts knocking around the web.
Old 5th December 2008 , 03:45 PM
Forum Scribe

Cheers Dave...I thought Halion One should at least have some sort of selection of GM sounds.

Monarch is offline Offline
Old 5th December 2008 , 07:26 PM
Rave Digga

im amazed anyone can still listen to gm sounds..i cant stand the way they sound

if you do want them id buy the sound canvas which is very very cheap at dv247 heres the link--

http://www.dv247.com/invt/59456/

you get the gm sounds your looking for plus more besides heres a link to the roland website it explains more about it http://www.edirol.net/products/en/VSC-MP1/index.html
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 6th December 2008 , 12:37 AM
Keeper o' the Keys!

GM sounds don't necessarily have to sound bad, it's just that the GM patch mapping is most often seen on cheap home keyboards and budget synths and workstations.... you could, to all intents and purposes, create a huge library of high quality sounds in Kontakt (or some similar sample player) and set up a huge multi-patch that conforms to the GM patch map. Indeed, NI's Bandstand has gone a certain way down that route. I use a copy of Bandstand for auditioning MIDI files if I need to learn complicated songs with my covers band or sometimes to remix commercial MIDI files for fun and have also used it along with Kontakt to spruce up MIDI files for a friend who used the standard MIDI tracks to sing to in social clubs. As it happens, even my Korg M3-88 has a GM patch set!

It's not the GM part that's bad, just the limited choice of sounds and the quality of the gear that most often supports the GM standard.