DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Digital Audio Sequencers > Cubase
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Cubase Discuss Steinberg's popular DAS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2009 , 07:25 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
Surely it is not beyond the wit of Steinberg/syncrosft to code TWO dongles, one to use/loose/get nicked and one to keep in a safe place as insurance and use whilst subjecting yourself to the 3rd degree to get another?
But then you pretty much have potential for ripping off and Piracy. Yarrrr!
Old 5th January 2009 , 09:03 PM

"But then you pretty much have potential for ripping off and Piracy. Yarrrr!"

But Wilty you did not read the first part!

Code two dongles but make one machine specific, the one you salt away.

Yes the system is open to a certain amount of abuse but if the dongles were tied to a persons' ID that would deter them somewhat. In any event I think we have established that S needs to get a bit more customer friendly and loose the grip on absolute power (and we all know what that does!).

Cubase gets cracked to buggery anyway, why should us good guys be incommoded by that.
Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 6th January 2009 , 07:23 AM
Uber Member

But then if you had the 2 and one got nicked/found/whatever and someone started using your licence, or worse-used your licence to crack the programme, you'd have a hard time convincing Steinberg you aren't a Pirate Mastermind (Yarrr! Worst case) or in the least have to get Steinberg to disolve that licence and create a new one for you (again with the wait and probably cost).
I do agree that something more customer friendly, but keeping a licence you can move around machines, that is secure and easy that is practical for both dev and user is going to be difficult. I don't think I can add anything that won't be repeating something already said, but I think if Steinberg (and other devs) worked on the customer service side and streamlined themelves better there it wouldn't be much of an issue in the first place.

And they were kinda helpful if you wanna move about-I got a spiffing Lanyard thing with my copy of Cubase4.....
Last edited by Wilty; 6th January 2009 at 07:37 AM. . <
Old 21st January 2009 , 11:24 PM
Son of 'Z'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
"But then you pretty much have potential for ripping off and Piracy. Yarrrr!"

But Wilty you did not read the first part!

Code two dongles but make one machine specific, the one you salt away.

Yes the system is open to a certain amount of abuse but if the dongles were tied to a persons' ID that would deter them somewhat. In any event I think we have established that S needs to get a bit more customer friendly and loose the grip on absolute power (and we all know what that does!).

Cubase gets cracked to buggery anyway, why should us good guys be incommoded by that.
Dave.
They stopped cracking at Sx3. I remember reading a hacker's blog saying that they had struggled with it, and that they knew version 4 was going to be impossible.
What went on with C4 was similar but different. It wasn't a crack as such !
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 22nd January 2009 , 02:51 PM
Rave Digga

i was chatting to a old hacker mate years ago and he said h20 and air had cracked it because it used roughflly the same security encrption as sx3.but steinberg now pay them not to release them i have seen working cracked cubase 4 in a studio in jakarta .over there 99 percent run cracked software because its to expensive to buy orginal stuff. cubase 4 costs what most earn in a year.so the only way they can record music is to use cracked software .theyve got some of the most talented musicians ive ever met
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 22nd January 2009 , 02:57 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxxy View Post
steinberg now pay them not to release them i have seen working cracked cubase 4 in a studio in jakarta
wow i can honestly say i never thought of that, damn that would make a lot of sense, interesting concept. all a bit cloak and dagger imo but hey what works i suppose...

do you think another possibility is that they have kidnapped those crackers and torturing them in a basement

may i ask how did you hear this mate?
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 22nd January 2009 , 05:28 PM
Rave Digga

i goto indonesia alot and they have lots of stores that sell games / software for pennys..in one of the main app stores i know a few people i always chat with about music and new apps..well some of the guys in there are amazing with computers and they can crack anything or get you anything thats cracked they had stuff which wasnt out in the west its amazing what they have in there.and they know ive used cubase for many many years as the studios i used to record in there main daw was at the time cubase.now in asia the one they all loved was sonar they hated logic because apple macvs are just stupidly over priced in indonesia they cost more than a car does !!

well we were all sat round drinking tea and chatting about new software coming out and at the time there was lots of internet chat about how team h20 had finally cracked it with the help of team air and i was chatting about this and they were all laughing saying theyd chatted to some of the guys involved in h20 and there getting lots of money now not too release it on torrent or news groups steinberg were pissed off theyd lost loads off money with cubase sx3 and knew when cubase 4 came out it would hit them harder because cubase 4 was a much better app but they said te full intention behind team h20 wasnt really too rob any company off money there sole intention behind it was for software houses too give them money too point out securit flaws in there programming and when the software houses refused to give them jobs thats why they put the stuff out for free on the net but that wont happen with cubase 5 because the best crackers were h20 and air and theyve agreed now no steinberg products will be cracked and made public they may crack and keep to themselfs but not make it known outside there circle of friends..

h20 are the most famous crackers but nothing is known about who or were they are .

in indonesia though its a real shame i chat to the musicians over there and there megatalented /creative/ enthusiastic people but the companys in the west have no support or intrest over there which is a great shame..alot of western goods are made there but most indonesians couldnt afford them so thats why most of them can only use pirate games or pirate software theyd rather use orginal stuff but simply cant afford it.for the basic software programme such as v-station theyd have to save up for months too buy it because the prices the companys charge over there are western prices ..

my wife had a real good job over there as a global merchandiser for calvin kliens and disney and she worked 6 days a week 12 hour days 9 am - 9pm then it took her 2 hours too get home each day and for all that hard work she used to get 200 pounds a month !!and her job was one of the high paid jobs the equivalent to that here would be about 1500 pounds

sure the cost of living over there is cheap for food and drink but too buy western goods its frightening how much they think the indonesian people have to spare ..just because most of us can buy a game or app each month the western companys think they can afford too pay 60 pounds for a ps3 game or 500 pounds for cubase how can they so instead they have to buy hooky games at 10 pence each and omnisphere for 1 pound
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 22nd January 2009 , 06:08 PM
Forum Idol

very very interesting read waxxy, it reminded me when i spent some time out in Dubai, although Dubai is filthy rich the heart is by Pakistani folk i believe but owned by shakes. the way of life was so simple, i stayed in the 5 star and slummed it, i loved slumming it it was an experience il never forget. sorry to go so off topic but it just shows what a different way of life we have here and it makes you realise at what an advantage we are to have so many opportunities presented to us and we even become complacent over it.

back on track though i have to laugh at h2o's philosophies a little because it's almost like a bit of a protection racquet, pay us to protect you or we release your gear. if it only effected the fat cats id understand but it doesnt so i feel it can be a little unfair as SB probably got rid of staff way down the ladder when they ran into the first crack. it is a very touchy subject at that.
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline