DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Digital Audio Sequencers > Cubase
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Cubase Discuss Steinberg's popular DAS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th December 2008 , 09:10 PM

Hmm?

I am only a minnow in this pond but I have an idea, please feel free to shoot holes in it!

Got your legit software and you install and ask for an activation code (I have Sam8se).

Instead of one code they give you two. Number 1, permanent and 2, short term, say 10-14days.

'Puter crashes, format, install, 1 day, even less hair, but you CAN still run the app and meantime you put in for another set of codes and Whoever can take their own sweet time (they always do!) checking your bona fides.

Naturally the system is open to a certain amount of abuse. You could run the app on 2 machines, for a time, but I think the user has always had the ***t end of the stick. He has to wait and prove himself out just because the companies won't accept a small risk.

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 4th December 2008 , 10:02 PM
Hell-Rider

The thing that gets me about the dongle, i know why they do which isnt my gripe, is the fact you can only have 1. I have both cubase 2 and 4 and have it on 3 machines, 2 of which i use regularly. Problem is with the dongle hanging out the back of the machine is at some point its gonna get trashed (which mine has, but its still going like a trooper) or if im out with my laptop im gonna leave it in the back of the tower and forget it, then im unable to record. Ideally i wanna put the dongle in the main machine to avoid damage and have one for the laptop but steinberg dont allow this. NI allow you 3 installs on 3 machines and then it locks you out and you cant get an activation code until you kill one of the installs, this would be a much better idea IMO.
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 4th December 2008 , 10:27 PM

JAYDMF

Now I know this does not help with the mobile situation but if the fixed machines are networked you can usea prog' called usboverethernet (if mem' serves) which allows you to "virtually move" the dongle.

Thus it can be safely ensconced in one pc.

Or..Why can't it go like the roadfund licence? You pay once a year, go on a data base and if you miss by 1 day,Steinberg come round and smash up your computer!

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 5th December 2008 , 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
Instead of one code they give you two. Number 1, permanent and 2, short term, say 10-14days.
This is a great idea and similar to one I’ve been talking about for a while. Your idea is simple and sounds cheap to implement – exactly what a developer would want.

The real fly in the ointment is that a system such as this already exists with the current Syncrosoft dongle. You can have “limited start” licences on your dongle. So why can’t Steinberg allow all Cubase users a dongle with, say, 100 starts that can be kept as spare. If your main dongle is broken you can continue working without stopping and the 100 starts give Steinberg (Arbiter) a chance to sort you out quickly. It’s not rocket science.

It is Steinberg’s single refusal to consider any of these ideas that puts them down as a company (for me).

My original idea was here:

Dongles... Have your say!

(when I say original, I may not have been the first person to come up with this idea, but I haven’t yet seen anybody else talk about it!)
tyronehowe is offline Offline
Old 6th December 2008 , 10:56 AM

Hy Tyrone,

Well I was really only talking about challenge and response security systems. As an electronics tekky I am always sus' of putting my £££'s in the hands of hardware!

I really cannot see why there should be so much hassle? I mean if the companies had your post code, DOB and an agreed password (prefferably not longer that the number of electrons in a nearby star) they should be able to help you get working pdq with minimal risk to themselves and if they ARE suspicious they could give a temporary activation again whilst they checked things out.

All this assumes of course that they have OUR best interest at heart and are not uncaring, greedy, lazy illegitimates!

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 6th December 2008 , 11:03 AM
Forum Idol

Nicely put dave
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 6th December 2008 , 12:03 PM
Furry Filter Phreak

Quote:
All this assumes of course that they have OUR best interest at heart and are not uncaring, greedy, lazy illegitimates!
Were all evil pirates intent on selliing millions of illegal copies until proven beyond any conceivable doubt otherwise
Khazul is offline Offline
Old 6th December 2008 , 01:22 PM

logic maybe the way to go, hit them where it hurts , in their pockets, they are corporations now not just some goofey teens knocking up software like bill gates and co straight out of school, they have shareholders etc. when they see nobody wants their crap they'll all be down the dole office

i just want stuff that works as a consumer, it took me about 2mts to get my iloc running for protools due to the space time continuim or summit
bluebearddub is offline Offline
Old 6th December 2008 , 01:32 PM

Trouble is Blue'

They are sneaky as well uncaring,disintersted.....

When you first install, everything generally goes tickkertyboo (and of course you are soooo careful).

When something breaks or maybe you want to move the software to a genuinely new, better computer THAT'S when the excrement hits the impeller and you email frantically to get help!

Oh yes! Once they got your money they don't give a flyingFFF..FOX about messing you about.

Dave.
PS. I have dealt with FREEBIE software sites with more "customer savvy" than the big boys!
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 8th December 2008 , 02:10 PM

Quote:
I really cannot see why there should be so much hassle?
Exactly – me neither!

Quote:

Dave.
Ah well there you have put your finger on it, I think. All of the anti-piracy systems are there to help the developers. It doesn’t seem to matter if the legitimate users have problems.

I’d just like a fair system – one where it stops the piracy (that's good because software prices can then come down, as if), and one that protects the customer’s investment; especially in case of a failure.
Old 8th December 2008 , 02:39 PM

Well, anyhow I've installed Cubase Essential4.

Looks good, shame we've lost the drums (I think!) but what Ba*&^%$aching job to setup!

I KNOW I don't have to have the dongle in place to install so WHY go an about Syncrosoft and all that swaddling? Why can't it simply install,then when you restart, ask for the dongle THEN the activation code (took me a good 5mins to get there!!), job would be a good one.

However the main purpose is now served, my Tranzport works in Cubase at last.

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 8th December 2008 , 07:52 PM

Dongle for a £100 cut-down DAW?

Blimey.

(But hope you enjoy it!)
Old 8th December 2008 , 09:51 PM

They are meaner than that Tyrone, Cubase SE3 was only 85quid!

BTW. anyone know how to get Fxpansions' BFD working in C. E4?

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 9th December 2008 , 11:20 PM
Rave Digga

i got cubase studio 4 for a bargain price !! i got it brand new boxed up/cellophaned up with dongle the lot for 70 pounds !!

the store i got it from has been hit bigtime with the ressession and the guy told me to make him an offer so all i had was 70 pounds on me and he said ok..

i was looking at buying essentials 4 but when you look at what you get for the price your not getting a great deal more than cubase ai4 (which is free)

i think steinberg were stupid to release 5 different versions of cubase 4 when you only need maybe 3. 1 full version..1 cut down version ..1 free bundled version...thats all you need there was no need for cubase4/studio4/essentials 4/cubase ai4/cubase le4..

i think it was just steinberg being greedy i just hope when cubase 5 comes around they will offer good deals for those who want to upgrade..i also think they should make there pricing structures more fairer for upgrading too and also lower there prices if they do this then there will be less cracked copys of cubase 5 when its released ..i know they gave the h20 crackers all jobs at steinberg thats one of the reasons cubase 4 never got fully cracked but with cubase 5 there will be loads of hackers ready too jump on it like they have done with sonar 8 that got cracked within 2 weeks !!
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 9th December 2008 , 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxxy View Post
i got cubase studio 4 for a bargain price !! i got it brand new boxed up/cellophaned up with dongle the lot for 70 pounds !!
Crikey – that’s a hell of a deal!

Those sort of wonderful moments don’t happen often, but boy do you feel good when they do.

Like finding a £20 in a pair of trousers that you’d forgotten about!