DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Computer Hardware
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Computer Hardware Audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI controllers & USB MIDI keyboards (not motherboards or system components)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th May 2013 , 09:52 PM

Default Which interface for digital and analog recording?

Hello,

Im somewhat new to digital recording having remained quite happy using a old tascam 488mkII tape 8-track for a couple of years... recently ive been wanting to expand my recording possibilities and maybe incorporate a little digital recording/tweaking especially when it comes to putting down drums..

the 488 i use has two xlr inputs for the whole unit and 1/4 inputs for each of the 8 tracks... im looking for an audio interface with between 4 and 8 (ideally, combo XLR (preamped?) and 1/4) inputs and with the same number of outputs - my technical know how is pretty limited so just to be clear i would like to be able to plug 4 xlr mics into the interface and then record each separate signal to four separate tracks on the tascam...

my friend has an alesis iO26 which does this exactly - the bonus being he can also feed recordings from a four-track into logic as separate tracks - however the alesis has been discontinued it seems...

ive been looking a lot at the akai eie pro,

[url]http://www.akaipro.com/eiepro[/url]

but can't tell if the four output jacks on the back of the panel will let me do this, or if they designed to send the combined signals from each four inputs to multiple monitor speakers???

does anyone know if this is the case, or of another decent interface that will let me do this? hopefully my message doesn't seem too garbled, like i say im pretty new to this and still stuck in the world of tapes... so any help would be very much appreciated!!

cheers!!
gregshaw1982 is offline Offline
Old 5th May 2013 , 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregshaw1982 View Post
Hello,

Im somewhat new to digital recording having remained quite happy using a old tascam 488mkII tape 8-track for a couple of years... recently ive been wanting to expand my recording possibilities and maybe incorporate a little digital recording/tweaking especially when it comes to putting down drums..

the 488 i use has two xlr inputs for the whole unit and 1/4 inputs for each of the 8 tracks... im looking for an audio interface with between 4 and 8 (ideally, combo XLR (preamped?) and 1/4) inputs and with the same number of outputs - my technical know how is pretty limited so just to be clear i would like to be able to plug 4 xlr mics into the interface and then record each separate signal to four separate tracks on the tascam...

my friend has an alesis iO26 which does this exactly - the bonus being he can also feed recordings from a four-track into logic as separate tracks - however the alesis has been discontinued it seems...

ive been looking a lot at the akai eie pro,

http://www.akaipro.com/eiepro

but can't tell if the four output jacks on the back of the panel will let me do this, or if they designed to send the combined signals from each four inputs to multiple monitor speakers???

does anyone know if this is the case, or of another decent interface that will let me do this? hopefully my message doesn't seem too garbled, like i say im pretty new to this and still stuck in the world of tapes... so any help would be very much appreciated!!

cheers!!
Hi Greg and welcome to the forum albeit I'm a little late getting to your post.

I'm not very familiar with the unit you are interested in however reading the quick blurb on it reveals that it is in fact an audio input device. It does this through USB 2.0. What that means is that it will come with software drivers for PC and Mac that will integrate with which ever DAW is your choice.

Basically what you need to do is load in the drivers and then connect the device via USB to the computer that has your digital audio workstation software on. When you have completed these processes successfully your DAW will recognise the four inputs on the front of the unit. At this point you may create and arm four separate tracks to record to in your DAW. There is no need for another device in between as you described above with the separate four-track device it goes straight in via USB the software acting as a sort of virtual mixing desk.

I hope this helps.

------
weaver is offline Offline
Old 5th May 2013 , 09:08 AM

Hi Weaver,

Thanks for the response... i think i might have not phrased my question that well though... i was looking for an interface that i could use with DAW but ALSO with my analog tascam 488mkII tape machine... Using the akai eie and connecting via USB to my mac would be no problem im sure.

But i wanted to know if those 1/4 jacks on the reverse were individual line/level outputs for each input on the front panel which i could then DI into the tascam?

basically i want to go

3/4 Mics > Akai EIE pro > Tascam 488mkII (and have each mic signal on a separate track)

to do this i need an interface with built in mic preamps and line level 1/4 outputs.. does the akai do this? or does anyone know a good interface that does???

thanks again!!
gregshaw1982 is offline Offline
Old 6th May 2013 , 02:20 AM

The short answer to this is I don't know. Without the manual I cant tell how the routing is set up, normally through software, or whether this unit can operate as a stand alone unit where individual channels can be routed to individual outputs on the back or not.

------
weaver is offline Offline