DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Computer Hardware
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Computer Hardware Audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI controllers & USB MIDI keyboards (not motherboards or system components)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th November 2012 , 10:37 AM
Uber Member

Default Dual Booting Windows on DAW

Sorry, little away from the purpose of the section but bare with me (bear with me?) as it comes back to it.
Also, apologies for not being active then putting 2 begging for help posts in a row.

My laptop died and I can't really afford to replace it as well as fix up my DAW.
I intend on upgrading my processor and motherboard to an i5 setup and putting in a SSD boot drive and a giant HDD for samples/library's etc.
I also want to have all the functions I used my laptop for, Internet browsing and iTunes really, and I don't want to have them interfering with each other.
Would I be able to dual boot windows so I can install my new software (probably Cubase 7), get my DAW tip top and avoid having to buy a new laptop?
Old 28th November 2012 , 04:48 PM
Tarnce Monkey

I honestly wouldn't worry about using iTunes and internet on the DAW. Windows security centre is so good and so unobtrusive that it barely impedes performance at all. iTunes is another matter of course, I despise it for it's bloat and controlling ways.

I have a dual boot system in that I have my old XP drive still installed in my machine. Rather than having a software dual boot, I simply choose which HDD I want to boot from in the BIOS, and it keeps my XP and W7 installs 100% separate.
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 28th November 2012 , 05:50 PM
Uber Member

Someone else suggested this as well, is it easy to do?
Basically I'd rather spend ?500 doing my DAW up and using it for general purposes as well than buying another machine.
Was thinking new ivy bridge i5, SSD and a clean install of XP (although I don't know if my OEM license will accept all the changes in hardware) and buying 7 for the dual boot.
Also, while I have your attention, is a H61 or a Z66 chipset better for the mobo?
Aaaaand finally I was running windows security essentials on my laptop, you say it's suitable for a DAW? It's really anti virus and iTunes that I don't want clogging cubase up.