DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Computer Hardware
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Computer Hardware Audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI controllers & USB MIDI keyboards (not motherboards or system components)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd November 2012 , 07:47 PM
Uber Member

Well fellas, I finally ordered my new PC today. I originally went online to take advantage of waves' black friday deals when i noticed that inta-audio were doing a deal until the end of this month whereby if you buy a pc for more that 1000 quid, you get 100 quid cash back! So I thought it would be silly not to take advantage of that.

The spec is listed below, You'll notice I have taken some of the advice from on here by opting for a solid state system drive and also a more powerful power supply as suggested by someone too. So thanks for your help on that, I appreciate it!

Cost was ?1053 but i got ?100 of that back of course. So a pretty decent deal i reckon!

Define R3 Black Tower Case

ASUS P8Z77-V LE - Intel Z77 Chipset

INTEL i7 3770 Ivy Bridge - Quad Core 3.4Ghz

Stock Intel CPU Cooler

16Gb DDR III 1333Mhz Kit (Requires - Windows 7 64Bit OS)

Nvidia GeForce 210 512Mb - Dual Head

Corsair 180GB Force Series SSD Drive (system)

1000GB SATA 7200RPM x 2

Single DVD Writer

650w Ultra Quiet Power Supply

Windows 7 Premium 64Bit

Acronis True Image

Inta Standard Care Plan

3 Port Firewire Card - Texas Instruments Chipset 1394a (TI Chipset)

Piano is offline Offline
Old 23rd November 2012 , 09:02 PM

Reckon you should have great service from that system
Good luck with it and I hope you enjoy
whis4ey is offline Offline
Old 23rd November 2012 , 10:27 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

That spec should serve you well!
Old 24th November 2012 , 02:52 PM
Tarnce Monkey

You couldn't really build it for much less than that, so a good deal indeed.
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 1st December 2012 , 10:49 AM
Uber Member

Ok fellas, My PC is ready and arrives on Monday.

I have a few more questions before it comes though and I get started.

Firstly, for anyone else who uses BFD2. This is my choice of drum software and I use it on every track. I seem to remember people complaining though, that they were lagging behind making their programme compatible with 64 bit systems and people were having to use something called J-BRIDGE or something like that. Do any of you know if they have released updates since then to make the programme compatible with 64 bit windows? Will it probably be a case of simply installing the discs as normal and then downloading relevant updates from the fxpansion website? I'm going to ask fxpansion directly about this but i thought it might be worth asking here in case someone has had this issue and knows how to resolve it.

Secondly, Virus scanners/internet protection.

I am not intending my new PC to be connected to the internet whatsoever. Any programmes I need to download, I will be doing so on another PC and saving the installer to a memory stick and then using that on the new PC. Same goes for validations etc. Most companies, if not all, offer validation on another PC. Does this mean, though, that there is no need to have any sort of defence system like mcafee on my new PC or is it still pretty standard still to have it? Or is it enough to have it on the PC i am doing the downloading on and leave the new PC without anything like that? Like i say, It wont be connected to the internet but I don't know if people still usually have that defence there anyway.

If you could let me know, that would be great. No doubt I'll be back on asking for some more pointers next week when I will undoubtedly run into teething problems!
Piano is offline Offline
Old 1st December 2012 , 11:43 AM

I would think that, if you have proper anti virus software on the PC that is doing the downloading, then there is no need for such on your music PC which will not access the internet. I don't have it on mine. I also understand that Windows 7 has a pretty good firewall fingy anyways
Old 1st December 2012 , 02:26 PM
Uber Member

Computer actually just arrived today! Result!

Itching to unpack it and set up but Saturday is family day with the other half and my wee girl so going to have to wait
Piano is offline Offline
Old 1st December 2012 , 04:05 PM

hehehe
This will definitely test your patience
Old 1st December 2012 , 08:52 PM
Uber Member

Another question before I get set up tomorrow.

Obviously all of my projects are on my old PC and will need transferred to the new PC.

The one problem I have is that I don't have an external hard drive as yet, which would allow me to transfer them easily from one to the other.

Is there another way I can do this? Can i connect both PC's with a USB cable? Would the new one recognise the old PC and allow me to drag files from the old PC to the new one? Or would I have to save my projects as files onto a DVD and put them on that way? Any ideas?
Piano is offline Offline
Old 2nd December 2012 , 01:56 AM

I have never used Windows, Can you not network them together using the ethernet port, if you have a crossover ethernet (ie. Cat 5) cable?
Lester is offline Offline
Old 2nd December 2012 , 11:34 AM
Tarnce Monkey

Buy a ?10, 16GB USB flash drive. It'll come in useful for future activations and all sorts of stuff too.

And you could also activate Windows Security Centre for downloaded or transferred content and just switch it off when you don't need it. It really is excellent and invisible.

edit - that should be ten pounds obviously, but it appears the forum doesn't like our currency.
tehlord is offline Offline
Last edited by tehlord; 2nd December 2012 at 11:41 AM. . <
Old 2nd December 2012 , 11:39 AM

I used Windows Easy Transfer (you will find it under 'Accessories' ... 'System')
Transfers everything from one 'puter to the other
Old 2nd December 2012 , 08:44 PM
Uber Member

Managed to link the 2 PC's with an ethernet cable and set up a network. Transferred over all my projects that way. All done now, thank god!

It's taken me pretty much the whole day to get everything installed and working properly. The only small gripe I have is that it looks like BFD Eco still hasn't moved to 64 bit.

I do also have the full BFD2 which is now available in 64 bit but all of my previous projects drums were recorded using BFD eco. The reason for that is I like ECO's user interface more than the full version. It is just less cluttered and laid out so much better. I bought the full version simply to expand the drum library as eco allows you to access the kit pieces from the full version but without having to use it's interface. From what I can gather, because eco was a cheaper alternative, fxpansion aren't so quick to upgrade it as they are with the full version. So, what happens is when I try and open my old projects, the drums aren't audible because eco wont open. All the midi data that i recorded is there but it wont play. I've contacted fxpansion about it anyway, see if there are any updates in the pipeline.

If not then I suppose I'm just going to have to get used to using the full version now! That is my only complaint!

Apart from that, the new PC is very quick, and none of the annoying glitches and limitations of my old system when i was continually having to be economical in freezing tracks and using only a certain amount of plug in's, especially reverbs which used to cripple my old system depending on what else i had opened at the time.

At last, a stable system. Now ready for updating to Cubase 7 when it's released in a few days!
Piano is offline Offline
Old 2nd December 2012 , 09:05 PM

Good news, Piano. So here we go with your first 64 bit Christmas song, eh?
Lester is offline Offline
Old 9th December 2012 , 11:35 AM

Quote:
Managed to link the 2 PC's with an ethernet cable and set up a network. Transferred over all my projects that way.
Just exactly what do you do to make that work?