DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Computer Hardware
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Computer Hardware Audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI controllers & USB MIDI keyboards (not motherboards or system components)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th November 2012 , 08:16 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
I'm a bit late to this thread but I'll give you the skinny as far as I see things. Mac is by far the better system to run audio on. In saying that Mac is not particularly easy for a novice to upgrade at a later time.

PC's if the system you are buying is already set up/pr-built then 16Gbs of RAM is more than enough for most applications you'll use. Both the 16 and 32Gb options need a 64 bit version of Windows in order to utilise all available RAM. Now if the system comes pre-built then all the BIOS settings should already be set up. Since it offers two possibilities 16 or 32 this suggests to me that in the 16 Gb option you'll be getting 2 x 8 Gb sticks requiring pretty much no under the hood BIOS settings as they are only filling 2 RAM slots in bank 0. Now the 32 Gb system would require a little bit of tinkering in the BIOS to increase the power input to the RAM banks as 2 banks of 2 x 8Gb sticks will be being filled and therefore requires a little more voltage. Thats all well and good provided the BIOS settings are recoverable should the system need to be reset at any point. If not then stick with the 16Gb option as it would be much less hassle for a novice in the long run.

In saying that Tehlords recommendation of a decent SSD becomes more attractive as an SSD will reduce the load times to pretty much negligible levels i.e. from turning on the PC to having Windows fully loaded would take some where in the region of 10 seconds rather than a few minutes from a bog standard 7200 HDD. Applications also load much quicker too. I'd recommend a 120Gb SSD instead of 1 of the 3 HDD's.

------
So are you saying if I decide on the PC, i should change the programme/system drive to a SSD one? Or are you saying I should add one of these accelerator cache SSD drives? There is an option to add an accelerator cache drive, they only do them in 45GB or 60GB though. There IS the option of choosing a solid state 160GB drive though instead of the 1TB programme/system drive. I assume you're talking about the latter?
Piano is offline Offline
Old 14th November 2012 , 08:33 AM
Uber Member

OK, here's a revised spec.

Attached Item: 1x Define R3 Black Tower Case
? Attached Item: 1x ASUS P8Z77-V LE - Intel Z77 Chipset
? Attached Item: 1x INTEL i7 3770 Ivy Bridge - Quad Core 3.4Ghz
? Attached Item: 1x Stock Intel CPU Cooler
? Attached Item: 1x 16Gb DDR III 1333Mhz Kit (Requires - Windows 7 64Bit OS)
? Attached Item: 1x Nvidia GeForce 210 512Mb - Dual Head
? Attached Item: 1x Corsair 180GB Force Series SSD Drive (system drive)
? Attached Item: 2x 1000GB SATA 7200RPM
? Attached Item: 1x Single DVD Writer
? Attached Item: 1x 550w Ultra Quiet Power Supply
? Attached Item: 1x Windows 7 Premium 64Bit
? Attached Item: 1x Acronis True Image Home
? Attached Item: 1x Inta Standard Care Plan
? Attached Item: 1x 3 Port Firewire Card - Texas Instruments Chipset 1394a (TI Chipset)

Better? Comes in at just under ?1100
Piano is offline Offline
Old 14th November 2012 , 09:30 AM

I think that would work a dream
whis4ey is offline Offline
Old 14th November 2012 , 10:20 AM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Looks like a great spec to me, though if you have a lot of software to install, you might want a slightly bigger system SSD drive if you can afford it to make sure there's enough expansion room - check how much space is used on your current system drive.
Old 14th November 2012 , 11:52 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boulden View Post
Looks like a great spec to me, though if you have a lot of software to install, you might want a slightly bigger system SSD drive if you can afford it to make sure there's enough expansion room - check how much space is used on your current system drive.
Yeah, I am a little unsure about 160GB. I think my system drive at the moment has used up about half of that amount, about 80GB maybe slightly more, I'll need to double check. I'll see how much a larger one would be, I'm in contact with a guy at the company and he's been going over various options and prices with me. I would ideally like more than that as I'm sure as time goes by I'll be adding more and more.

I've actually got a question for you. I'm going to be buying the new Cubase 7 upgrade from Cubase 6.

When i started out, I had Cubase studio 5, then i bought an upgrade to 6 and this will be an upgrade to 7.

When I am installing Cubase on the new PC, do i have to run the studio 5 discs, then the cubase 6 upgrade, then the 7 upgrade? Or is there a way to just get full cubase 7 on there without going through all that?
Piano is offline Offline
Old 14th November 2012 , 11:55 AM
Uber Member

The biggest solid state program drive I can get is 240GB. Only 20 quid dearer than the other one. I'll get the bigger one.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 14th November 2012 , 12:16 PM

I installed Windows 7 Professional. Not sure what the difference or benefits would be from Home Premium but you might like to check. Doubt if there would be much difference in price
whis4ey is offline Offline
Old 14th November 2012 , 12:23 PM
Tarnce Monkey

Quote:
I'm a bit late to this thread but I'll give you the skinny as far as I see things. Mac is by far the better system to run audio on. In saying that Mac is not particularly easy for a novice to upgrade at a later time.

------

The current Mac Pros are just as easy to upgrade as any PC. Easier in fact as the case is better designed and larger than most PC cases.

Now I sound like a Mac fanboy

The SSD size isn't that crucial (no pun) if you're ONLY installing programs and applications. You just need to be careful that none of the library content of your plugins go on the main SSD drive.

That PC looks fine though. I'd be tempted to add a slightly more powerful PSU though, just incase. If you run a lot of USB powered devices and multiple drives with your CPU under a constant load the PSU's lifespan may be reduced.
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 14th November 2012 , 03:20 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Even if you buy the Cubase 7 upgrade, you still get the full installer... all the "upgrade cleverness" happens separately on your license key. So, in short, yes you can simply install just C7 without installing the previous versions & updates.
Old 14th November 2012 , 03:44 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boulden View Post
Even if you buy the Cubase 7 upgrade, you still get the full installer... all the "upgrade cleverness" happens separately on your license key. So, in short, yes you can simply install just C7 without installing the previous versions & updates.
Oh good! I didn't fancy having to re-install them all!

tehlord, PSU? Is that short for power supply?

And whis4ey, I'm using windows home premium just now and find it fine, albeit the 32 bit version just now. Not too fussed about the windows tbh. Happy enough with home premium unless someone can say whether their is any real benefit in buying professional when it comes to music?

oh and i've only used 60GB of my current system drive for programmes. I'm quite careful now to put samples and stuff like that on other drives. I'll still go with the larger solid state though as it's only 20 quid more. Just to be on the safe side.
Piano is offline Offline
Last edited by Piano; 14th November 2012 at 03:47 PM. . <
Old 14th November 2012 , 04:48 PM
Tarnce Monkey

Ya, PSU = Power Supply Unit.
Old 14th November 2012 , 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano View Post
So are you saying if I decide on the PC, i should change the programme/system drive to a SSD one? Or are you saying I should add one of these accelerator cache SSD drives? There is an option to add an accelerator cache drive, they only do them in 45GB or 60GB though. There IS the option of choosing a solid state 160GB drive though instead of the 1TB programme/system drive. I assume you're talking about the latter?
Yes SSD for your system drive... Also as Tehlord says I always put librarys/samples on a separate HDD.

I think the PSU you have will cope ok with the load however It might be an idea to consider something a little larger. Personally I have a Corsair Gold AX850W but then my system is water cooled runs 3 HDD, 2 SSD's and a few friewire/usb bits and bobs so it needs it.

------
weaver is offline Offline
Old 14th November 2012 , 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post
The current Mac Pros are just as easy to upgrade as any PC. Easier in fact as the case is better designed and larger than most PC cases.

Now I sound like a Mac fanboy
Yeah you do..

------
weaver is offline Offline
Old 15th November 2012 , 03:17 PM
Tarnce Monkey

Quote:
Yeah you do..

------

regarding the PSU, I'm pretty sure it'll be fine in the short term, but for me there's always the question of longevity when your PSU is 'just about enough'

Especially when DAW's can be under constant load for long periods of time.
Old 16th November 2012 , 08:55 PM

It maybe worth a thought ... a PC on Windows will run perfectly with Linux as a second OS. That will give you a whole host of "Mac" features. Exceptional processing power, as Linux only loads what you want unlike windows, that loads everything, just in case you need it before it is too out of date! You can load both the Os's and choose which one you want at boot up time, Also it eases one into a new OS without the stress. If you don't get on with it, you will still have crappy windows there. Linux will read all of your files but windows won't!
A freeware/ sawn off version is Ubuntu and I am very happy with the free Open Office software, music software etc etc and there are drivers for almost everything in the store For Free!
Harleyjon is offline Offline