DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Computer Hardware
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Computer Hardware Audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI controllers & USB MIDI keyboards (not motherboards or system components)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st April 2012 , 08:44 PM
Uber Member

Default External hard drives

Why the hell have they become so expensive? They seem to have increased in price a lot.

I need to get my hands on one to back up all my data before attempting to fix my PC. Anyone know where i can get one at a fairly cheap price?

I do already have everything backed up to a second internal hard drive but my worry is that should i have to reinstall windows on a new system hard drive for my PC, then i will have to change settings on the PC to recognise the second internal hard drive that i have everything backed up to and if my memory serves me correctly, that means you have to format the second drive first before creating a new volume and then the PC will recognise it. Is that correct?

I remember when i first bought the second hard drive, i had to format it so the PC would recognise is. So, if i buy a new system hard drive and re-install windows 7 on it, does that mean i will have to format the second hard drive again?

This is why i want an external because if i go ahead and re-install windows and then can't access the back ups i have on the second had drive, it will be a complete disaster and everything will be lost.

God damn annoying! I'm hoping to upgrade to a new PC in the next few months but in the meantime, i need to get the problem sorted with this one and i constantly get the S.M.A.R.T warning that my system drive is reporting a "not okay" status and that i should back up everything immediately, which i have done, but only to a second internal hard drive.

Like i say, something tells me that should i install a new system drive, then the PC will not automatically recognise the 2nd internal hard drive with the back-up on it and will ask me to format it first which, of course, means losing all the data on it.

Piano is offline Offline
Old 21st April 2012 , 10:49 PM
Round The Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano View Post
Why the hell have they become so expensive? They seem to have increased in price a lot.
Floods in Thailand caused by an extremely heavy monsoon season in 2011.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15534614

And you thought it rained a lot in Scotland?
saxman is offline Offline