DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Computer Hardware
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Computer Hardware Audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI controllers & USB MIDI keyboards (not motherboards or system components)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th November 2011 , 01:12 PM

Default buy a sound card?

hi i have cubase 5 and am currently recording. i have been using the integrated sound card (realtek hd audio) which has served me fine but now am wanting as close to zero latency as possible with some options for recording vocals and instruments. i am currently having problems with clicks and fuzz etc using asio4all in cubase 5 whilst recording vocals with a cheap samson C01U, decent mic btw. would buying a dedicated sound card like the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Sound card for recording in 24 bit. or should i buy an external usb audio/midi interface Lexicon Omega Desktop Recording Studio or simply an Alesis MultiMix 4 USB Mixer but would this usb mixer be able to act as a main out for the computer as well or just as a stero input for recording guitar and vocals? i hav a budget of around 100 as I want to spend a couple of hundred on a nice microphone but i really need a better interface to work with than just but integrated sound card, although it is 192Khz 24bit i dont think the latency is very good whilst working with it so thats why im looking for a new one.

thanks guys, ps if you want to here a classical composition here it is [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2EtsgwTuXA[/url]
musiccreator7 is offline Offline
Old 13th November 2011 , 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiccreator7 View Post
hi i have cubase 5 and am currently recording. i have been using the integrated sound card (realtek hd audio) which has served me fine but now am wanting as close to zero latency as possible with some options for recording vocals and instruments. i am currently having problems with clicks and fuzz etc using asio4all in cubase 5 whilst recording vocals with a cheap samson C01U, decent mic btw. would buying a dedicated sound card like the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Sound card for recording in 24 bit. or should i buy an external usb audio/midi interface Lexicon Omega Desktop Recording Studio or simply an Alesis MultiMix 4 USB Mixer but would this usb mixer be able to act as a main out for the computer as well or just as a stero input for recording guitar and vocals? i hav a budget of around 100 as I want to spend a couple of hundred on a nice microphone but i really need a better interface to work with than just but integrated sound card, although it is 192Khz 24bit i dont think the latency is very good whilst working with it so thats why im looking for a new one.

thanks guys, ps if you want to here a classical composition here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2EtsgwTuXA

First of all I have to say you have a fine pair of ears there mate the results you have somehow managed to obtain with just on board sound are nothing short of excellent. The composition itself though not to my normal taste makes excellent use of pedal tone very listenable.

As far as the devices you have suggested go they'd both be fine for what you want to do as they are very similar sitting at the bottom end of the audio recording scale, there will be a little latency with the Alesis although I'd hazard a guess no where near as much as what you are dealing with at the moment and with Asio4all you could squeeze it down even further. Yes they can both accommodate external monitoring however in the case of the 2496 you would need another device (mixer) in line before the monitors. With the 2496 however you do get 1 channel of MIDI input none on the Alesis, personally I wouldn't see that as a problem with the easy USB/MIDI connectivity these days. The pre's (preamps) on the M-Audo are ok'ish but not great I certainly wouldn't be using them to try and produce professional quality vocal tones though with those ears you'd probably do a good job, the Alesis pre's I could not say. I hope this reply answers some of your questions.

------
weaver is offline Offline
Old 14th November 2011 , 08:49 AM

Hi Musiccreator7 and welcome.
Yes indeed, that is a very nice piece of work! But, the hardware!

You might like to ponder our* setup as it seems to be very close to one of your proposals.
2496 card (but I would go for the AP192 now if you can afford it) .

Allen &Heath ZED10 FX usb mixer (we don't use the usb link). This runs into a modest HP desktop W7/64 and runs Cubase Elements 6 (or Samplitude se8, Sonar EX1. Son has recently discovered Forte' Free and loves it!).

Monitoring is actually catered for by a second small mixer into Tannoy 5As but the 2496 could equally well be routed back thru' the ZED10.

PCI (PCIe) is always going to give you the smallest possible latency, nothing usb or Fussywire will come close unless you can move up to RME kit (slurp!). I have not tried separate MIDI/usb devices but HAVE read of driver troubles with them. They are in any event an added "clutter" that the card relieves you of!

*Son and I. He play, me solder, defrag etc!

Dave. (err?...You don't need to run 192kHz! 44.1/24bits is fine!)
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 24th November 2011 , 09:04 PM

You've done a bit of research which is always good!

As has already been said, PCI will give you much better quality with regards to latency. But if you get the Audiophile, you'll still be after some mic pres of some kind.

In your situation, a USB interface would probably do the job. Personally, I'd probably pick up a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 which is nice and basic. Gives you two nice sounding pre amps, headphone output, L+R TRS outputs for your speakers of choice, and phantom power for a decent condenser. Additionally, Focusrite have got four new plug-ins with the Scarlett range which you'll be able to use in Cubase. It will take over from your Realtek soundcard, so all outputs from your computer will go through the outputs on the interface as long it's plugged in! Another option could be the M-Audio Fast Track - and you could alternatively look at the Tascam US122, M-Audio Fast Track Pro, or Focusrite Saffire 6 if you think you may need MIDI I/O built in (given the style of your compositions, you may well find use for the MIDI interface down the line).

Then, pick up a Rode NT1A pack for around 160 and you've got a nice little studio set up! Good luck with choosing - as long as you only need 1 or 2 inputs, you won't go wrong with what I've suggested above! Nice work on the compositions by the way, put them through my headphones and you've done a nice job considering what you're working with! Keep it up!
bigkidderz is offline Offline
Last edited by bigkidderz; 24th November 2011 at 09:06 PM. . <
Old 23rd July 2012 , 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenbisdee7215 View Post
ASUS is the best sound card than other cards and it is existing for a very long time and has always been known as quality computer hardware. Another model of ASUS Xonar Essence ST is quite different and impressive when it comes to overall performance.
You have tested all the others then? (or is this just spam?) .

I have not seen any review of any Asus soundcards in any publication I trust. I do have an Asus MOBO, not impressed. Those cards seem more aimed at the Home Theatre/gamer market (and a noise claim of -124dB(FS?) at those prices makes me deeply suspicious, them's Prism figures them is!). I would be very wary of driver stability and latency figures. And no MIDI! All up you would be far better off to buy an M-Audio AP192, M's drivers are made of granite.

For 2 mics+2 lines+ S/PDIF+ MIDI the NI Komplete Audio 6 takes some beating for a usb device. Beats the Saffires for latency.

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 23rd July 2012 , 07:09 PM
Mic Check 1!

While it looks like spam my spam-detector (which incidentally has never failed me yet) suggests its just misguided.

In any case, as the OP was 8 months ago he probably made a decision by now...
Old 23rd July 2012 , 10:25 PM
Tarnce Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post

In any case, as the OP was 8 months ago he probably made a decision by now...
That's a dig directed at me right?

tehlord is offline Offline
Old 6th September 2012 , 11:56 PM

Default buy a sound card

Indeed I panicked after reading this, and luckily realised on the order that I did infact buy something else on the same order
The card was 50 and I will keep it as a spare without quite as much guilt :-
rudrakash is offline Offline