DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Computer Hardware
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Computer Hardware Audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI controllers & USB MIDI keyboards (not motherboards or system components)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th September 2011 , 04:50 PM

Default ProjectMix refusing to be recognised in Windows 7.

I've recently bought an M-Audio ProjectMix. I tried to install it today; the CD telling me to go online to get drivers for Windows 7.
I got the latest driver and installed it, following all the instructions. If I click on the tray icon for the Control Panel, it tells me 'No device was found connected to this PC'.
There's another program with the installation called 'Firewire Device Enabler'. I ran this and gave it ten minutes (was showing no status or anything) before trying the Control Panel again, with the same result.

After trawling the internet for about 2 hours, I have found nothing that has helped me.
I don't have a clue what there is I can do. This is the only PC in the house that has a firewire port.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

It's a bit specific, but thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me.
edmedmoped is offline Offline
Old 16th September 2011 , 08:59 AM

I had the same trouble with an maudio firewire device in win xp.
Did you follow the instructions to the word from here..
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...fd41eabb8ea362

I also went for a firewire card with a texas instruments chipset (this seems to be the net wide/recommended thing to do for audio devices)

I got mine here...
http://www.inta-audio.com/music-pc-s...-chipset-p2036

Also make sure you have the right driver as they vary from version to version of win7 for the projectmix.......Hope you get it sorted.....
inderface is offline Offline
Old 16th September 2011 , 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderface View Post
I had the same trouble with an maudio firewire device in win xp.
Did you follow the instructions to the word from here..
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...fd41eabb8ea362

I also went for a firewire card with a texas instruments chipset (this seems to be the net wide/recommended thing to do for audio devices)

I got mine here...
http://www.inta-audio.com/music-pc-s...-chipset-p2036

Also make sure you have the right driver as they vary from version to version of win7 for the projectmix.......Hope you get it sorted.....
I tried to follow the instructions, but the ones there are for the old drivers - the latest one has a new layout.
The driver seemed to install fine, it looks like it's the 'Device Enabler' that's causing the problem. Once I click on 'Enable Device', it just hangs there until I close it myself.

I'll consider the new FireWire port in the future.

Thanks for your help.
Old 26th September 2011 , 04:49 PM

As far as I’m aware the Enabler is only useful if you are using Vista. Talk me through your installation please all windows versions of the software should go through similar processes.

• You start up the driver installer without the ProjectMixIO attached to the PC?
  • You install the software/drivers and either let the app restart your PC or restart yourself?
  • You then connect the firewire cable and turn on the ProjectMixIO before the PC starts.
  • The PC finds the new hardware device connected and runs through the installation of its drivers?
weaver is offline Offline
Old 26th September 2011 , 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
As far as I’m aware the Enabler is only useful if you are using Vista. Talk me through your installation please all windows versions of the software should go through similar processes.

• You start up the driver installer without the ProjectMixIO attached to the PC?
  • You install the software/drivers and either let the app restart your PC or restart yourself?
  • You then connect the firewire cable and turn on the ProjectMixIO before the PC starts.
  • The PC finds the new hardware device connected and runs through the installation of its drivers?
  • I start up the driver installer with the ProjectMixIO attached, but turned off, as per the instructions on the website. Same result with it unattached.
  • I install the drivers - it is a very basic installer with no warnings about connections or restarts. I restart.
  • I then turn on the ProjectMixIO before the PC starts.
  • The PC does nothing to suggest anything has happened. I click on the M-Audio Control Panel icon in the tray and it tells me that no device was found
Hope this helps!
Old 26th September 2011 , 06:52 PM

Hmm,.. It should have detected the hardware automatically when windows restarted. You could install the hardware yourself via the ‘add hardware wizard’ option in windows 7.

Before manually installing the hardware uninstall the software reboot and reinstall the software again this time don’t plug in the hardware until you are ready to restart windows. If it’s still not being recognised just follow the instructions on how to add new hardware here.

If there's still no joy then I'd check the connections and cables.

------
Old 26th September 2011 , 07:16 PM

I couldn't use that option because it needs a .inf file rather than the driver .exe file.
Old 26th September 2011 , 07:28 PM

I just found some more info that might be useful.

Changing to the Legacy IEEE-1394 (Firewire) Driver in Windows 7

In Windows 7, Microsoft changed the architecture of the IEEE-1394 (Firewire) controller driver. This new architecture does not work well with all firewire chipsets. If your firewire device is not being recognized or the connection to your firewire device is repeatedly being dropped, try changing to the Legacy IEEE1394 (Firewire) driver.

1- Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.
2- Expand the "IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers" node in the device tree on the right hand pane.
3- Right click the host controller node select "Update driver software ..."
4- Select "Browse my computer for driver software".
5- Select "let me pick from a list of device driver on my computer ..." and Check the box before “Show compatible hardware”.
6- Choose the second option---1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy), and click next to update the driver.

Quote:
I couldn't use that option because it needs a .inf file rather than the driver .exe file.
Get the installer to look for you instead of selecting have disk use the search for me option.

------
Old 26th September 2011 , 07:39 PM

This is as far as I get:

I've also tried all three FireWire drivers last week, but nothing!

Thanks again.
Old 26th September 2011 , 07:53 PM

You don't have to go that far into the add hardware wizard select the search for and install automatically rather than the full manual install since you don't know where to find the already installed inf files, there's normally a few installed you'd need to search for the HDWID to specify it yourself.

------
Old 26th September 2011 , 07:56 PM

Yeah but nothing gets found, so it takes me through this window:

and asks me to pick the device, which doesn't show up.
Old 26th September 2011 , 08:08 PM

It's a PnP device so the minute it's connected the OS should flag up saying new device attached(regardless if the software is installed or not). At that point if the software had installed correctly it should search through the libraries for the information file to set up the drivers for it. That's not happening. In that case either the software install did not complete correctly in the first place or the OS does not detect a new attached device. My next move would be to test the FW cable and FW input on the PC separately in order to rule them out. If both appear to be in working order then it can only be one or two things either the FW connexion on the PJMIO is not working or there's an IRQ conflict.

------
Last edited by weaver; 26th September 2011 at 08:10 PM. . <
Old 26th September 2011 , 08:51 PM

I'll try to find another computer with a FireWire input that I can test it on - if that works, I think I'll be needing a new FireWire card.
I'm in touch with the M-Audio guys now; hopefully they can recommend something if they don't have any more ideas.

Thanks!
Old 27th September 2011 , 09:23 AM

Let us know how you get on with the M-Audio team and your further tests.

------
Old 5th October 2011 , 09:04 AM

Any movement on your problem mate?

------