DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Computer Hardware
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Computer Hardware Audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI controllers & USB MIDI keyboards (not motherboards or system components)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th May 2011 , 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
If you ever use Pro Tools at all then RAID-striped disks are completely out of the question (at the moment, anyway!)

The way their DAE works makes it incompatible with RAID setups, unfortunately.

Absolutely spot on Whitecat itís a no go there. I donít know what you are talking about Lester all of those drives and caddies are available in the UK. Obviously I canít post links because itís not on posting competitor sites.

------
weaver is offline Offline
Old 26th May 2011 , 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
... all of those drives and caddies are available in the UK.
They are? That's good. It was the Eagleroc that I couldn't find a UK retailer for. I am studying for my own benefit and hence my question (in the OP) and reporting back on what I find. I am no expert so would be pleased to be proved wrong.

NB. I don't think DV247 sells Rocstor hard drives so other retailers are not competitors for this manufacturer's goods.
Lester is offline Offline
Old 24th June 2012 , 10:11 PM

Default Hard drives ...

Hi, I have used Samsung drives 1Tb as I find them generally reliable. WD tend to be noisy and I have found Hitachi to be a little slow but reliable on my system with Linux as the OS. All drives support USB 2 and more.
Harleyjon is offline Offline
Last edited by Harleyjon; 24th June 2012 at 10:12 PM. . Reason: Spelling again! <
Old 24th June 2012 , 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyjon View Post
WD tend to be noisy
Is that your experience? My WD 2TB My Book external HD is not even noticed, sat there quietly and in use probably every other day for almost the last year.

Old 25th June 2012 , 09:53 AM
Uber Member

I really should invest in an external HD soon.

At the moment, i back things up on a second internal HD.

An external HD is just such a boring thing to spent 100 quid on. Still, probably worth every penny to ensure all data is safe.

Imagine losing all your projects? All that work gone? Oh man, that would hurt!
Piano is offline Offline
Old 25th June 2012 , 10:49 AM

Chris, if it helps, what I found when I was reading up on this a year ago was that the ideal studio computer uses 3 hard drives (or the new flash drives), one for the system and programs, one for sound libraries and the other for work.

I have two drives (one internal, one external), not three, so I put my sound libraries on the main drive. Opinion seemed to be divided on which drive is best for them. I decided that along with the system and programs, libraries can be reinstalled should the drive die or the computer get nicked. That means, for me, that the external drive is the precious one, the one that gets backed up onto the internal drive and occasionally a copy of the backup is put on a USB flash drive so that it can be kept at a different address.

You already have a second drive, so you can backup what is on one to the other.
Old 25th June 2012 , 12:13 PM

If you just want an external drive for backup (i.e. not as part of the recording system when in anycase you would need FW, usb3 or SATA) do consider a network drive, on copper.

We have had two usb drives break (well I know one was dropped, nothing much said about the second!) . A NAS drive can be secreted safely many rooms away or at least put in a cupboard.

The other great benefit is of course that the data is available on any and all computers on the network, 3 PCs and a laptop in my case but only one computer needs to be powered up, the one you are using at the time. The smarter bods among you will even be able to access their songs via the internet! (I don't know how tho!).

I got a 2TB NAS from CPC about a year ago for around £100.

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 25th June 2012 , 03:28 PM
Uber Member

The way i work for now is, a 500 GIG partitioned drive. 200 gig for system, and 300 gig for my projects. (Although when i purchase a new PC, i will have both these things on a seperate drive because it CAN cause issues on bigger projects)

And a 1.5TB Hard drive which stores software samples and Back-ups of my projects as well as a complete Acronis back up system image.

I was going to buy a new PC recently but have decided to hold off until the end of the year. When i do, I'm going to go with 2 internals and 2 externals.

1 internal for system and 1 for projects. 1 external for software samples (pretty much just BFD2) and another for back-up.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 26th June 2012 , 09:23 AM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Just wanted to say, is there any point in having the samples drive external? Why not have 3 internal drives: System, Projects, Samples and then your Backup disk as an external... it'll be one less wall-wart!

I currently have 4 drives in my system:
  • System & Data (1Gb) partitioned as C: and D:
  • Audio & Video projects (1Gb & 1Gb) as a RAID0 array partitioned as 2 drives
  • Samples (2Gb) as a single drive
Daily backup is done automatically to a Windows Home Server.
For reference, they are all Samsung Spinpoint drives.
Last edited by Dave Boulden; 26th June 2012 at 09:25 AM. . <