DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Computer Hardware
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Computer Hardware Audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI controllers & USB MIDI keyboards (not motherboards or system components)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2010 , 09:06 AM

Default Which controllers ? keys and pads ?

I've decided its time to invest in some new controllers and that i need some pads.
Am looking at korg padkontrol or akai mpd18 / 26 for the pads but still unsure which to get. I want something easy to set up and use to trigger drums and smples from.

I will also be looking for a keyboard controller which will be pruchased after a little more saving. I am looking at Akai mpk25 , Novation SL mk2 or will one of the cheaper controllers like the novation remote compact do the trick.
again i want something very easy to set up which will give me more control over software and vst's. Ease of set-up is of great importance as i want to concentrate on the music.

My software will be Ableton Live, Reason and one or 2 other VST's.
My music will be House, Hip Hop and various dance/electronic styles.

Do i need both controllers or would just one all singing all dancing key board do it ?
Bimm is offline Offline
Old 10th October 2010 , 09:20 AM
Uber Member

That all depends on how precise you want your pads as the pads on keyboards tend to be a little lower in functionality than, say, an mpd. I haven't heard a bad word about the mpd's actually. As far as keyboards go I would say spec up as much as you can afford. Are 25 keys going to be enough? I know I found I needed 49 and I can't even play the blasted things properly hehe.
It all depends what you produce/perform as well I guess, is real time control a must or have you got a bit longer to fiddle? I know the software on some midi keyboards, such as Hypercontrol on the Axiom Pros, claims to integrate really well with Live.
Old 10th October 2010 , 10:20 AM
Tarnce Monkey

I'd go for something like the MPK 25 or 49 as the pads on that are supposedly as good as the MPC ones anyway. They're also very high quality products.

In my own experience all recent Novation products are badly built crap.
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 10th October 2010 , 05:59 PM
Uber Member

I wish I had got an MPK.
If you find yourself in need of an Axiom Pro I happen to know of a very nice one going cheap :P
It's good advice about Novation, good products as they go, but not as rugged as others around that price point. I now use a Roland pc-50 keyboard, no frills and well priced. And rock-f-ing-solid! If you wanted separate pads and a notsofancy set of keys I would definitely put it up for advisement. Depends on desk space and budget!
Old 11th October 2010 , 09:27 AM

Well, space is limited so 25keys is going to have to be enough.
Have heard the akai's are built well but would like to know how easy they are to set-up and use with ableton / reason etc. Novation has automap which is appealing.
I dont really want to spending all my time fiddling with settings, i just want to be able to get on and make music.
Bimm is offline Offline
Old 11th October 2010 , 11:17 AM
Tarnce Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimm View Post
I dont really want to spending all my time fiddling with settings, i just want to be able to get on and make music.
Then don't go anywhere near automap.

That was my experience anyway. Complete pain in the ass to use.
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 11th October 2010 , 11:30 AM
Administrator

Hi Bimm
Firstly, a belated welcome to the DV247 Forums..
Second, have you checked out the forthcoming Akai model, the MPK Mini.. it might suit your needs? http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardwa...pk-mini--79504
Old 11th October 2010 , 12:26 PM
Uber Member

From what I have hears the Akai's are simple enough to set up, a sit down for half hour and save configuration job, but Akai (probably wisely) didn't throw together software that does it for you.
Hypercontrol is allegedly better than Automap if the software does appeal but for the sake of the small amount of time saved you could probably skip it. If it's pads you're after Akai are the market leaders, I would go for the MPK if it were me.
Old 11th October 2010 , 12:39 PM
Administrator

Another recommendation then, check out the DV247 Blog review on the latest M-Audio Axiom series. The Direct Link software is frankly awesome, simple and powerful.. Part One http://blog.dv247.com/maudio-axiom-2...-review/16661/ and Part Two..
http://blog.dv247.com/maudio-axiom-2...-part-2/16720/
Old 11th October 2010 , 01:44 PM

thanks for the replies guys.

The small akai looks pretty attractive at that price but i would prefer something with full size keys.

I see my options as;

akai mpd/padkontrol and add a novation keyboard like the remote compact to keep the cost down.

or as above but save up for a remote sl mk2

or go for the akai mpk25 which has pads and keys.

or another option mpd/padkontrol in combination with novation nocturn and continue to use my currents keys until they fail completley.

it seems with the automap people either seem to find that its great while others dont tend to get on with it, very mixed reviews so havent made my mind up yet.
Bimm is offline Offline