DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Computer Hardware
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Computer Hardware Audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI controllers & USB MIDI keyboards (not motherboards or system components)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th October 2010 , 05:14 PM

Default Lots of hiss when recording bass with saffire pro 24!!

So Im trying to record some bass on a remix but every time I record the bass I have to push up the input gain on the Saffire to almost all the way up aswell as open an EQ on the channel Im recording the bass on to push the gain on the EQ all the way up. But then have to bring the output gain in Logic almost all the way down and in turn put the monitor gain on the saffire up a lot.

This is such a noob question to be honest but its really winding me up. Obviously its something to do with the signal-noise ratio in that because I have to push the gain up on the bass its bringing all the noise in the recording up too!

I think it could be something to do with my bass possibly (Squier Classic Vibe Jazz, passive pickups) but its puzzling me because I never have to do this when recording guitar (no name jazzmaster copy which I got for 100 pound on denmark street in london!) ... So surely the electronics in the guitar would be of lower quality than the bass?!

Someone please help with this, I have never had a problem like this when recording bass on anyone else's setup!!

Thanks
Mikki Funk is offline Offline
Old 5th October 2010 , 06:28 PM
Mic Check 1!

are you recording direct into a hi-z input?
Old 5th October 2010 , 10:56 PM

Yep trev, one of the saffire's Hi-z xlr/trs combo inputs! I'm going to try recording on my mates pro tools setup on friday to see if its my bass or just something with the interface! Till then I might borrow a DI from uni to try and get the signal of the bass up before the signal goes to the interface, not sure if it would actually make a difference though?
Old 13th October 2010 , 07:31 PM

Just to clarify, I tried recording through my friends mbox 2 into Logic 8 on his MBP, and, no noise, what-so-ever. The input gain on the bass input was only halfway up aswell and it came into logic just fine!
Old 13th October 2010 , 07:47 PM
Mic Check 1!

sounds like an issue with your saffire then. There isnt a DI button on the back or anything is there?
Old 30th October 2010 , 08:44 PM

Actually trev its sorted lol, quite annoying un-clear it was to set it up for recording instruments though (in fact nothing is said at all). In the Saffire Mix-control input 1 & 2 are set to line as default (which would be low gain i suppose), and you have to switch it to 'instrument' which would be high gain because as soon as you plug the bass or guitar in you only have to turn the gain up a tad to get a decent signal!

Tbh I think this is very silly to have the front inputs set to line as default because in the info on the box and on websites the inputs are described as balanced xlr/ trs combi instrument outputs... I mean, considering there's 2 clearly labelled LINE inputs on the back for this requirement of line inputs!!
Old 30th October 2010 , 10:25 PM
Mic Check 1!

cool. Glad you sorted it!