DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Computer Hardware
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Computer Hardware Audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI controllers & USB MIDI keyboards (not motherboards or system components)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st July 2008 , 12:57 PM

Default help needed on sound card purchase

Hi,

Right i'm gonna come clean; i know next to nothing about sound cards, but enough to know that i'm not getting the full potential out of my genelecs' by using a budget m-audio audiophile 192.

I produce dance music with a few hardware synths being imputted through a pioneer djm600 mixer (not ideal i know) i'm gonna eventually get a proper mixer and some hardware fx so not sure if that would effect what card i need.

My motherboard doesn't have a firewire connection so would that mean i need another pci card, or can i get an adapter, or does it not actually have much bearing on the sound how it's connected?

I was looking to spend 500+ but a grand would be a bit out of my reach; unless it's really nessesary.

Any advise is much appreciated

Matt
Mental Universe is offline Offline
Old 31st July 2008 , 01:10 PM
Sound Guru

How many channels do you need at any one time?

I'd probably start by taking a look at the Lynx PCI cards. They're strictly AD-DA, so no preamps, but the conversion is top-notch.

Firewire isn't absolutely necessary - in fact, on a PC it might overcomplicate things. If you really want a firewire interface you could add a PCI card for that. It will likely have marginally higher latency than a PCI solution, though.
whitecat is offline Offline
Old 31st July 2008 , 01:14 PM
Hell-Rider

Well i have the same sort of set up as you by the sounds of things and i bought the MOTU 24 i\o as it means i could hook up to my behringer mx9000 on all 24 tracks using the direct outs and tape returns and with the use of the px3000 i can also patch directly into the motu cutting out any unwanted noise which maybe produced via feeding the outboard synths into the desk. this is a pretty damn expensive way to go if you dont have that much outboard but for me the flexibility of the system really aids making tunes as i can get signals where i want them with no fuss. I havent had much experience with such a set up other than with cubase or with protools HD3 so im not sure how easy this would be to do using logic or sonor etc. The great thing about the 24 i\o with cubase is that in the control panel for cubase the channels of the MOTU can be assigned where i want them so if im only using 12 tracks i only need to assign 12 tracks plus i can set up mixes in a whole host of ways.

Example of this is that i can have my main stereo channel assigned to tracks 23 and 24 of the desk (whith the tape returns flipped on to the faders) whilst having my MPC hooked to channels 1-6 line ins of the desk with my morpheus on 7&8 and my fb01 on 9&10(again flipped so that they are on Mix B- if thats how i want to run a mix) in this way i can switch between monitoring the signal coming from the desk, the entire mix in cubase or the signal coming from the desk channels direct outs to cubase whilst still being able to apply eq or dynamic processing (if i want to). when i come to mix down i can then flip all channels and mix manually applying any outboard hardware if i want. i can also send directly out of cubase via aux channels to an effect and return to cubase with little latency (any latency can also be compensated for within cubase) or a whole host of other options depending on how i set the routing in cubase.
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 31st July 2008 , 01:45 PM
Rave Digga

the real main reason your not getting the full potential out of your genlecs isnt because of the soundcard its because your using a dj mixer too monitor.buy a mixer but if you do want another sound card the emu cards are great value and to save processing power the emu cards come fitted with dsp fx chips so you can use the emu too power your vst effects seperate from your pc.

ive got a emu 0404 card installed in my pc and its been brilliant never had any problems with it and the qualitys excellent it also comes with lots of external connections such as midi ports/2 audio ins /2 audio outs/optical in/out..spdif..if you want extra flashiness then get the higher spec emu cards.

but to be honest if your only just starting out id keep the soundcard youve got its not too bad and buy a decent controller and mixer ..if your serious about creating dance music you need a mixer most off all you cant keep putting keyboards into a mixer which is designed for djs too mix on in a club.

if i had 500 to spend id buy this instead and theyll last you or a few years until you want too upgrade again heres my pick list..

Yamaha MG166C USB Analogue Multi-Purpose Mixer at DV247.COM Yamaha MG166C USB Analogue Multi-Purpose Mixer 235.99

Novation Nocturn Intelligent Plug-In Controller at DV247.COM novation nocturn 67.99

CME UF50 49 Key Semi-Weighted MIDI Controller Keyb at DV247.COM CME UF50 49 Key Semi-Weighted MIDI Controller Keyboard 129.99

E-MU Emulator X2 Sampler + MIDI Interface + Proteu at DV247.COM emu emulator x2 69.99

ok ok i went over budget but 3.96 but if you add your genlecs and plug your keyboards in the mixer this set up will last you ages.
waxxy is offline Offline
Last edited by waxxy; 31st July 2008 at 01:49 PM. . <
Old 31st July 2008 , 07:36 PM

cheers for the advise guys,

waxxy i should have mentioned i'm not actually monitoring through the mixer, my audio out goes directly to my monitors. i just use the mixer to route 4 hardware synths in to the single audio input on the card, raising the mixer fader on the synth i want to record.

obviously when i do get a proper mixer i'll monitor through that, that yamaha one looks pretty good, but why would a mixer need usb, and if i'm inputting 4 synths would i need a sound card with multiple inputs? (god i'm really displaying what a novice i am when it comes to hardware)
Old 31st July 2008 , 09:47 PM
Rave Digga

the usb mixer will allow you to bypass your soundcards audio inputs instead all audio will go via usb.it will be much easier for you and will sound much better.and youll have more inputs than your dj mixer.
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 1st August 2008 , 09:50 AM

[QUOTE=waxxy;2576]the usb mixer will allow you to bypass your soundcards audio inputs instead all audio will go via usb.it will be much easier for you and will sound much better.and youll have more inputs than your dj mixer.[/QUOTE]

excellent, cheers
Old 1st August 2008 , 01:04 PM
Rave Digga

your welcome ..if you buy it and have any probs either post back on here or pm me .but dont ditch the soundcard its ok for any vsts you may buy or if you goto my other posts ive posted links too loads of free vsts for you too use ..most are made especially for dance music.
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 2nd August 2008 , 05:48 PM

I have 2 pc's each with a 2496 feeding Tannoy monitors. Son and I have no reservations on sound quality and the 192 has been shown to be even better.

I doubt that until you get into the Apogee/Lynx stratosphere you will notice any improvement with a usb mixer, many of which btw, are 16bit only.

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 2nd August 2008 , 08:07 PM
Rave Digga

the reason i suggested geeting a usb mixer was the fact he only had 500 pounds too play with and hes got hardware synths plugged into a dj mixer..it makes more sense to buy a proper mixer and if he bought a usb mixer like the one i shown him he could wire all his hardware into it and when he needed to record his synths into his daw he could then just select the channel on the mixer and record it easily into his daw.

and then he could use the audio outputs on his soundcard and wire them to his genlecs hed get a great sounding system for little money being spent.
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 2nd August 2008 , 09:18 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxxy View Post
the reason i suggested geeting a usb mixer was the fact he only had 500 pounds too play with and hes got hardware synths plugged into a dj mixer..it makes more sense to buy a proper mixer and if he bought a usb mixer like the one i shown him he could wire all his hardware into it and when he needed to record his synths into his daw he could then just select the channel on the mixer and record it easily into his daw.

and then he could use the audio outputs on his soundcard and wire them to his genlecs hed get a great sounding system for little money being spent.
That would be the best option for use with hardware especially due to the fact that plugging into TRS jacks with no gain controls can be a pain with some synths as theyre really quiet outputs even at full whack. good example of this is the sub channels on the morpheus where i tend to run them into the desk to bump up the level before going to the MOTU, the main stereos are loud enough so they go direct.
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 3rd August 2008 , 07:44 AM
Rave Digga

my proteus and quasimidi technox are exatlly the same they have much quieter outputs than my other synths so i have too bump up the gain quite a bit on my mixer. but if i didnt have gain controls id be pretty screwed.
waxxy is offline Offline