DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Computer Hardware
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Computer Hardware Audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI controllers & USB MIDI keyboards (not motherboards or system components)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th September 2009 , 10:49 PM
max

Default Big problem with my new Akai MPD 32

Hello! Hope anyone can help me with this. I tried to install the Akai MPD 32 tonight. It is a present for my son's birthday. Seemed to work but never got any sound. So I thought I better upgrade and downloaded the newest firmware along with a PDF how to install. I followed all the steps, first step is remove the old firmware, then you can install the new firmware that you have saved on your desktop... but there is the problem, it gets stuck there. The display of de mpd32 says 99 Receiving and that's it.... nothing else.
So the firmware in someway doesn't get sent from the Vyzex progrem to the MPD32. Big problem, because without any firmware the thing is useless! So this is a very bing disappointment for my son. Anyone has an idea how to at least get the old firmware back? Or better how to get the new firmware installed? We are new an this, so any tip would be more than welcome!

Thanks!
max is offline Offline
Old 20th September 2009 , 01:00 AM
Forum Idol

1st off the mpd has no sound, it is just a trigger.
secondly, when updating remove all USB connections other than mouse and keyboard then try and update.
let us know how that turns out
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 20th September 2009 , 03:48 PM
Rave Digga

you have to be very very careful when updating the firmware if theres any glitches it bricks it.touch wood not had any probs myself but ive read some real nightmare storys from users were theres been no way of fixing it best contact akai and ask for help trying to restore its functionalty.

i read on another forum that once youve deleted your firmware and try updating to newest you can down grade it.

only thing i could suggest is you use another usb port and do as sureno said unplug any other usb things and also disconnect from internet and redownload the updated file ,you never know when it was downloading it could have got corrupted and thats why your only getting 99 percent,as long as the mpd can recieve information via usb then touch wood you should be able to save it if it locks up totally then you could be screwed.
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 20th September 2009 , 07:01 PM
max

Hi, today I tried it again using my laptop computer, and it worked, so now it has the lateste firmware installed. Now I 'only'have to get it to work.
It will take me quite some time I think to find out how it works. Not as easy as it seems. Thank you for your answer.
max is offline Offline
Old 21st September 2009 , 10:43 AM
Forum Poet

You will hear no sound just plugged into a PC. It has no sound.

The MPD32 sends MIDI information over its plug-and-play USB interface so you can use it with your Mac or PC without installing any drivers. The USB connection even powers the MPD32 so the included USB cable is all you need. It comes with a custom versions of Ableton Live Lite and FXpansion BFD Lite software so you can start creating right out of the box. In addition to Live and nearly any other MIDI software, you can also drive any MIDI hardware, such as synths, sound modules, samplers, sequencers, drum machines, and more.

I read this and the bold part is what you need to set up - it'll all be explained in your manual and the software will have instructions. You need software as the MPD32 is a trigger device -like a midi keyboard but with pads instead of keys.

Btw, it will be straightforward to set up.
Last edited by I_Am_Bic_Pentameter; 21st September 2009 at 11:15 AM. . <
Old 21st September 2009 , 12:01 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by max View Post
Hi, today I tried it again using my laptop computer
thats exactly how i got mine to work too, it refused off my mac pro but worked on my macbook
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 21st September 2009 , 08:23 PM
Rave Digga

max the akai is very very easy to use but can look complicated at first.

you cant use it on its own it can only be used like a keyboard so you need something to provide the sounds and a program such as cubase to record what your playing.

if your using cubase its easy..first plug in the akai..then start cubase..once its loaded up and youve chosen a new project then load up a vst instrument..if your using cubase 4 or cubase 5 load up halione as it has some great drum sounds..then click on a midi channel on the arranger page on the left hand side youll see two drop down boxs click on the first one and youll see its midi input so chose the usb controller which coresponds to the channel your akai is on (on my pc the akai is usb 2 on yours it may be different )..then on the box below chose halione as your sound source..press a pad you should hear a sound ,then click on the small yellow little square box that will open halione so you can see what sounds you have click on the preset box then search for your drum sounds find one your happy with then your ready to record your first drum patterns..

youve got a great controller but you need to remember it wont play sounds until there assigned to it..if youve no drum vsts just goto the free vst forum page on here and find one to download the best ones to get are kore free and proteus free both contain brilliant sounds and both are completely free to use
waxxy is offline Offline