DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Computer Hardware
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Computer Hardware Audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI controllers & USB MIDI keyboards (not motherboards or system components)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th August 2009 , 11:19 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRyan View Post
True, one thing I've noticed whilst looking into a fair few motherboards is the way in which they implement their PCIe.

Its a bit naughty (and cheap). Slots that will support/fit various devices of differing rates(lanes), but basically bottleneck them back to a fixed lane value.
It is a massive problem with PCIe. If you only have one lane, your card is running at a data rate of 250MB/s. Less then USB2, as well as FW400 and FW800 obviously.

And boards with 2 slots, that then decide to share lanes between them. Although I suspect this was done for the benefit of gaming rigs. Faster calculation by coherent and paralell processing is better for performance then faster access to data that hasn't been mangled..

PCIE 3 looks promising though. A data rate of 1GB per lane and zero overhead...
Err 250MB is a lot faster than USB2 which is 480Mb (60MB/s) which is why usb 3 has been bought about to try and even things up as a lot of companies dont wanna tie into PCI-e too much for fear that the standard are moving to fast. PCI-e3.0 has already been finalized and refused as its just too soon to warant it.

On the subject of how many lanes are available do you really need that many ? lynnfield supports 24 lanes on chip for graphics with that being beefed to a full 32 (or full sli capability like nehalem 1366) on the 32nm shrink and later 45nm models. and p55 supports a further 8 lanes. when you think that my motu was capable of running 24 tracks at 96k 24bit on a PCI-X card its not causing the one lane slot that it sits in at the moment any sweat. i cant remember exactly how much it takes but i think (just a figure i seem to remember seeing) that at 48 24bit with all 24(48 if you look at it in the sense of non duplex) tracks running is using a meer 48MB/s
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Last edited by JAYDMF; 19th August 2009 at 11:27 PM. . <
Old 21st August 2009 , 03:58 PM
Forum Idol

its official, the best upgrade for a PC is seen below, recommended by PC World

http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 22nd August 2009 , 10:37 AM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
its official, the best upgrade for a PC is seen below, recommended by PC World

Lol im just waiting til snow leopard gives you all grief then it'll all be hush hush for a while on the mac front
Old 22nd August 2009 , 10:58 AM

this is what im looking at getting at some point in the future for music and maybe some gaming.

PC Core i7-920

- Intel Core i7 i7-920/2.66GHz 8MB Cache Quad core processor
- Antec Nine Hundred/Ultimate Gamer Case
- 3x120mm and 1x200mm fan,2xfront loaded HDD cages
- Antec 750Watt Power Supply Unit
- 4GB DDR3 DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333MHz)
- Asus P6T SE Motherboard
- 7.1 channel surround, Up to 12 USB2, GB LAN, Firewire,eSata
- Geforce GTX260 896MB DDR3 PCIExpress Graphics
- 1TB S-ATAII 32MB Cache Hard drive
- Front Panel Card reader
- 20x DVD+/-RW/Dual Layer SATA DVD writer
- Kensington USB Keyboard
- Logitech RX250 USB Mouse
- Nero Express,Kaspersky AntiVirus
- Sharkoon Xurface Gaming Mouse Mat
- For Windows,LCD & further options see below

Euro 1350.00 inc VAT

bluebearddub is offline Offline
Old 22nd August 2009 , 01:05 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebearddub View Post
this is what im looking at getting at some point in the future for music and maybe some gaming.

PC Core i7-920

- Intel Core i7 i7-920/2.66GHz 8MB Cache Quad core processor
- Antec Nine Hundred/Ultimate Gamer Case
- 3x120mm and 1x200mm fan,2xfront loaded HDD cages
- Antec 750Watt Power Supply Unit
- 4GB DDR3 DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333MHz)
- Asus P6T SE Motherboard
- 7.1 channel surround, Up to 12 USB2, GB LAN, Firewire,eSata
- Geforce GTX260 896MB DDR3 PCIExpress Graphics
- 1TB S-ATAII 32MB Cache Hard drive
- Front Panel Card reader
- 20x DVD+/-RW/Dual Layer SATA DVD writer
- Kensington USB Keyboard
- Logitech RX250 USB Mouse
- Nero Express,Kaspersky AntiVirus
- Sharkoon Xurface Gaming Mouse Mat
- For Windows,LCD & further options see below

Euro 1350.00 inc VAT

Good spec. if you want it for music tho i would suggest putting it all in the antec 183 case. the nine hundred isnt quiet by any means as its all open and exposed for cooling purposes. 260 cards can be incredibly noisy and hot too so just look around at the different brands before you buy as some do coolers that are much quieter and more efficient than the reference design
Old 22nd August 2009 , 04:05 PM

cheers mang ! there will be a few tweeks including some hagling to be had before any readies cross palms !! its for protools le with an mbox pro, i also want to get graphics card with inputs for 2 monitors or sli two gforce ones. and about 6gb of ram onboard. that should keep guitar rig 3 and bfd happy .
Old 22nd August 2009 , 04:58 PM
Mic Check 1!

If it's for PT make absolutely sure that the spec is PT compatible or you'll be sorry...
Old 23rd August 2009 , 11:18 AM

hi trev, im still unsure about the interface really and that will determine what daw i go for, i was really really peed off with maudio as the fastrack ultra i had bought last year died 2 wks outside warrenty so im very very reluctant to buy from them again, however i do like and have spent time learning ptmpowered, now ive been looking at a motu mk3 firewire interface which i could use on either a mac or a pc with either logic or cubase 5 or reaper.
Old 23rd August 2009 , 12:46 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
hi trev, im still unsure about the interface really and that will determine what daw i go for, i was really really peed off with maudio as the fastrack ultra i had bought last year died 2 wks outside warrenty so im very very reluctant to buy from them again, however i do like and have spent time learning ptmpowered, now ive been looking at a motu mk3 firewire interface which i could use on either a mac or a pc with either logic or cubase 5 or reaper.
PC + Cubase/Nuendo + MOTU = good combination. been running mine like that for 2 years now and its the best work flow ive had (specially now everything is patched in)
Old 23rd August 2009 , 01:30 PM

i used cubase 3x a few years ago and liked it, the only plugins i have are ezdrummer and guitar rig for quiet practice , ill track guitars live mic'd up if i like the tunes , i kinda want a versatile system with plenty of power for both music and the odd game.
Old 23rd August 2009 , 06:29 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
i used cubase 3x a few years ago and liked it, the only plugins i have are ezdrummer and guitar rig for quiet practice , ill track guitars live mic'd up if i like the tunes , i kinda want a versatile system with plenty of power for both music and the odd game.
Well what ive found these days is that because games are now multi platform, you no longer need the super duper cards of yesteryear (although there are still stupidly fast cards out there, look at the asus mars if you want an example) im currently running 2 main machines, my audio machine and my games machine and tbh the games machine isnt anything spectacular but its capable of handling all the projects that my audio machine can whilst also playing the likes of gta4, dead space, fallout3 etc. i slammed it together for about 450. heres the spec:

Asus M3A78Pro
AMD Phenom II X2 550BE (3.1GHz)
4GB Corsair XMS 2 (cas 5)
Asus Ati Radeon 4670 (1GB OC version)
Coolermaster Geminii S
Samsung Spinpoint F1 HDDs: 1x250GB + 1x320GB
Samsung DVD/CD, lightscribe combo
Zalmann HPC 500 (500w modular)
Silverston LC17s Desktop case (rackmountable)

Thats running through a 24" Samsung T240HD which also doubles as my TV so its all good, i run most of my games in 1680x 1050 although i do have some games running at 1900 x 1200 which looks absolutley awesome. and sound wise i have my old berrys with the sub hooked into a presonus audio box so its S**t scary when playing games like dead space .

So in terms of the spec your looking at you'll be more than fine. ive found on the GFX card front however that the Radeons are the quieter cards (with the exception of the 4850x2 and the 4870x2 for obvious reasons) the Nvidias are great just hot and the reference design cooler tends to be noisey. they seem to have been suffering on this side of things since the 8800gts and the likes
Last edited by JAYDMF; 23rd August 2009 at 06:32 PM. . <
Old 23rd August 2009 , 07:31 PM

my current card is an 880gt nvidia, ive always found ati cards to give a washed out apperance and ive never used an amd to my shame, but id be more than happy with an i7 based machine for a kind of jack of all trades one, i really only run bf2 and probably flashpoint 2 when it comes out, other than that the machine will be used for music and a bit of photography. my current one is about 4 yrs old and was a mid range one when i bought it , when i run more than 2 plugins of guitar rig in pt i get the blue screen of death
Old 23rd August 2009 , 09:47 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
my current card is an 880gt nvidia, ive always found ati cards to give a washed out apperance and ive never used an amd to my shame, but id be more than happy with an i7 based machine for a kind of jack of all trades one, i really only run bf2 and probably flashpoint 2 when it comes out, other than that the machine will be used for music and a bit of photography. my current one is about 4 yrs old and was a mid range one when i bought it , when i run more than 2 plugins of guitar rig in pt i get the blue screen of death
Sounds like a driver issue to me dude.
Old 9th September 2009 , 02:35 PM
Hell-Rider

As of yesterday you can now get your hands on i7 processing power for less. Intels Lynnfield platform is officially released.

Just had a butchers to see how much its gonna set me back and im quite surprised.

New mobo (asusp7p55d deluxe) + Chip (i7 860 2.8) + RAM (4gb corsair DHX 9,9,9,20) comes to a cool 460.

From the reviews ive read the 860 pips the 920 to the post which is a good thing seeing as the 920 is going to be dropped leaving the 9 series "full fat" 1366 based i7s to just the 950 and higher which will set you back a fair bit more.
Old 9th September 2009 , 10:00 PM
Son of 'Z'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYDMF View Post
As of yesterday you can now get your hands on i7 processing power for less. Intels Lynnfield platform is officially released.

Just had a butchers to see how much its gonna set me back and im quite surprised.

New mobo (asusp7p55d deluxe) + Chip (i7 860 2.8) + RAM (4gb corsair DHX 9,9,9,20) comes to a cool 460.

From the reviews ive read the 860 pips the 920 to the post which is a good thing seeing as the 920 is going to be dropped leaving the 9 series "full fat" 1366 based i7s to just the 950 and higher which will set you back a fair bit more.
Tis tempting. But for now, My macbook 2.2 with 4 gig of ram and Snow Leopard is rolling along fast enough for me.
EdRyan is offline Offline