DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Computer Hardware
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Computer Hardware Audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI controllers & USB MIDI keyboards (not motherboards or system components)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th April 2009 , 10:16 AM

Man, you know your stuff! Yes, it was a P4S800D.
I have to admit, although I have built plenty of computers, I know nothing about chipsets. I only looked at what was compatible & did it as best I could with the money I had.

Fingers crossed I can have this plugin work without a complete upgrade just yet. I'll probably have to give in and do it sooner or later anyway, but for now I just want to be able to record and not have to learn a whole new DAW and spend money I don't really have just now.

Manmy thanks for your input!
Bloke From Barnet is offline Offline
Old 8th April 2009 , 03:41 PM

PSU turned up today, so we'll see if that makes things any better. I also got a reply from Sydec. I thought, if I'm gonna do it, might aswell do it right so I fired this spec at them:

* Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Socket 775 2.83GHz 1333FSB 12MB L2 Cache
* ASUS P5Q SE PLUS iP45 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
* Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 HyperX Memory CL5 2.2V
* Western Digital WD3200AAKS 320GB SATAII 16MB Cache 7200 RPM

They said my card should work ok with the mobo and indeed there is a guy using a P5Q Deluxe. I think the chipsets are the same, so it shouldn't make any difference.

If I can get my current setup to run BFD better, then I'll stick with that for a while and save my pennies to do the upgrade & get Cubase 5.
Old 9th April 2009 , 08:58 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke From Barnet View Post
PSU turned up today, so we'll see if that makes things any better. I also got a reply from Sydec. I thought, if I'm gonna do it, might aswell do it right so I fired this spec at them:

* Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Socket 775 2.83GHz 1333FSB 12MB L2 Cache
* ASUS P5Q SE PLUS iP45 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
* Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 HyperX Memory CL5 2.2V
* Western Digital WD3200AAKS 320GB SATAII 16MB Cache 7200 RPM

They said my card should work ok with the mobo and indeed there is a guy using a P5Q Deluxe. I think the chipsets are the same, so it shouldn't make any difference.

If I can get my current setup to run BFD better, then I'll stick with that for a while and save my pennies to do the upgrade & get Cubase 5.
Looks good man, one comment tho, have a look at the Asus p5q-E, the SE version isnt bad but what youve gotta remember is that its a stripped down version of the standard p5q. still if it meets your needs then full steam ahead dude, get in there and enjoy lots of processing power for plugs
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 16th April 2009 , 03:55 PM
Hell-Rider

Well heres one for anyone considering a new build any time soon that doesnt have the for an intel core i7.

Core i5 + P55 chipset

a few of the details are a bit sketchy but there are a few benchmarks hanging about around the net (although they are all taken from prototype board etc) but it looks like the i5 may well be a very good chip for users on a budget.

Features :

Pros:
4 cores, 8 threads (as with i7)
8mb L3 cache (as with i7)
Reduced TDP = cooler
Cheaper

Cons:
QPI has been removed (so its a bit more like the current core 2)
Requires a socket 1160 motherboard so its not possible to upgrade to an i7
only has dual channel ddr 3 (i7 has tripple channel)
Lower clock speeds (reported to be between 2.0-2.6 but that hasnt been confirmed yet)
Not very clockable

however its looks like it will perform better than the current core 2 duo/quads whilst coming in around the same price range (core 2 will obviously drop as a result)

And for those of you that love mac books or laptops there is a mobile variant on the way with 2 cores and 4 threads which some people are calling the i3 but i doubt that will stick.

Still. keep your eyes peeled

oops forgot to mention theyre supposed to be available late Q3 or early Q4 of this year
Old 16th April 2009 , 04:53 PM
Uber Member

Is the drop in the core 2 going to be worth waiting until Q3 for? I really need to sort a desktop (my laptop is starting to be a pain) and may have funds to do so at the end of this month. Was looking at core 2 (as I'm pooooooooor) as it'll just used for me and in-the-box Cubase for the forseeable future. While I'm here as it is kind of relavent to the thread anyway and saves starting a new one:
32 or 64 bit?
I know Vista is a little touch and go (and not noticable the route of any of my problems but very well could be, I'm clueless!) so its XP but what are the pros and cons of 64bit? I know you can use more RAM with 64, thats about it.
Last edited by Wilty; 16th April 2009 at 04:54 PM. . Reason: Spaceman <
Old 16th April 2009 , 05:29 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilty View Post
Is the drop in the core 2 going to be worth waiting until Q3 for? I really need to sort a desktop (my laptop is starting to be a pain) and may have funds to do so at the end of this month. Was looking at core 2 (as I'm pooooooooor) as it'll just used for me and in-the-box Cubase for the forseeable future. While I'm here as it is kind of relavent to the thread anyway and saves starting a new one:
32 or 64 bit?
I know Vista is a little touch and go (and not noticable the route of any of my problems but very well could be, I'm clueless!) so its XP but what are the pros and cons of 64bit? I know you can use more RAM with 64, thats about it.

Well its a tough one to say on the price of core 2. as with all intel price changed its going to be as minimal as possible and with the current line up of processors its a bit confusing tbh. i'll put a table of processors in order of performance below so you can guage it. If you need a machine right now then the 45nm core 2 duos are the best bang for the buck but at the same time if your gonna maybe jump again in the not too distant future to either i7 or i5 the AMD route may well be an option as theyre dirt cheap.

Intel Processors:

Core i7:
965 - 3.2 (unlocked multiplier) 800
940 - 2.93
920 - 2.66 250

Core i5:
2.0 - 2.6 (no model number etc)

Core 2 Quad (45nm, *12mb cache, 1333FSB):
Q9650 - 3.0* 270
Q9550 - 2.83*
Q9450 - 2.66*
Q9400 - 2.66 (6mb cache)
Q9300 - 2.5 (6mb cache)
Q9100 - 2.1*
Q9000 - 2.0 (6mb cache)
Q8300 - 2.5 (4mb cache)
Q8200 - 2.33 (4mb cache) 140
There are now S variants (65w tdp instead of the original 95w)

Core 2 Quad (65nm, 8mb cache, 1066FSB):
Q6700 - 2.66
Q6600 - 2.4

Core 2 Duo (45nm, *6mb cache, 1333FSB)
E8600 - 3.3* 230
E8500 - 3.16*
E8400 - 3.0*
E8300 - 2.83*
E8200 - 2.66* (theres a 8190 at the same speeds)
E7500 - 2.93 (3mb cache)
E7400 - 2.80 (3mb)
E7300 - 2.66 (3mb)
E7200 - 2.53 (3mb) 90

Core 2 Duo (65nm, 4mb cache, *1066FSB ,^1333fsb)
E6850 - 3.0^
E6750 - 2.66^
E6700 - 2.66*
E6600 - 2.4*
E6550 - 2.33^
E6400 - 2.13* (2mb cache)
E6300 - 1.86* (2mb cache)

Core 2 Duo (65nm, 2mb cache, 800FSB):
E4600 - 2.4 90
E4500 - 2.2
E4400 - 2.0
E4300 - 1.8 60

Intel Pentium Dual core (*45nm, 65nm, 800FSB, 1/2mb cache):
E5400 - 2.7* 80
E5300 - 2.5*
E5200 - 2.4*
E2220 - 2.4
E2200 - 2.2
E2180 - 2.0
E2160 - 1.8
E2140 - 1.6 50

As you can see they have a hell of a lot of processors with massive crossovers on spec which makes it a mine field to work out what you need and where its possible to place i5 in the market.

I have left out some processors in that list such as the extremes and variants that dont support Virtualisation as either a) they have the same spec as a listed processor or b) in our cases Extreme editions are a bit pointless as overclocking = risk of data corruption and something people dealing with audio wouldnt or shouldnt be risking. Ive put rough prices for the top and bottom of each range apart from on the 65nm ranges which are starting to get hard to find

As for your question on 32 or 64, i would hang in on XP pro until Windows 7 is available and had a bit of a run in that way you can make a confident move over to a) 64bit and b) a new OS, the way things are looking moving to vista at this point in time would be money down the drain.
Last edited by JAYDMF; 16th April 2009 at 05:40 PM. . <
Old 16th April 2009 , 05:38 PM
Uber Member

Woah! You're not wrong, definitely a minefield. I don't know how comfortable I'd be with AMD, and I'm only thinking XP as I'd need an OS for the desktop straight off (just got OEM Vista on my laptop) and Windows 7 is about 9 months from release (I think I read).

Thanks for putting that up though mate, I can actually go back and know what I'm looking at now (I was just going by how much things cost to upgrade).
Old 16th April 2009 , 05:45 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilty View Post
Woah! You're not wrong, definitely a minefield. I don't know how comfortable I'd be with AMD, and I'm only thinking XP as I'd need an OS for the desktop straight off (just got OEM Vista on my laptop) and Windows 7 is about 9 months from release (I think I read).

Thanks for putting that up though mate, I can actually go back and know what I'm looking at now (I was just going by how much things cost to upgrade).
Well i can only go on my experiences with Live, C4 and Reaktor on my Athlon X2 5000+ but i cant say ive had any problems regarding processing power or glitches in playback etc, sure in the base it doesnt perform quite as well as my e6600 but in straightline speed (ie where reaktor is concerned) its does the job fine. That system cost me about 390 (the case was 90 as i wanted a rackmountable case that looked good as a desktop machine, Silverstone tc-17s)
Old 26th April 2009 , 12:03 AM

Well I pushed the boat out & got a Q9650 3ghz quad cpu. Picked it up for 205 on feepay. Going to get an asus P5Q Pro mobo and a WD 500gb/16mb/7200 sata hard drive.

I got a choice of kingston hyperx 1066 or OCZ 1066 Gold. Is there much difference between the 2? Pricewise its less than a quid. I've always use Kingston and never had any trouble, but is the OCZ any better? I've been reading up it seems I will have to edit some settings somewhere to make the mobo read the RAM at full speed.

I sold my beloved old Cubase VST 5.1 & got a used copy of SX2, cheap & cheerful upgrade

Now my last dilemma is my OS. I got a copy of Vista home premium lying around that I bought to 'upgrade' my home pc a few months ago which I reverted to XP after a couple of minutes. Now with all my new 21st century running gear, I understand that vista will utilise all 4GB of RAM whereas XP is limited here so I'm tempted to install it, but.. well.. its Vista! Any snakes in the grass with this setup & Vista?
Last edited by Bloke From Barnet; 26th April 2009 at 12:05 AM. . <
Old 26th April 2009 , 11:43 AM

If you're going down the Intel route, I would recommend dropping the Core Duo and going for Dual Core... if CPU is your bug bear, the Dual Core represents the best price to performance point IMHO.

What you're looking at, might be
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139971

If this is the case, I would definitely put in the little extra for
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131950 (this is what I have, and I'm well pleased. I don't use much processor intensive stuff for my music, but when I fire up East West's play engine, it's nice to have a high ceiling to go crazy when I want to!)

Go for 4Gb RAM if you're on XP, but if you're on Vista... it's worth going even higher. With RAM at the prices it's at these days, it's silly not to!

I've heard great things about ASRock boards, but I'm an Asus guy also. I use the Asus P5QL-E and it's excellent, as a base, giving me plently of options to upgrade upon it in the future.

Take your time with your new build. Fast HDs are always good. 7200rpm is a minimum. CPU, RAM and audio interface is where you'll want your biggest investment. You can even pick up good, fast OCZ RAM for cheap these days.

It's worth saving that little extra to put in as it mean keeping your PC for another year or so

Good luck!
dariunas is offline Offline
Old 26th April 2009 , 11:55 AM

Thanks dariunas

I've already bought the cpu now, but its an animal, so it should see me ok for a nice long time.
I got soundscape mixtreme 192 audio card which I have had for a few years now so its pretty much just the RAM & OS that I need to decide on.
XP has limitations with RAM, but at least I know I can fire the thing up and start working. Vista provides more capability, but it is notoriously bug ridden. I just wonder if this could affect me with my setup?
Old 26th April 2009 , 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke From Barnet View Post
Thanks dariunas

I've already bought the cpu now, but its an animal, so it should see me ok for a nice long time.
I got soundscape mixtreme 192 audio card which I have had for a few years now so its pretty much just the RAM & OS that I need to decide on.
XP has limitations with RAM, but at least I know I can fire the thing up and start working. Vista provides more capability, but it is notoriously bug ridden. I just wonder if this could affect me with my setup?
That's a nice card!

When it comes to OS, I personally take preference of 'tried and tested' and something which has more support, so it was XP Pro for me

If I had my way, I would have stayed on Windows 2000, I love that OS. Quick and stable

Vista has smoothed out a fair since launch; it definitely needs more RAM than XP as it hogs more of it, but at least with XP, I know what I'm doing and there's a wider bank of help out there if and when I need it.
dariunas is offline Offline
Last edited by dariunas; 26th April 2009 at 12:08 PM. . Reason: Addition <
Old 26th April 2009 , 12:09 PM
Uber Member

Isn't XP (32 bit) limited to about 2gb RAM anyway? I was looking at the E8400 as it goes, dual 3.0ghz should be plenty for me. Just got an OS sorted (XP pro assuming it arrives), looking at getting M Audio AP192 to finish it off-just have to wait until thursday to see if I can afford to by the box! I'm well excited.

What I'm looking at in detail:
Intel Core Duo E8400 (3.0ghz)
Asus P5Q pro
2 GB Corsair somethingsomething RAM
160gb system/750gb SATAII drives
and an Nvidia 9400GT (just to take the brunt of the sparkles).

Edit again:From the ASUS website;

"*When installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended."

Another EDIT: I BOUGHT IT! I thought I'd take the plunge and in the end went for:
Intel CPU Core 2 Duo E8500
160Gb SATAII HDD 7200rpm (System)
500Gb SATAII HDD 7200rpm
Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 800MHz (2X1GB)
ASUS P5Q PRO
Zotac 512MB NVIDIA 9400GT
500W Standard ATX PSU

I already have XP Pro so have that to look forward to installing, and need to get soundcard and such sorted. I went for the E8500 instead of paying a bit more and going Quad Core, largely due to performance to cost ratios.

Think I may upgrade to Cubase 5 next month as well, and maybe a new controller on the credit card but its all coming together
Last edited by Wilty; 30th April 2009 at 08:23 AM. . <
Old 26th April 2009 , 12:23 PM

I think JAYDMF said that XP can use 3.25 GB RAM.
Old 26th April 2009 , 10:03 PM

Default Finally...

After plenty of research and some great advice from you guys, I finally have my machine. All parts are on order so I should have it built around the end of next week.

Windows XP home 32 bit
Intel Q9650 3.0ghz quad core cpu
Asus P5Q Pro Mobo
4 GB Kingston Hyperx 1066 DDR2 Ram
2X WD 320GB/7200rpm/16mb 300mb/s SATA Hard Disks
All in all cost me 440, which is amazing considering my first pentium 3 550mhz, 13gb hd, 64mb ram machine cost me 1300 back in 1999!

I'm now running Cubase SX2 DAW
Soundscape Mixtreme 192 soundcard
Plugins BFD2 (I'll put that on the 2nd drive), Trillogy, Battery 3.
EW Fab Four & Goliath are on my Xmas wishlist.

Its been a good learning curve. Although XP 32 will not use all the RAM, there are no 64 bit drivers for my soundcard yet (although I'm told sydec are working on it) so all being well, this setup should allow me to have plenty of fun for a long time to come. Thanks for the info & advice in this thread, much appreciated.
Last edited by Bloke From Barnet; 26th April 2009 at 10:06 PM. . <