DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Computer Hardware
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Computer Hardware Audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI controllers & USB MIDI keyboards (not motherboards or system components)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2009 , 01:12 AM

Default ADAT tape drive & DVD-RAM drive: beg, borrow or hire?

Hi folks,

For my first thread, I'd like to ask for some help. My old bands original recordings were made circa 2001 in two different studios - one analog onto 3 ADAT tapes and the other digital (Protools) onto the now defunct DVD-RAM format (a single 5.4GB disc). All the tracks were eventually mastered in Protools.

I'd like to get at these original tracks and pull, say, .wav files onto CD/DVD/hard drive so I can perhaps "tinker" with them at my leisure in the future. Does anyone know where I can hire, borrow or use either of these drives?

I'm not a pro audio guy I'm just learning about recording etc and building up my first home "studio". I have a Saffire Pro26 (ADAT optical input) and an iMac but no ADAT drive or DVD-RAM drive to read the original tracks. I don't want to buy particularly (unless v. cheap!) as it's a one-off job. I'll probably be moving to Logic as a DAW unless I'm persuaded by public opinion to go with one of the others

Any pointers or suggestions?

Thanks!

Neil
Old 21st January 2009 , 06:12 PM
Son of 'Z'

You can buy external drives that support DVD RAM for about 50. I suspect that unless you know someone with a computer that 6/7 years old, that is the only option for getting the info off the disc

As for your DATS. I know someone with a machine (Tascam DA20) for sale, but don't know what he wanted for it. Ring up a couple of local studios and see what they'd want for porting the material over for you.
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 21st January 2009 , 08:21 PM

Thanks Ed. I've made a few enquiries to studios (including the original ones where we recorded) and there seems to be a view that I can just take the DVD-RAM disc out of the square case thing and read it in a normal DVD drive. I was initially sceptical (and I didn't want to end up destroying the thing) but this may indeed be possible.

I'll keep googling and see if I can find someone with a ADAT drive in their studio locally - not found one so far but early days yet. I hope the tapes don't age as badly as some types do.

Neil
Old 2nd February 2009 , 07:32 PM

Default Problem solved!

Thanks to Andy at Music Box studios down on the Somerset Levels who has a fully functional Alesis Adat tape drive and extracted all my bands recordings off the 3 original master tapes. Now have gigabytes of original wavs to play with as well as a backup of the tapes themselves.

Now just need a DVD-RAM reader and a Protools set up to snaffle the rest of them
Old 2nd February 2009 , 08:08 PM
Round The Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDad View Post
Now just need a DVD-RAM reader and a Protools set up to snaffle the rest of them :)
Don't you just need a DVD drive?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RAM
Quote:
Many operating systems like Mac OS (Mac OS 8.6 up to Mac OS X), Linux and Microsoft Windows XP support DVD-RAM operation directly, while earlier versions of Windows require device drivers or the program InCD.
And if your DVD-RAM disc is enclosed in a cartridge designed specifically for a DVD-RAM drive then as I understand things, the disc can be removed from the cartridge so that it can be read on a standard DVD drive;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dvdramopen2.gif
saxman is offline Offline
Last edited by saxman; 2nd February 2009 at 08:12 PM. . <
Old 3rd February 2009 , 12:40 AM

Great links - thanks.

Yes, I was told it was possible to do it but this now tells me how - cheers!

The recordings will have been saved as Protools sessions. I don't have Protools, although there must be someone nearby with it who could save them as wavs for me.