DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Computer Hardware
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Computer Hardware Audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI controllers & USB MIDI keyboards (not motherboards or system components)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2009 , 01:48 PM
Costa Del Cool
 
sphelan's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spain
Posts: 3,134
Default Are Mac Pros very noisy?

Coming from bscully's post over at Synergy Origin AW700 (i7) Released!, I realised that I have never considered the noise factor of a MacPro.

What's the story guys? Are they noisy? As noisy as a PC? Is it a factor to consider in moving or not to Mac? Or is bscully just trying to distract me????
______________________________
Eat my dust! I've made my move and there's no looking back!
sphelan is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2009 , 01:49 PM
Sound Guru
 
whitecat's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Surrey / London
Posts: 2,740
Default

The newest Mac Pros are quiet as a sleeping kitten. They seem to have progressively gotten quieter over the past few years, esp. compared to the old G5s which could sound like a Boeing 747 doing an engine test when the fan ramped up all the way.
whitecat is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2009 , 01:52 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
The newest Mac Pros are quiet as a sleeping kitten. They seem to have progressively gotten quieter over the past few years, esp. compared to the old G5s which could sound like a Boeing 747 doing an engine test when the fan ramped up all the way.
no the new gen stuff isn't that bad, macs are still better
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2009 , 01:58 PM
Costa Del Cool
 
sphelan's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spain
Posts: 3,134
Default

So it's not an issues then? A new MacPro wouldn't need to have it's toncles taken out then?

I have a laptop that I have to turn off if I want to record audio as it's dynamite loud...bit like the new Metallica album we have been discussing. And the PC, isn't as bad, but it's not quiet either.

Custom build PCs v MacPro???
______________________________
Eat my dust! I've made my move and there's no looking back!
sphelan is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2009 , 02:00 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
So it's not an issues then? A new MacPro wouldn't need to have it's toncles taken out then?

I have a laptop that I have to turn off if I want to record audio as it's dynamite loud...bit like the new Metallica album we have been discussing. And the PC, isn't as bad, but it's not quiet either.

Custom build PCs v MacPro???
Mac Pro all the way, you dont need to worry about the fan mate
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2009 , 02:01 PM
Costa Del Cool
 
sphelan's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spain
Posts: 3,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
Mac Pro all the way, you dont need to worry about the fan mate
Only the TRUE FAN (1000 of em, isn't)!!
______________________________
Eat my dust! I've made my move and there's no looking back!
sphelan is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2009 , 02:09 PM
Administrator
 
modz1's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,848
Default

My G5 is aging a wee bit now ('05/'06), but she drones away in the corner without any major noise pollution. She tends to 'tick' sometimes (like an electronic pulse) but saying that, I've not heard that little noise since I upgraded my soundcard to the Profire 2626 in November..
______________________________
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.."
modz1 is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2009 , 02:13 PM
Costa Del Cool
 
sphelan's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spain
Posts: 3,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by modz1 View Post
My G5 is aging a wee bit now ('05/'06), but she drones away in the corner without any major noise pollution. She tends to 'tick' sometimes (like an electronic pulse) but saying that, I've not heard that little noise since I upgraded my soundcard to the Profire 2626 in November..
And the new ones have to be better, right?

Sorted!
______________________________
Eat my dust! I've made my move and there's no looking back!
sphelan is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2009 , 02:54 PM
Forum Poet
 
I_Am_Bic_Pentameter's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 2,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
Are they noisy?
Only their users are as they constantly chirp on about how great they are.
______________________________
˘ / ˘ / ˘ / ˘ / ˘ /
I_Am_Bic_Pentameter is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2009 , 03:10 PM
Synergy Engineer
 
bscully's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 109
Default

Obviously it's hard to A-B a MacPro and a Synergy in Spain, but i can assure you that Synergy's are by far quieter than a MacPro.

It's very easy to get USB extention Cables and a 10 meter DVI cable to keep your MacPro at a safe distance.

I did say that the MacPro's have improved considerably, but if space is an issue and you're recording with condenser mics in the same room, it will get picked up.

As with anything in life there are pros and cons, and it all depends on where your priorities lie.

Before all of you gun me down for this (Sphelan), i was exposed as being a Mac user myself. This is my balanced opinion. If i need silence i choose Synergy! If i need Logic, i choose Mac.

Let the bashing comence!
bscully is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2009 , 03:13 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscully View Post
Obviously it's hard to A-B a MacPro and a Synergy in Spain, but i can assure you that Synergy's are by far quieter than a MacPro.

It's very easy to get USB extention Cables and a 10 meter DVI cable to keep your MacPro at a safe distance.

I did say that the MacPro's have improved considerably, but if space is an issue and you're recording with condenser mics in the same room, it will get picked up.

As with anything in life there are pros and cons, and it all depends on where your priorities lie.

Before all of you gun me down for this (Sphelan), i was exposed as being a Mac user myself. This is my balanced opinion. If i need silence i choose Synergy! If i need Logic, i choose Mac.

Let the bashing comence!
really, must of been a witty member to have done that
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2009 , 03:15 PM
Synergy Engineer
 
bscully's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
really, must of been a witty member to have done that
That's very questionable.

If one were to remember rightly it was you who ended up with his pants down by the end of that thread
bscully is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2009 , 03:17 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscully View Post
That's very questionable.

If one were to remember rightly it was you who ended up with his pants down by the end of that thread
wouldn't be the first time
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2009 , 03:19 PM
Costa Del Cool
 
sphelan's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spain
Posts: 3,134
Default

Hey bscully! Wondered when you'd pitch in here.

Well, at the end of the day, I reakon all this technology is placed in front of us just to CONFUSE us even more!
______________________________
Eat my dust! I've made my move and there's no looking back!
sphelan is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2009 , 03:20 PM
Costa Del Cool
 
sphelan's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spain
Posts: 3,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscully View Post
Obviously it's hard to A-B a MacPro and a Synergy in Spain, but i can assure you that Synergy's are by far quieter than a MacPro.

It's very easy to get USB extention Cables and a 10 meter DVI cable to keep your MacPro at a safe distance.

I did say that the MacPro's have improved considerably, but if space is an issue and you're recording with condenser mics in the same room, it will get picked up.

As with anything in life there are pros and cons, and it all depends on where your priorities lie.

Before all of you gun me down for this (Sphelan), i was exposed as being a Mac user myself. This is my balanced opinion. If i need silence i choose Synergy! If i need Logic, i choose Mac.

Let the bashing comence!
Of course, if DV are willing, I'd be only too happy to do that A-B test...or a user review of a Synergy!
______________________________
Eat my dust! I've made my move and there's no looking back!
sphelan is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noisy Pickups bluejon Bass 4 23rd January 2010 01:31 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.0
1999-2017 DV247 Ltd. All rights reserved.