DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Computer Hardware
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Computer Hardware Audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI controllers & USB MIDI keyboards (not motherboards or system components)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th July 2008 , 07:55 AM

Question usb 2.0 midi interface cable?

When it comes to usb midi interfaces, is it any more advantagous to have a usb 2.0 than to have a usb 1.1 interface? I'm thinking that usb 2.0 may solve sticky note problems, although they are only occasional. Anyone out there know about the ESI Midimate usb 2.0 interface cable or CME's equivalent offering?
sigasa is offline Offline
Old 6th July 2008 , 08:07 PM
Hell-Rider

USB 1 only has bandwdith of about 12Mb sec whilst usb 2 has about 480Mb ( if i remember correctly) sec so it can handle far more audio channels and midi channels. Latency shouldnt be too much of an issue unless your using all available USB ports on your computer in which case your just jamming the USB bus on the Motherboard and there is no real solution to that short of using a PCI based expansion card. That can still be problematic if you have a few things (such as wireless cards and audio cards) on the PCI bus as is can only go as fast as the slowest card present. Generally tho jamming the USB bus s hard and youd have a lot of stuff running on it all at once to do it.
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 6th July 2008 , 09:17 PM
Spectrum Idoliser

USB 3.0 is coming out in September/October time anyway, which'll reach a bandwidth of 600MB/s (or 4.8 Gbits/s), which is 10 times faster than USB 2.0. I'm not definitely sure if current hardware is compatible with it, and hardware made specifically made for it will likely be released as of next year, but it could be beneficial to buy small now, and then upgrade when the resources become available.
Old 7th July 2008 , 11:53 AM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by krykos View Post
USB 3.0 is coming out in September/October time anyway, which'll reach a bandwidth of 600MB/s (or 4.8 Gbits/s), which is 10 times faster than USB 2.0. I'm not definitely sure if current hardware is compatible with it, and hardware made specifically made for it will likely be released as of next year, but it could be beneficial to buy small now, and then upgrade when the resources become available.
By Jasus thats gonna be quick are they planning on changing the interface to the motherboard of USB 3.0 do you know? as if they are going to keep it the same i can see the potential for a lot of bottlenecks if they dont implement it correctly
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 7th July 2008 , 08:00 PM
Spectrum Idoliser

I'm not sure really. All I've heard is that Intel is optimising it so that there's a greater protocol efficiency whilst using less power.