DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers

DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers (/)
-   Computer Hardware (http://forums.dv247.com/computer-hardware/)
-   -   usb 2.0 midi interface cable? (http://forums.dv247.com/computer-hardware/166-usb-2-0-midi-interface-cable.html)

sigasa 5th July 2008 07:55 AM

usb 2.0 midi interface cable?

When it comes to usb midi interfaces, is it any more advantagous to have a usb 2.0 than to have a usb 1.1 interface? I'm thinking that usb 2.0 may solve sticky note problems, although they are only occasional. Anyone out there know about the ESI Midimate usb 2.0 interface cable or CME's equivalent offering?

JAYDMF 6th July 2008 08:07 PM

USB 1 only has bandwdith of about 12Mb sec whilst usb 2 has about 480Mb ( if i remember correctly) sec so it can handle far more audio channels and midi channels. Latency shouldnt be too much of an issue unless your using all available USB ports on your computer in which case your just jamming the USB bus on the Motherboard and there is no real solution to that short of using a PCI based expansion card. That can still be problematic if you have a few things (such as wireless cards and audio cards) on the PCI bus as is can only go as fast as the slowest card present. Generally tho jamming the USB bus s hard and youd have a lot of stuff running on it all at once to do it.

krykos 6th July 2008 09:17 PM

USB 3.0 is coming out in September/October time anyway, which'll reach a bandwidth of 600MB/s (or 4.8 Gbits/s), which is 10 times faster than USB 2.0. I'm not definitely sure if current hardware is compatible with it, and hardware made specifically made for it will likely be released as of next year, but it could be beneficial to buy small now, and then upgrade when the resources become available.

JAYDMF 7th July 2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krykos (Post 629)
USB 3.0 is coming out in September/October time anyway, which'll reach a bandwidth of 600MB/s (or 4.8 Gbits/s), which is 10 times faster than USB 2.0. I'm not definitely sure if current hardware is compatible with it, and hardware made specifically made for it will likely be released as of next year, but it could be beneficial to buy small now, and then upgrade when the resources become available.

By Jasus thats gonna be quick are they planning on changing the interface to the motherboard of USB 3.0 do you know? as if they are going to keep it the same i can see the potential for a lot of bottlenecks if they dont implement it correctly

krykos 7th July 2008 08:00 PM

I'm not sure really. All I've heard is that Intel is optimising it so that there's a greater protocol efficiency whilst using less power.