DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Computer Hardware
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Computer Hardware Audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI controllers & USB MIDI keyboards (not motherboards or system components)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th July 2008 , 04:00 PM

Default M-Audio

Hi,

I have a PC and would like to start recording some guitar, keyboard and vocals into my computer.

I would like a cost effective solution and this is just a trial for me.

I have been looking at M-audio fast track usb and pro. Are they any good, would you recommend anything esle?

Cheers,
G.
gilbertliddell is offline Offline
Old 5th July 2008 , 04:05 PM
Spectrum Idoliser

I have a Fast Track Pro, and ultimately, I'd say that it's a decent investment. My one came with some free drum loops, a 'lite' version of Ableton Live (which only lets you have 4 tracks at a time, which is annoying), and DSound GT Player Express (guitar multieffect processor which can be Rewired into Reason, or used as a VST).

I use it to run all the sound in/out of my PC, and so far there's been no problems (except some minor issue with my DAW due to software limitations). The line ins have good sound quality, though you typically have to set the sound to mono when you record in, otherwise it automatically pans.

The MIDI I/O ports will also come in useful if you decide to up your game a bit.
Old 6th July 2008 , 11:30 AM

I would like to recomend the novation nio its a easy to use and hi quality box for a great price. it has 2 headphone outs with there own volume and you can set them to have different mixs which is great. its small built like a brick and ive never had any problems with it. it comes free with a light version of ableton live 6. novation bassstation plugin and a few other programs.

Pete
Pete Carter is offline Offline
Last edited by Pete Carter; 6th July 2008 at 11:33 AM. . <
Old 6th July 2008 , 01:52 PM
Rave Digga

or another option would be try cakewalk sonar power 250 it contains sonar 6 full version lots of plug ins also it contains a brilliant usb audio interface.heres a video demo of studio 6 YouTube - SONAR Home Studio 6 & Music Creator 4 Overview

and heres a link too buy it if you think its what youd like ..Cakewalk USB Sonar Power Studio 250 at DV247.COM

or they do a fiurewire version for slightly more but its got extra features too ..

Cakewalk FireWire Sonar Powerstudio 660 at DV247.COM
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 6th July 2008 , 02:28 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the info. At the moment it's a toss up between

M-audio fast track usb
M-audio fast track pro
Edirol UA-25

I'm totally new to this, been looking at reviews on you tube etc but there are no comparison type reviews.
Old 6th July 2008 , 03:28 PM
Spectrum Idoliser

Between the Fast Track USB and the Fast Track Pro, I'd recommend the Pro as it contains pre-amps, whereas the USB doesn't. It also has MIDI, a lower latency (the lag time taken for the computer to interpret the incoming signal), and has a larger range of outputs.

As for the Edirol, it costs a bit more, but it's got analog limiters which reduce popping/overloading sounds. An example of this is where to sing/say a P sound because it relies on a sudden release of air, which can overload the signal from a mic. It also has zero latency, whilst the Fast Track has near-zero, reducing the chance of the recording going off-tempo. Also great for linking up a MIDI keyboard with a soft synth.

So, I'd say go for the Edirol.
Old 7th July 2008 , 10:51 AM

Cheers for the advice mate, the edirol it is :-)
Old 7th July 2008 , 11:57 AM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertliddell View Post
Cheers for the advice mate, the edirol it is :-)
Be careful you have to run quite high latencies to stop dropouts with this unit and it does not work in full duplex the same as most other boxs, with cubase its fine but ive heard reports of it being a bit of a dick if you use it with old Logic 5. also if you use it on a laptop watch out for the ground loops as if you have it in rec mode on the box the loops get captured with the audio
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 8th July 2008 , 11:51 AM

So would the Edirol be the best in this price range? Or is there any others that I should consider?

Thanks again.
Old 8th July 2008 , 12:14 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertliddell View Post
So would the Edirol be the best in this price range? Or is there any others that I should consider?

Thanks again.
Well i havent had that much experience with boxes in that range, dont get me wrong the edirol is good its just has its quirks, have a look for second hand units too and if your looking in that range the UA101 or UA1000 are much more reliable units as when they were released they retails at 380 and 450 respectively, ive had the FA101 and because that was firewire based it had some glitches but all the reviews on the UA101 say its damn good.
JAYDMF is offline Offline