DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Computer Hardware
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Computer Hardware Audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI controllers & USB MIDI keyboards (not motherboards or system components)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd June 2009 , 07:43 PM

"Am i being silly thinking of Cosmetics,"

I would say yes, a bit. These days modern plastics make things possible at prices we could only wish for years ago. Ok such things will not stand road use perhaps (my son has a Korg AX3G multifx box, very "Toys R Us" but it has some quite incredible sounds in it for a nifty!).

I could wish my Fast track pro were 20% bigger and had better knobs but that would probably double its price.

BTW ref the E-mu 0404. Started back to work today to find the chief designer has not one but two of the damn things hooked up in the lab!(needed an optical D/A, A/D 24bit 96kHz, not sure why). One is his own and he says it just gets on with the job very clean and quietly. They are also rather larger than I thought and a nice chunky unit altogether.

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 3rd June 2009 , 07:39 PM

Default got it now ( the Lexicon )

thanks for the quick response I will deff use U in Future, i Will give feedback of how it responds to my demands. Thankyou
ImpactProducer is offline Offline
Old 3rd June 2009 , 07:44 PM

Default cosmetics of soundcards

I am thinking of Cosmetics on My Audio Interface, Because allthough it will just Convert D - A , I will be using it as a monitor control, And I will be looking at it and touching it all day (Every day) so my interface has got to look and feel good,
Old 3rd June 2009 , 07:47 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRyan View Post

I will let Dave explain the reason why -18dB is a good idea. The floor is all yours
Already been done in a number of places (the search function really is your friend chaps): Recording Audio Levels
Old 14th June 2009 , 07:09 PM

Default My USB Audio Interface is caning my cpu/Asio,performance

I just got my Audio Interface home, - (Lexicon Ionix U22) - Within Half an hour, - I was gutted.

First I was dissapointed with the Asio Drivers, I could not select an Exact Buffer setting in Samples, there were just Preset setings where the buffers had been set for me, ,ie,- Slow, Medium, Fast ,Extra fast, it was cool if i was Recording ie, Low input Latencys, But for playing my Keyboard, The Output Latencys were Higher than what I could get with the Standard , ASIO DX full duplex Drivers, that came with Nuendo,

My Second Problem is that The Divers or the Interface seemed to be very unstable, - My CPU/ASIO , Perfomance, meter in Nuendo was all over the place, even when just idle, it was much higher than it was with the standard ASIO driver mentioned above, With 1, instance of Massive Loaded up ,On My favorite patch, it was nearly , 3/4 full,

very annoying,
This has scared me away from audio interfaces,
Do all specific ASIO drivers for Interfaces use a large amount of Processing Power,
Is it coz My PC is Rubbish,

Intel CELERON D , 2.8 ghz
1 gb ram,

Thankfully -- Digital Village -- Let me return it,

Im now thinking of buying a PCI , M audio , Delta or AudioFile,

I really Dont want to be Using up My Valuble PROCESSING Power running My Interface , I just want 24 bit Sound, and Low output Latency for playing my Keyboard,

any Sugesstions would be grately Appreciated,,

Paul
Last edited by ImpactProducer; 21st June 2009 at 06:00 PM. . <
Old 14th June 2009 , 11:06 PM

Hi I wondered if anyone here could reccommend a good interface for me.
I'm using a USB mixing desk into a laptop, with a pair of Rokit KRK RP5's as monitors, and running Cubase. I'm looking for a firewire one preferably, without too many inputs or outputs.
Also, are there any interfaces that have a USB input, and is it worth it, or should I just plug the desk straight into the laptop?

any help would be greatly appreciated!
happygrouch is offline Offline
Old 15th June 2009 , 06:37 AM

Good morning Happygrouch,

Your post is somewhat confusing. What is wrong with the usb mixer setup you have now (and, WTF IS it!)?

All such setups are 16bit only AFAIK and I would not want that restriction but you can easily get a usb AI to run it 24bit 44.1kHz. I don't really see much advantage in going for Fussywire if you only want a few ins and outs and FW can be problematic especially with laptops.

The only AI I have heard about with a usb INPUT was an Edirol device that ('twas said!) could daisy chain units. FW AI's usually have a second port for such linking but you only want a few ins and outs!?

All that said, the Behringer FCA202 gets a suprisingly good rep and at 70 or so is about as cheap as FW is going to get.

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 15th June 2009 , 03:30 PM

Cheers for the reply

The desk is a Peavey 14 USB, I need an Audio Interface mainly for the monitoring because its useless running it out of the internal sound card (noisey as hell!) I might run vocal mic's straight into it when recording too, when it doesnt need much mixing or effects from the desk..

I was going to to go for a firewire one because i heard it was better quality and the fact that in future i might buy a Mac Mini and have heard firewire works better...but if you're saying that theres not much difference then fair enough.

So do you think it's worth getting an interface with USB input to connect the desk to, or is that just complicating things..

Thanks for the advice though dude (Y)
happygrouch is offline Offline
Old 15th June 2009 , 05:01 PM

Still a bit bemused here "dude"!

You say "monitoring is noisy" is that direct from the laptop "card" (not suprised!) or via the usb loop back on the Peavey?

If the latter then I would give them a call because I have 3 usb AI's, a Behringer BCA2000, M-Audio fast track pro and a Behringer UCA202 and all give very acceptable output quality.

The biggest drawback to the mixer is ('cos it don't say otherwise!) that it is 16bit and probably 44.1/48kHz only. It really is far better, especially recording live stuff, to have the dynamic range "elbow room" that 24bits allow.

No, there is no intrinsic quality difference between usb and FWire. Fire wire scores over usb for large numbers of tracks going both in and out. Usb 2.0 can handle 16 inputs easily and 4 outs plus MIDI.

Whatever you go for get a written returns/refund agreement and if you DO decide to go Fussywire, get that signed in blood!

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 22nd September 2009 , 02:16 PM
DV Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Has anyone seen these?

Desktop Konnekt 6

I have a Mackie Onyx 400F, and it's racked in a case, and often gets in the way.

For monitoring at home and mixing, I'd like a little desktop interface, preferably with really, really good quality.

I quite like the look of the new TC Konnekt.

Any comments?
I have the Konnekt 6 and very pleased with it. Sound is excellent, best in it's class. If you can live with only 2 ins and outs this is an awesome little interface.
Old 22nd September 2009 , 02:35 PM
Pushing the Envelope

The new Steinberg/Yamaha desktop interface looks cool.
mutilatedlip is offline Offline
Old 15th February 2010 , 12:37 PM

Just got the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 (has FW) for 250 ... had a quick play with it last night and pleased to say the pre amps are so much better than the MAudio FW410 I was using

I got so fed up of driver problems with the M Audio (I use an iMac) .. I won't buy another piece of their kit, their support has been bloody awful
DangerMouse is offline Offline
Old 15th February 2010 , 02:57 PM
Forum Poet

The FW410 was not their finest hour - way too many problems with that box.

The Profire range is much improved and doesn't give any hassle.
Old 15th February 2010 , 03:58 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I got so fed up of driver problems with the M Audio (I use an iMac) .. I won't buy another piece of their kit, their support has been bloody awful
Yeah, I found M Audio to be worse than useless when I had problems with their kit. I only used their web support and when they did eventually get back to me it was to basically mug me off. The forums weren't much better, although there were a lot of really daft posts so I could understand them being a little pedantic about some things.
Old 27th October 2010 , 12:44 PM
Uber Member

Dredging this thread back up. Why? Because I want advice damn it! I Have worn the battery down on my iPhone (granted it's not difficult) perusing the interweb for interface inspiration. I have worked myself into a tizzy and need some perspective. My main cause of twirliness is the fact that I will never, ever be doing any recording. I will never need hiZ, phantom power or even pre-amps. Yet I would like to have a fair amount of stereo ins, for sound modules and the like as I am now very restricted on space and my patchbay into the 1 input of my 192 is too bulky and too fiddly. Any suggestions to get me thinking in a more orderly fashion?

Edit: Preheading a couple of 'this question has been asked, use the search function' posts I have, I contributed to most of the related topics too. But with new products emerging people may have new advice. So there.
Last edited by Wilty; 27th October 2010 at 01:16 PM. . <