DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Computer Hardware
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Computer Hardware Audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI controllers & USB MIDI keyboards (not motherboards or system components)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd July 2008 , 08:30 AM

Default Is my laptop upto the job?

Ive been looking at get a m-audio fast track ultra r8, (which needs a shorter name) M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R USB 2.0 Audio Interfac at DV247.COM . I was wondering if my laptop would get the best out of it. I have a toshiba L40 its has the following spec:

intel core duo 1.6
2gb ram
5400rpm sata hard drive
only 3 usb ports

Im using Ableton live 7 and the laptop is only used for music, i dont even go online with it.

I dont really have an other options for 8 XLR input interfaces because i dont have firewire.
Id like to get a Presonus firestudio but I've been told that i can't just buy a express card to add firewire because i will have latency problems? is this correct?

thanks for any help

Pete

oh and ps Can you expand the number of inputs on the m-audio fast track ultra 8r?
Pete Carter is offline Offline
Last edited by Pete Carter; 3rd July 2008 at 08:35 AM. . <
Old 3rd July 2008 , 09:31 AM
DV Staff

Yep, that spec should be fine mate....... you didn't say whether you had xp or vista tho..... that could make all the difference (vista is crap for music). You can't expand it but if you bought another one, i think you can link them though the software (don't quote me on that tho)
Hope it works for you........
Old 3rd July 2008 , 10:33 AM

Thanks mate, I had vista when i got the pc, but it locked up twice in the first 2 days i had the machine so i installed xp pro.

if anyone has any ideas about my firewire question it would be great as with the firestudio i could just add more pre's to expand it. im quite likely to want to do this in a year or so. I dont really know why a firewire card on a laptop should give problems but ive heard on lots of forums that some do?
Old 3rd July 2008 , 11:35 AM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Carter View Post
Thanks mate, I had vista when i got the pc, but it locked up twice in the first 2 days i had the machine so i installed xp pro.

if anyone has any ideas about my firewire question it would be great as with the firestudio i could just add more pre's to expand it. im quite likely to want to do this in a year or so. I dont really know why a firewire card on a laptop should give problems but ive heard on lots of forums that some do?

Id look into buying a PCMCIA (right order?) card but beware you need one that will be powered which from my experience are few and far between. Question is do you really need the 8 preamps ? or would an interface with gain controls be good enough if you just use xlr to jack cables ? The other option is to get an interface with jack or adat inputs and use something like the behringer ADA or something like this and send the inputs via ADAT. If you have the cash the Octapre is an awesome piece of gear for such occasions.

The only other piece of gear i know of that has 8 preamps is the Tascam 1641 but this only has 4 outs

Edit: if you want soemthing that is fool proof and are prepared to fork out the MOTU gear is top notch, something like the 828 (i think thats the usb version) although with a set of Pres to go with your looking at around 500 ish but you cant really go far wrong with MOTU
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Last edited by JAYDMF; 3rd July 2008 at 11:38 AM. . <
Old 3rd July 2008 , 11:46 AM

the laptop doesnt have a pcmica slot (think thats right?) it has the replacement called a express slot. there are a number of cards avalable but there very expensive. i think ill just go for the m-audio. i have a novation nio at the moment thats great, but i need to record a drum kit. plus 400 is about my limit on money too.
Old 3rd July 2008 , 12:11 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Carter View Post
the laptop doesnt have a pcmica slot (think thats right?) it has the replacement called a express slot. there are a number of cards avalable but there very expensive. i think ill just go for the m-audio. i have a novation nio at the moment thats great, but i need to record a drum kit. plus 400 is about my limit on money too.
ahh some confusion here, i wasnt talking about using a direct card for audio but you can pick up cards that will fit into either of those slots that will give you firewire ports. like i said you just have to find the right one as it need to supply power, if you use a 4 pin firewire card your going to get a ground loop if both the audio card and laptop are plugged in, this is usually only present in the monitor mix on most card (which is quite strange) but some do pick it up when recording.
Old 3rd July 2008 , 12:13 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYDMF View Post
ahh some confusion here, i wasnt talking about using a direct card for audio but you can pick up cards that will fit into either of those slots that will give you firewire ports. like i said you just have to find the right one as it need to supply power, if you use a 4 pin firewire card your going to get a ground loop if both the audio card and laptop are plugged in, this is usually only present in the monitor mix on most card (which is quite strange) but some do pick it up when recording.
Edit : just thought if your recording drums and thats why you need more pres look at the Edirol UA1000 as this gives you 4 universal jacks but also gives you gain controls over the rest of the inputs (which are jacks). I think theyve stopped making them but you can find them on Ebay and theyre rackmountable.