DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 4th January 2011 , 04:14 PM
Sound Guru

Post Bass effects pedals?

So... this is something I don't know much about.

Some effects pedals are "specifically for bass" - well - as specifically as one can make a specify a piece of kit anyway. (example: the original Fender Bassman amp sounds awesome with Telecasters, go figure).

Anyway, what's the advantage, if any, to these?

A graphic EQ, for example, I can understand - obviously the frequencies on offer will be tailored to usefulness when paired with the freq. range of a bass guitar.

But what about limiters, bass chorus pedals, etc? Is there some advantage to using them over and above the guitar variants? Does it also have to do with the frequency response of the pedal or something, is there more to it, or is it just a huge marketing gimmick?

Any info welcome of course!
Old 4th January 2011 , 06:51 PM
Mic Check 1!

They are theoretically frequency dependent. The bass wah certainly works better than a guitar one. I gotta say though, I've rarely found effects on bass to be useful (and I've owned and tried everything from bass balls to dipthong). Bass > compressor > amp = done.
Old 4th January 2011 , 07:43 PM
Sound Guru

That's basically the reason I know nothing of this - I've never bothered to explore it, because as you say, a clean chain is where the money is. I'm strictly studio, but for me it's bass - Radial DI - pre - dbx160 on the insert - DAW - and IK Ampeg SVX or Softube Bass Amp Room (or Sansamp for strictly dirt in Pro Tools).

(I do want a REDDI someday.)

What compressor do you use in a live situation? Stompbox? I've got a Boss CS2 and an Ibanez CP9 here... not really tried them though as the dbx does most of the heavy lifting. What are your faves in the studio?

OT, a new Am Std P-bass will be here tomorrow... maple neck, as it should have, in black. I plan to change out the guard to tortoiseshell but other than that it shall be stock for life. Rather excited.
Old 4th January 2011 , 08:31 PM
Mic Check 1!

What I use live depends a bit on the gig. I sold my touring rig some time ago and am much more compact nowadays. For live its usually just bass (usually a vintage p bass (black) with a maple jazz bass neck) into a ebs multicomp into my ampeg svt3 (which used to be my back u (How things change eh)

In the studio, depends on the track, for fat and round its the retro 176, aggressive could be an 1176 or bac 500. Sometimes I might go la2a. Mostly 1176 I guess.
Old 4th January 2011 , 11:17 PM
Uber Member

Some Bass effecs i've heard are unusable crazy sounds that seem pretty pointless.
Piano is offline Offline