DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 20th January 2010 , 07:04 PM
Uber Member

Default Recording Bass. Effects pedals, pre-amps

Hi. I've been playing the bass quite a bit recently for recording. Finding it hard though to get exactly the sort of sound i'm looking for just plugging straight into my 16 track and using the built in pre-amps. I'm not looking for any crazy distorted effects or anything like that. Basically i want the bass sound to be clean, and a nice thick warm sound. Kind of fat but not over powering. I've been trying to get a decent sound using the EQ settings on the 16 track but still can't quite get the sound i'm looking for. Can anyone suggest any pedal or preamp which might be able to help me? Nothing fancy, just a nice clean thick sounding bass sound.

Thanks in advance. My budget is about 100 quid, can't really afford to go over that. Less if possible.
Piano is offline Offline
Last edited by Piano; 20th January 2010 at 07:19 PM. . <
Old 20th January 2010 , 07:10 PM
Sound Guru

What bass are you using?
Old 20th January 2010 , 07:18 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
What bass are you using?
Again, nothing fancy. Washburn XB120 (Active electronics).
Piano is offline Offline
Old 20th January 2010 , 07:21 PM
Uber Member

I've read a bit on here about DI boxes. What are these and what do they do? I've looked at a few things on DV website but i don't really know what to buy to fit my needs. So any help will be appreciated.

Been looking at the electro Harmonix Bass metaphors. In my price range, just not sure if it does what i want it to do. Says it serves as a DI box aswell.
Piano is offline Offline
Last edited by Piano; 20th January 2010 at 07:25 PM. . <
Old 20th January 2010 , 08:09 PM
Sound Guru

A DI box matches the impedance of the instrument to the impedance of a preamp so you can plug it in directly. Many soundcards feature "instrument" input switches which effectively do the same thing (although, a very high-quality DI can be better still, but you're looking at 100+ just for that alone!)

The first issue is the bass itself, tbh - in my experience active basses don't record as well as passive basses, especially when recorded direct (ie, no amp involved).

The Metaphors is basically like a "channel strip" optimised for bass - I've never used one though. It may help, maybe see if you can demo one.
Old 20th January 2010 , 08:51 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
A DI box matches the impedance of the instrument to the impedance of a preamp so you can plug it in directly. Many soundcards feature "instrument" input switches which effectively do the same thing (although, a very high-quality DI can be better still, but you're looking at 100+ just for that alone!)

The first issue is the bass itself, tbh - in my experience active basses don't record as well as passive basses, especially when recorded direct (ie, no amp involved).

The Metaphors is basically like a "channel strip" optimised for bass - I've never used one though. It may help, maybe see if you can demo one.
Wish i had known that! I'm sure i'll figure something out. Bass isn't really my instrument of choice, only bought it for recording really. I've actually noticed there is quite a few Bass modelling effects on the 16 track which i didn't know it had, wether they're any good is another thing though.

Cheers for the info.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 20th January 2010 , 09:32 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:

T3, as ever, is on the money. FWIW the best low cost DI I've used is the BSS AR133. I never use EQ going in on with bass (rarely with anything but never on bass) as the phasing often makes a bass even more hollow. Good signal of course starts at the source. I also far prefer a passive bass. You could of course buy yourself a pair of seymour duncan quarter pounders and retro fit them to you bass. That may be the lowest cost approach of all for that 'phat' bass.

Good luck!
Old 23rd January 2010 , 01:01 PM
Uber Member

The fact that i thought i was getting good value when i bought that active bass recently probably shows my lack of knowledge, especially where bass is concerned...i only ever pick it up to record. I was going to buy a passive aswell. I'll have to get by though and i'm assuming it's not impossible to get a decent sound when recording with an active bass???

I've been looking at something which could be a good solution to my problem, or atlease might. It's the tech21 sansamp para driver. This thing sounds (from what i've heard) really good! Little more than i wanted to spend but worth that extra cash i think, just have to wait a little longer to get something else.

Anyone on here have this?
Piano is offline Offline
Old 23rd January 2010 , 01:13 PM
Uber Member

In relation to what trev was saying above about changing pickups. Would it be possible for me to fit passive pickups to my bass which currently has active?
Piano is offline Offline
Old 23rd January 2010 , 04:13 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano View Post
In relation to what trev was saying above about changing pickups. Would it be possible for me to fit passive pickups to my bass which currently has active?
yes though you'll probably have to change the pots too. As I said, Seymour Duncan quarter pounders are great for a big phat bass sound!