DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Acoustic Treatment
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Acoustic Treatment Optimise acoustics in your studio environment for accurate mixing - the best advice here..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd August 2012 , 05:53 PM
Uber Member

Default New Room advice

Ok guys, i now have measurements and a rough scale drawing i drew up to see if you can give me some advice.

The room is a sort of strange shape as you can see. I think the particular problem is the indent to the left of my listening position. I have put a broken like across where it is. What i am thinking is to block that indent off some how because if i don't, the room becomes un symetrical and i have no idea how to set things up but what do i block that part off with? I'm not handy with woodwork or anything like that. Is there a cheap easy way of doing it?

I have also put broken lines where i am planning to put my bass traps.

You will also see there is an indent behind me where the window is. My plan is to buy 2 monster bass traps from GIK and stand them there, flush with the wall, almost as if the window indent is not there. Basically I am bridging the gap with bass traps. Will that work? Am i thinking along the right lines?

Can you suggest a cheap and easy solution of what to do with the other indent because I have been racking my brains and can't think of anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a rough drawing of the room.

Piano is offline Offline
Old 2nd August 2012 , 08:06 PM
Uber Member

What if i stand 2 bass traps side by side to block off the indent to the left of my listening position, where i have put the broken line, to block off that indent. Would that work? Almost like using the bass traps as a partition, only it wont go from floor to ceiling.

I can order 4 bass traps, with stands, from GIK to do block off both the window indent and the indent to my left, leaving me with a nice rectangular shape to work in.

I just need to know if it will work ok or if i need to think of something else.
Piano is offline Offline
Last edited by Piano; 2nd August 2012 at 08:08 PM. . <
Old 2nd August 2012 , 09:31 PM
Mic Check 1!

You are on the right lines matey. I'd get a 30mm sheet of mdf and cover up your indent with it. Maybe turn it into a super heavyweight cupboard.

As an aside, I'm in the middle of tearing down my old control room at the moment so will shortly be selling loads of trapping.
Old 2nd August 2012 , 09:44 PM
Uber Member

Thanks man.

Yep, I think I'll definitely need to shut that indent off somehow. Will have to get someone more handy with wood than me to do it though unless i can think of something else to block it that I can do myself. Just wanted to make certain this room was going to be usable.

Let me know what trapping you have for sale when you're ready to sell, I'll hang off from buying from GIK for now. What you have might be all i need and save me a few bucks.

I already have 8 panels here but i could be doing with more as this room is bigger and i need at least 2 panels, preferably panels that are mountable on stands somehow, to block off that window at the back of the room but I'll probably need at least 4 more panels in total.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 2nd August 2012 , 10:57 PM

GIK are known for being very good with giving advice to customers but their traps are a bit expensive compared to home made traps. I expect Trevor's spare trapping will be a good buy for you.

My only thought on your drawaing that Trevor didn't specifically mention is the pencilled in position for the 2 monster traps by the window alcove. Depending on the actual floor to ceiling height would be to place the traps so there is only as much room behind them (ie. between them and the window) as they are deep. My understanding (which is open to correction) is that that would be the optimum positioning.
Lester is offline Offline
Old 3rd August 2012 , 06:11 PM

That alcove is a perfect size for a cupboard/storage and would give you an excellent place to store your other bits and bobs. The most difficult part of doing it would be hanging a door other than that there's nothing to it. On second thoughts you wouldn't even need to hang a door on it just set up some shelving equal to it's width, really easy to do even for a novice, and then fill it with your spare gear or whatever hanging the traps at the mirror point when needed.

------
weaver is offline Offline
Old 3rd August 2012 , 07:17 PM
Mic Check 1!

You need to panel off the indent/alcove to the left with something solid. If you just put trapping or bookshelves in you will not have a symmetrical room and it will play havoc with your mix position.
Old 4th August 2012 , 08:47 AM
Uber Member

I'll try and get some mdf then. This should be fun! I wasn't blessed with even the most basic of handy man skills. Does it matter is the job is a bit half arsed, as long as that gap is covered?
Piano is offline Offline
Old 4th August 2012 , 08:59 AM
Uber Member

This may sound daft but what if I was to place 2 wardrobes side by side to fill that indent? The only problem is they wouldn't go right to the ceiling but I'm sure I could find something to full the gap that's left at the top. Would that not just be similar to putting up mdf of building a cupboard?
Piano is offline Offline
Old 4th August 2012 , 09:35 AM

I imagine it like this: a panel of 30mm MDF covering the whole aperture with a door panel cut out of it, leaving enough space for the (grey) corner bass trap, supported behind and held to the walls care of some 2x2s.

Given the tools needed to cut out a door from a sheet of MDF and your professed skill level it might be simpler to get someone to do it for you.

Trevor's recommendation of 30mm MDF means it will have a lot of mass and won't vibrate anywhere near as much as wardrobe doors.
Lester is offline Offline
Old 5th August 2012 , 12:59 PM
Uber Member

Just had a joiner I know in measuring up the job, he said its an easy fix and will do it for cheap! Thanks for the advice fellas, great help as ever!
Piano is offline Offline
Old 6th August 2012 , 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
You need to panel off the indent/alcove to the left with something solid. If you just put trapping or bookshelves in you will not have a symmetrical room and it will play havoc with your mix position.

I rarely disagree with your advice Trev but on this one I have to. It's a domestic environment and therefore is never going to be ideal. To block that area off completely might seem optimal to you in terms of shape, incidentally it's not, however it is not practical in terms of space. It's a complete waste of the available space in the room.

I should have been clearer when I mentioned shelving. What I was suggesting was that the shelves should be the full length and depth of the alcove and come out to be flush with the wall to the left of his mixing position. His traps would then be in front of those parallel with the same wall. People manage to produce decent recordings in domestic spaces which are far more awkward shapes, some even 75% glass, provided they address problem areas.

Personally I would have faced the area off hung a door and put in some shelving for gear storage. No it's not optimal, on this we both agree but it was a compromise since Chris did say he is not the DIY type. The lack of symmetry will still be a problem even with MDF or other membrane type materials in that area as at this point resonance of the material comes into play so care is needed in selecting these. Trapping a room as you know is done to control problem frequencies not for sound proofing which is more or less mass dependent so he's creating a reflection point in front of the space regardless whether it is filled sealed off or not is immaterial in this case.

------
weaver is offline Offline
Old 6th August 2012 , 07:05 AM
Mic Check 1!

I'm well aware domestic rooms are always a compromise and I agree with your last paragraph entirely. Indeed, that's basically what I envisaged but with MDF. I misunderstood your bookshelf fronted by an absorber. If he had parallel absorbers it would be better than nothing, but that wouldnt be better than an mdf wall IMO. We'll have to agree to differ on that.
Old 6th August 2012 , 11:41 AM
Tarnce Monkey

Why not make a bifold rockwool gobo with shelves behind it? With a handy chippy you could run a rail on the floor and ceiling and have it open and close like a bifold door.
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 6th August 2012 , 07:03 PM
Uber Member

Managed to get a joiner i know to do the Job for me, all I need to do is buy the materials.

Just going to have it shut off completely. Then once i get moved in, I can arrange my acoustic treatment where it should be. Going to need a bit more than I already have mind you but luckily Trev will be selling some shortly, so that works out nicely!

The good thing about this new room is the extra space I'll have and that means i can leave a decent gap behind my work area like there should be.
Piano is offline Offline