DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Acoustic Treatment
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Acoustic Treatment Optimise acoustics in your studio environment for accurate mixing - the best advice here..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2012 , 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
I'm well aware domestic rooms are always a compromise and I agree with your last paragraph entirely. Indeed, that's basically what I envisaged but with MDF. I misunderstood your bookshelf fronted by an absorber. If he had parallel absorbers it would be better than nothing, but that wouldnt be better than an mdf wall IMO. We'll have to agree to differ on that.

I don't want to sound contrary for the sake of it but no Trev we won't as that would mean that on some fundamental level we would agree on this topic which we quite clearly don’t. You might not feel that the following is relevant but stick with it to it's conclusion as it is very much related and this is before we even get close to wave theory etc etc.

The first law of thermodynamics tells us all we need to know about this subject. It says, in non-nuclear events, energy is neither created nor destroyed. There is nothing to absorb it. It can, therefore, as you know, only bounce back.

We are discussing how to control this bouncing back in this particular room. We have to be extremely careful with what materials, and how, we chose to close this space off OR simply don't close it off at all and deal with the reflections (echo) and diffraction. Else we could end up with a situation similar to that of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge which is elementary physics taught to all O'grade, CSE students. Although there were other factors involved in the case sited the wind (in our case low frequency sound waves) hit exactly the right speed to cause the bridge to oscillate at it's natural structural frequency eventually destroying the bridge (our closed off MDF wall).

Granted the likelihood of the wall falling down are relatively slim however the problems caused by a vibrating structure in the mixing environment are not at all helpful. This is why I would never advocate closing off the space to someone of Chris inexperience in building, wave theory or physics.

Sorry Trev but on this we just do not agree.

------
weaver is offline Offline
Old 6th August 2012 , 08:52 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
[snip]Sorry Trev but on this we just do not agree.
On this much we agree!
Old 7th August 2012 , 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
On this much we agree!

Ha ha ha touche'.

------
weaver is offline Offline