DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Acoustic Treatment
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Acoustic Treatment Optimise acoustics in your studio environment for accurate mixing - the best advice here..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2012 , 02:33 PM

Default Acoustic Traps for my room. Some questions

Hello,

after some posts and replies on "Pro Audio section" about the display of my stuff (desk, monitors, etc), i have everything decided and ready to start buying what i need to do my own Acoustic Panels.

the measures will be:

10/12 Acoustic Panels - 135cms x 60cms x 6 cms

4 Bass Traps - 135cms x 60cms x 10 cms

my room is 12m2, 3.80m x 2.80m x 2.80 (height)
i'm putting all me gear in front of the wall that as 2.80, that way i can have the speakers shooting down the long wall.

now i have some question

can i put my Acoustic Panels along the wall, with 1cm of space between? i'm thinking of placing them with some nice velcro.
i'm placing my basstraps 70cms from the floor and 80cms from the ceiling, each one having 135cms. it's the best way to do it?
do the structure for traps needs to stay open on the back, without any covering like the front? and the sides of it needs to be open as well?

thanks in advance.
mandioca is offline Offline
Last edited by mandioca; 22nd January 2012 at 02:43 PM. . <
Old 22nd January 2012 , 04:07 PM
Mic Check 1!

If you could leave an inch between traps and wall that would be better.

If you could make at least the corner traps go floor to ceiling that would be significantly better

you cant put wood on the back and as you cant see material there's no point putting material on the back so, all in all, better to leave them open at the back.
Old 22nd January 2012 , 07:25 PM

ok.
3 basstraps will stay on the corners i have doors, so they need to be movable. i need to cover the back. can i just use the same fabric type to cover the back?

also, i can use the same type of fabric to cover all traps in my room, right?
Old 22nd January 2012 , 08:12 PM
Mic Check 1!

yup - all fine
Old 22nd January 2012 , 08:46 PM

ok. as soon as i have news, i'll definitely post it here

thanks for all your help.
Old 22nd January 2012 , 10:24 PM

how can i measure acoustic in my room?
REW4 is too much complex for my knowledge, i'm affraid... i don't understand a lot of tecnical terms. my english is nice but not that good lol

any good/simple program that i can use with mic?

just want to know the exactly spots to cover with Acoustic Panels, beside the first reflections points.
Last edited by mandioca; 22nd January 2012 at 10:45 PM. . <
Old 1st February 2012 , 09:19 PM
Mic Check 1!

REW (http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/), Fuzzmeasure or something similar will get you there (you can get a free evaluation of Fuzzmeasure). Pair that with a cheap behringer measurement mic (ECM8000) and you'll have all you need to work out what is going on. Do yourself a waterfall graph from your listening position and you'll be able to see where your biggest issues are. Move the position of your speakers and see the huge differences in your waterfall. Through trial an error get your speakers into the position where you have the least problems. When you get to the point that you've done all of the standard stuff (trapping all corners, rear wall absorption/diffusion, front wall distance, mirror points) you really need to get technical if you are going to improve things. You may find you need to build some tuned traps to hit a particular frequency if you have a particular problem, or you may not. Diffusion will be a problem due to the size of your room. Tbh the size of your room will always work against you. Anything much less than a 20foot front to back space is going to cause you problems. It's then just about how much you want to do to fix them.

Piano, this goes for you too. Sorry it took me so long to get to it.
Old 27th February 2012 , 09:22 PM

Feel free tp post your waterfall graphs on here. I am sure someone will be able to help
sheggs is offline Offline
Old 10th March 2012 , 01:48 PM
Uber Member

Thanks for the info and advice Trev. I missed this thread before so i had no idea you replied.

Much appreciated!
Piano is offline Offline