DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Acoustic Treatment
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Acoustic Treatment Optimise acoustics in your studio environment for accurate mixing - the best advice here..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th September 2011 , 11:18 AM

Default Converting a garage

At the moment, at the back of my garden sits a old 1 brick thick garage with a corrugated asbestos roof. Feeling quite sorry for it, so ive decided that im going to convert it into my studio - my only issue is sound pollution. Ive got an awkward neighbor who lives to complain about everything...

Ive done some reading on the net, theres so many methods of sound proofing. I need to make sure its sound proof enough for a live band to rehearse but still keeping costs down.

This is what ive come up with, any thing i should do differently as this is my first time doing this kinda of work..

[house brick:current wall][stud frame with rockwool inserted][plasterboard][corkboard][carpet]

all corners will be taken away with rockwool beams/frames.. the ceiling will be treated similar to the walls and the floor is concentre? So just lay down some thick carpet?

also bricking up all the windows and back double door.. the side door will be converted into a double door entry system
clubriot is offline Offline
Old 28th September 2011 , 11:30 AM

You will I am sure get lots of constructive advice on soundproofing, all I will say on the subject is that unless it is a VERY big garage you are either going to end up with a very small studio or very poor sound isolation.

But my main concern is powering the place, you must get proper professional advice re loadings and earthing arrangements. Running a Screwfix HandyReel out as and when is NOT on!

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 28th September 2011 , 11:40 AM

Hey

The electrics arent a problem, got a family friend whos an electrician.
I can afford to loose about 12" per wall... and still have the room i need

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
You will I am sure get lots of constructive advice on soundproofing, all I will say on the subject is that unless it is a VERY big garage you are either going to end up with a very small studio or very poor sound isolation.

But my main concern is powering the place, you must get proper professional advice re loadings and earthing arrangements. Running a Screwfix HandyReel out as and when is NOT on!

Dave.
Old 28th September 2011 , 10:13 PM
Mic Check 1!

A wriggly tin roof is not going to give you very much isolation at all. You can reduce the noise by layering plasterboard and limp mass membrane but without serious mass you will still have a lot of sound getting out.
Old 28th September 2011 , 10:56 PM

It's not tin Trev' it is asbestos which is even worse since he can't just rip it off and skip it then replace it with better.

All work will have to be done from underneath as I understand proper disposal of asbestos is very expensive.

Dave. (don't forget some data/phone lines down from the house)
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 29th September 2011 , 06:05 AM
Mic Check 1!

My bad. Didn't read properly.

I gotta say, my worry is you could spend quite a lot of money on this only to find you can't attenuate the volume coming out enough and it's unusable. Fingers crossed for ya.
Old 29th September 2011 , 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
My bad. Didn't read properly.

I gotta say, my worry is you could spend quite a lot of money on this only to find you can't attenuate the volume coming out enough and it's unusable. Fingers crossed for ya.
No worries Trev' . I did think post posting that you might have meant "tin" as a generic term for crap!

But yeah, could costalot for not very good.
Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 29th September 2011 , 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
A wriggly tin roof is not going to give you very much isolation at all. You can reduce the noise by layering plasterboard and limp mass membrane but without serious mass you will still have a lot of sound getting out.
The roof is being sorted professionally as soon as ive cleared it. Having a flat roof put on. Someone suggested once the roof is done, create a room (leaving a 4-5inch gap) within a room.. and filling that gap with sand to create more mass. then going for the stud wall with rockwall then plasterboard.. the ceiling wil also be treated the same, apart from the sand..