DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Acoustic Treatment
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Acoustic Treatment Optimise acoustics in your studio environment for accurate mixing - the best advice here..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th July 2011 , 12:12 PM
Uber Member

Default Looking at a new property today

Going to be taking a look at a property today. Was initially planning to move next year but a good deal has come up and I don't know if i want to pass it up.

It's a converted barn in the country. There are 3 bedroom and one is going to be my studio. I don't know what sort of sizes they are yet though. What sort of size/shape should i be looking for ideally? Are there any particular sizes/shapes to avoid? What about the walls? Is there any material that might cause me problems? What about if the rooms ceilings slant in like loft rooms ceilings sometimes do, Would that be an issue? I don't think they do but it's worth asking anyway just in case.

Cheers for any advice!
Piano is offline Offline
Old 29th July 2011 , 12:46 PM

This post at Gearslutz is a good place to check that you have thought about a few of the basics. It is better than anything I could have suggested.
Lester is offline Offline
Old 29th July 2011 , 04:39 PM
Mic Check 1!

Essentially square = bad and if it isnt rectangular it is preferable that it be symmetrical.
Old 30th July 2011 , 06:54 AM
Uber Member

Cheers guys. Didn't take it anyway. House was nice but it was a little more isolated than i thought. Winter would have been a real problem for getting to work etc and it was Oil heating too which i don't really want.

Never mind, I'll stay put until i find something more suitable! No Rush
Piano is offline Offline
Old 8th August 2011 , 05:34 PM
Uber Member

Now decided to take that property. Pretty much essential we get a bigger place now we are expecting a new arrival. It's a remote spot but hopefully the winter doesn't cause us too many problems! We definitely need 3 bedrooms. One for us, one for the baby and of course one for my gear I already know the room i'm taking for that. Seems suitable enough, bigger than what i have and more rectangular than what i have now. The ceilings slant in slightly at either end but hopefully that doesn't cause me any problems. I'll post some pics when i move in and maybe you guys can suggest where i can improve things with regards to the layout of that room.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 8th August 2011 , 06:20 PM

A decision is definitely progress. Well done!

I don't know what plans you have already dreamt up for your new studio but I have noticed often on Gearslutz that when someone has a room with a sloping ceiling that the professionals suggest trying to set up facing the slope, even when there is one at either end of the room.
Old 8th August 2011 , 09:16 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
A decision is definitely progress. Well done!

I don't know what plans you have already dreamt up for your new studio but I have noticed often on Gearslutz that when someone has a room with a sloping ceiling that the professionals suggest trying to set up facing the slope, even when there is one at either end of the room.
If my memory serves me correctly, if i was to set up facing either of the slopes, i wouldn't be firing down the length of the room as is always supposed to be best. The slopes are on the length sides of the room of you know what i mean. So i would be working width ways. I'll try both ways though to see which is best. The slopes aren't too dramatic so i may be ok.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 8th August 2011 , 09:29 PM
Mic Check 1!

if you are firing in parallel with the slopes you'll need to treat them differently.
Old 9th August 2011 , 06:59 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
if you are firing in parallel with the slopes you'll need to treat them differently.
Would i be best doing that though? Firing down the length of the room means the slopes will be to both my left and right. If i try what lester suggests, it means i'll have a slope infront and behind me but i wont be firing down the length of the room. I don't know which would be best. The one other good thing is i now have enough room to leave a decent gap between the back of my speakers and the walls and they also wont be pushed into a corner now. I'm not sure what size gap i should be leaving behind the speakers mind you. I'm not moving in until october 1st, so i'll set up how i think will be best and post some pics then i'll take it from there.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 14th August 2011 , 02:30 PM
Uber Member

Ok, Here's the pic of the new room i will be using in my new house. As you will see, the ceiling slants in on one side. It's not too dramatic a slope but if you guys can tell me the best way to set up in this room and how i should go about treating it. That would be good. What i can't do is set up with my back to the slope (by that i mean the monitors facing the slope and my back to it) because there is a radiator in the way and the door is on that wall. I could set up with me facing the slope (and the monitors facing away from it) but it would mean setting up in front of the bottom window but if it was best i would do that. The only problem with doing it that way though is i wouldn't be firing down the length of the room. If i fire down the length of the room, the slope would be running down the right hand side of me.

The side with the slope and the wall across from it and around 9 feet 8 inches in length. And the width walls are around 8 and a half feet.

The wall you see the (length of) the scabby bed on (not mine btw lol) is the wall i was going to set up against with my monitors facing out from that wall. The desk wouldn't be in the corner like the bed of course. What do you guys think?

Here's the pics. Sorry they're so huge. I have no idea how to resize them.

Edit. Lester kindly posted better sized pics for me below.
Piano is offline Offline
Last edited by Piano; 15th August 2011 at 07:20 AM. . <
Old 14th August 2011 , 04:00 PM

These may be easier to view.

Old 14th August 2011 , 04:46 PM
Uber Member

Thanks Lester, that's much better!
Piano is offline Offline
Old 15th August 2011 , 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano View Post
... tell me the best way to set up in this room and how i should go about treating it.
Work out how much soundproofing (isolation is the proper term) you need, both to stop you bothering anyone else and vice versa. Then think about the best layout for the room and test and acoustically treat as required.

Quote:
... facing the slope ... i wouldn't be firing down the length of the room.
... 9 feet 8 inches ... 8 and a half feet.
If i fire down the length of the room, the slope would be running down the right hand side of me.
While shooting down the length of the room would be preferred, your dimensions are not so very different so if shooting across the shorter distance provides better symmetry and a better layout that may be the way forward. I think room symmetry is more desirable than shooting down the long walls. The issue with closer rear walls is to do with reflected bass, which can be dealt with by using deeper traps on the back wall (or diffusors but usually these seem to be recommended only when there is more than 3 metres between the listening position and the back wall).

I would guess that once you are set up you would not reorientate yourself 90 so I think that getting professional advice now is better than guessing which is the better wall to face. There's Trevor here on DV247, FrankGIK if he's still around and others, over on Gearslutz you will find John Brandt, Glenn from GIK and quite a few others whose knowledge of acoustics is staggering.

Quote:
What do you guys think?
I recommend a little study time each day so that you can gather enough knowledge to be able to discern wise advice from misleading opinions. And be aware that my advice may be incorrect; I am still learning.
Old 15th August 2011 , 03:44 PM
Mic Check 1!

There's a thread on gearslutz about treating an A frame room. Take a look at that as a starting point. Difficult to say without seeing the room but I think I would set up so the slopes are running front to back in the room. If you have a sloping wall behind you it is going to fire everything right back at your listening position. Other than that its the same stuff as usual. Treat all corners of the room with superchunks, treat mirror points with panels (including the points above your head), treat the back wall pretty heavily.

Am a bit bombed right now. Should be clearer by next weekend so drop me a pm and remind me then and I'll take a closer look.
Old 15th August 2011 , 06:56 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
There's a thread on gearslutz about treating an A frame room. Take a look at that as a starting point. Difficult to say without seeing the room but I think I would set up so the slopes are running front to back in the room. If you have a sloping wall behind you it is going to fire everything right back at your listening position. Other than that its the same stuff as usual. Treat all corners of the room with superchunks, treat mirror points with panels (including the points above your head), treat the back wall pretty heavily.

Am a bit bombed right now. Should be clearer by next weekend so drop me a pm and remind me then and I'll take a closer look.
Well it's not actually an A frame room Trev. There is a slope on one side of the room and it doesn't slope in from the middle of the ceiling. It slopes in from under a quarter of the way in the ceiling (roughly). You should be able to see from the pics above that lester posted for me. The other side of the room is normal with no slope. It seems pretty clear that i am better either facing the one slope there is, or facing away from it as opposed to having it running down one side of me. Only thing this means is i wont be firing down the length of the room. The length and width aren't really all that different though, the room is ALMOST square but not quite. So the decision now is whether i set up with the slope in front of my listening position or behind me. If the slope behind me is best, it might be a little awkward because the wall across that i would be setting up on has a radiator on it and the door is on that side too so i don't know if there is enough room, i'll have to check at the weekend when i'm down there again. I could set up with the slope infront of the listening position, pretty much above me but i don't know if that would be good or not.

If you get time, have a look at the pics Lester posted for me and see if you can work out what would be best. No rush. Thank you!
Piano is offline Offline