DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Acoustic Treatment
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Acoustic Treatment Optimise acoustics in your studio environment for accurate mixing - the best advice here..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th May 2011 , 06:57 PM

Default Will my treatment be paying off?

Ok so I've recently bought my first set of tiles to treat my room with. Next will be bass traps, then diffusers etc.

The thing is, my room is pretty awkward. It's not symmetrical one bit. It's not even a perfect box/rectangular room so I find my self stood scratching my head thinking what the best placement is.. now I've already gone ahead with a placement, but I'm not confident that I'm going to be getting decent results, just because of the room I'm in.. is there a fix? or is it just a bad room to work with.

I've attached various photos of the room so you have an idea of what I'm working with

would appreciate any help
thank you

P.S. Ignore the boomy 2.1 speakers, ordered my VXT8s before the weekend
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo1.jpg (93.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg photo2.jpg (94.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Shot1.jpg (11.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Shot2.jpg (11.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Shot3.jpg (12.1 KB, 11 views)
AB Project is offline Offline
Old 31st May 2011 , 12:01 AM
Mic Check 1!

Do you have a huge problem with flutter echo?
Old 31st May 2011 , 11:33 AM

I wouldn't say a huge problem no but there's still echo from a clap, as for what i hear it's difficult to say as the 2.1s will give off a ridiculous amount of sub bass.. I will be getting my KRK VXT8s delivered in the next week or so
Old 31st May 2011 , 12:09 PM

Hello AB Project and welcome to the forum. I am still learning about acoustic treatment. I found one of the most encouraging comments to be from FrankGIK. He said, somewhere on the forum, "Treat the room you have, not the one you don't."

With such a large desk I wonder whether you have plans to somehow avoid unwanted reflections off the desk from your monitors, or indeed whether the distance is so small that it would not matter.

Where are you intending to install the bass traps and reflectors? What is (or will be) on the ceiling?

Because of the non-rectangular shape of your room, would it be better to have traps on the back wall, reflectors on the back wall, gobos free standing just behind your chair, or a combination of these?
Lester is offline Offline
Old 31st May 2011 , 02:22 PM

really? I thought my desk was small
The monitors will be on stands.. I will bring the desk more forward from the wall and the stands will go behind the desk, roughly 1ft from the wall.

I'm wanting to get the bass traps in the corners of my work area.. and behind me in the corners. I will place either diffusers or wedge tiles (or both) on the back wall behind me

Nothing is on the ceiling, I have a small rug on the little amount of floor I have.
should I consider putting something on the ceiling?

ahh didn't think of gobos.. maybe a combination of all of them? atleast then I could work on catching those first reflections
Old 31st May 2011 , 03:22 PM

The ceiling also counts as a first reflection point. As I understand it, there should be absorbers or diffusers at all first reflection points. Have you read the GIK article, How Diffusion Works?

Okay, speakers on stands behind the desk makes sense. My comment about the desk appearing large was because I couldn't see space to put the monitors. Monitors behind the desk could mean that the desk becomes a first reflection point.
Lester is offline Offline
Old 31st May 2011 , 03:44 PM

Yeah just read it now, nice article. Looking at that.. probably will get diffusion on the rear wall
I see what you mean about the desk. Is there something I can do to minimise that possibilty or should I consider maybe getting a more studio friendly desk?

I'll get some tiles up on the ceiling, but not until I setup my speakers.. how would I measure the first reflection point? Is it similar/ or same ot the mirror method?
Old 31st May 2011 , 04:24 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Yes, you can always use the mirror method to find all first reflection points.

Do not expect foam tiles to do anything useful other than reduce flutter with higher frequencies and look interesting (hence Trev's polite nudge to assess this issue). Foam tiles don't really do an awful lot to the main body of the sound, for this you need some better broadband absorbers... a cost effective method is to build the "Sound on Sound magazine style" wooden framed rockwool panels for your reflection points and superchunk rockwool wedges in your corners for bass traps. You'll find these explained by searching this forum.

Old 3rd June 2011 , 10:31 PM

Thank you all for your advice and will be looking into that Dave!
Old 13th July 2011 , 07:15 PM

Just an update on this...

I've now moved into the front room, as it's rectangular. Will be looking into making the panels and wedges once i've decided the position for the monitors

Again, thanks for all your advice everyone

shame about the door being close to the corner on the right there, also the same on my rear right, door near the corner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Setup(28-6-11).jpg (94.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 13th July 2011 , 08:23 PM
Mic Check 1!

You need to thing about how you can get those speakers up to ear height. The current positioning will not be helping your mixes.
Old 14th July 2011 , 10:29 PM

I'm going to be getting stands for the monitors, just can't afford some at the moment